Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor not ready to address benching Dalton..
In other words. This Franchise will continue to be lead by Andy Dalton.
Have a nice weekend.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 11:53 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: As bad as the Oline has been--and it's been "better" lately--probably the biggest problem with the offense is Green and Ross being out. There's no one with a threat to stretch the field and it's allowed the defense to play closer to the LOS. Combine that with bad run blocking and you have...poop. 

I doubt it would make a huge difference, but i do think it would make a noticeable difference as the year went on. 

The frustrating part if this team, and i don't know if it's more play call or QB is, Dalton hasn't been terrible all over the field. He's been very good on passes 0-10 yds to the right and middle 67/88 542 3/1 97.8 and 20+ yds outside left 3/6 126 1/0 135.4. Their best rushing production is behind LT and LG where they're averaging 4.3 and 7.2 per rush, but they've only attempted a total of 16 rushes there. Their most attempts are middle right and right end where they've attempted 23 rushes for each but only averaged 1.7 and 2.6 there. 

I have to wonder if anyone on the staff studies this and tries to taylor (no pun intended) the offense to these strengths. 

Absolutely, but the opposition can scout those same tendencies and align to take those plays away.  You often have to take what the defense gives you.  If the defensive alignment is forcing you to run right, you need to run right.  At that point it is up to the right side of the line to make their blocks, without getting penalized, or the defense is going to continue to hold fast in taking away your best points of attack.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 12:18 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Absolutely, but the opposition can scout those same tendencies and align to take those plays away.  You often have to take what the defense gives you.  If the defensive alignment is forcing you to run right, you need to run right.  At that point it is up to the right side of the line to make their blocks, without getting penalized, or the defense is going to continue to hold fast in taking away your best points of attack.

They haven't done a very good job of taking those areas away up to this point. Whether in the pass or run, there are marked differences in success and failure. It's up to the coaches to find the strengths and weaknesses of the team and make those calls during the game. It's also up to the QB to know where the hot and cold spots are on the field and allow that to dictate where he throws the ball. Theoretically, of course. It's easier for a fan to sit here and say that...but the coaches and players are the ones watching film and practicing plays all week. It's something they should be able to do.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Haven't read through all 6 or 7 pages of this thread, but I'm pretty sure I also heard Taylor say no one's job is safe, in a recent interview.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 01:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Haven't read through all 6 or 7 pages of this thread, but I'm pretty sure I also heard Taylor say no one's job is safe, in a recent interview.

Hopefully that goes for his coaching staff as well...

Reply/Quote
I don't care if we bench Dalton but we've watched the Browns throw later round and rookie QBs into hopeless situations for years. I'm not expecting much other than possibly alienating the best QB on our roster.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 04:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't care if we bench Dalton but we've watched the Browns throw later round and rookie QBs into hopeless situations for years. I'm not expecting much other than possibly alienating the best QB on our roster.

Who cares if we alienate him? It’s time to move on one way or another. Dalton is clearly not the answer at QB for this team going forward.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 04:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who cares if we alienate him? It’s time to move on one way or another. Dalton is clearly not the answer at QB for this team going forward.

I don't care but Mike brown probably does. Moving on from Dalton could be like the moving on from Marvin thing fans wanted years before it happened. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 04:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't care but Mike brown probably does. Moving on from Dalton could be like the moving on from Marvin thing fans wanted years before it happened. 

Well, if Mike Brown replaces Dalton with the same competence he replaced Marvin, then we'll being see a new QB who is some hapless dope no one else would put under center.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 06:26 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, if Mike Brown replaces Dalton with the same competence he replaced Marvin, then we'll being see a new QB who is some hapless dope no one else would put under center.

Ryan Finley was described as Dalton-lite, so we could be done with him in no time.  It's not like terrible circumstances kept us from turning on Driskel 3 minutes after we were excited to see him get some action. 
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 06:26 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, if Mike Brown replaces Dalton with the same competence he replaced Marvin, then we'll being see a new QB who is some hapless dope no one else would put under center.

Well, luckily the draft takes a lot of the risk out of it. Ofc no pick is a guarantee, but if you’re taking a consensus #1 it’s probably better than just picking someone like Taylor as your HC based on very little.

Reply/Quote
Dalton has lost 10 straight starts n Bengals don’t want to talk about it. Fml
Reply/Quote
Has it occurred to anyone that Andy can see the writing on the wall with this team and being Andy he's unwilling to make waves with ownership or coaching and so he's actively trying to get himself traded in an active / passive kind of way? 
I don't know if he's doing that, but I do know we've seen him play some very good football over the years and he didn't just suddenly forget how to play QB.. Truth is Andy could probably be a starter for any number of other teams if traded and he knows that as well as anyone. The Bengals organization has to know that too..
If that's the case then the only real question is who would replace him? If the team management thought Finely was the guy I think we would have already seen him or Dolagala take over or at least be given a shot. Personally I don't think they feel that confident in them at least until it's forced through injury. I just don't want to believe that Andy Dalton has regressed to the point many think. I'm really starting to question about him wanting traded without coming right out and saying it. He doesn't strike me as the kind who will willingly make those kinds of waves with management or fans. One sure fire way to get traded is to keep playing terrible. I dunno..maybe he's vastly underrating Mike Brown's capacity to be dumb.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
We need a QB that hates to lose. And one that truly is passionate about the position.
And one that learns from his mistakes on the field
Andy does none of the above
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 03:41 AM)impactplaya Wrote: We need a QB that hates to lose. And one that truly  is passionate about the position.

I understand some people who do nothing but whine about how bad the Bengals are.

But I never understand the people who feel that they have to make it pesonal.

You have no idea how much Dalton hates to lose.  Why do you have to go there?  Why do you have to make Dalton a bad person in your head just because he is struggling at QB? 

To embellish your vicitm status?

To make you feel better about tourself?

Why make up stuff like this?
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 03:41 AM)impactplaya Wrote: We need a QB that hates to lose. And one that truly is passionate about the position.

Andy has never given off a vibe that he’s ok with losing, at least imo. His issue is simply talent and this was on his draft card when he was drafted. Everyone knew what his ceiling was and now we’re stuck in a dilemma where we need to move on from him but until we find a better QB it makes no sense to not play him
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I understand some people who do nothing but whine about how bad the Bengals are.

But I never understand the people who feel that they have to make it pesonal.

You have no idea how much Dalton hates to lose.  Why do you have to go there?  Why do you have to make Dalton a bad person in your head just because he is struggling at QB? 

To embellish your vicitm status?

To make you feel better about tourself?

Why make up stuff like this?

It's a legitimate argument. Not just for Dalton, for any QB or player for that matter. 

The vast majority of NFL players hate to lose, but human nature clearly confirms that it's in degrees. Anyone that's been in any kind of competition can see how other people react and which ones hate losing more. It really is a thing.

Inb4 you ask me to show proof. There's no graph or stat i can produce to clearly show how one is more than the other, in the way i can show that a 8.4ypa is better than a 8.0ypa. 

A players demeanor, the way they act and the things they say do give insight to how much it bothers them to lose. A guy like Andy Dalton, who is well known to be a good, Christian man and family oriented is no different in that manner than a guy like Kurt Warner. But if you've ever watched either of them play/give interviews, there is a definite difference between the two in how much importance they put in winning a football game. 

One thing that has to be pointed out though; the talent/mental ability from player to player varies as well, so you could just as easily say that the more talented player is also the more accomplished--as well as having a better team around him. I can agree with this sentiment, while also believing that it doesn't negate the former's will to win and how it can be less than the latter's. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 01:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: , there is a definite difference between the two in how much importance they put in winning a football game. 

No there is not.

You guys act like an old girlfriend I had.  She thought that I if wasn't constantly crying and telling her I love her 20 times a day then I didn't really care about her.

If you were actually close to dalton and knew anything about how he acted after a loss I might put some weight on what you say.  But saying Andy doesn't care about losing just because he isn't bawling in a press conference is just projection.  Based on press conferences it is clear that Bill Belichick does not mind losing at all.

For some reason you are not satisfied complaining about how Dalton performs on the field.  Instead you actually have to make him a lesser person than you.  I Just don't understand fans like this.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 01:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No there is not.

You guys act like an old girlfriend I had.  She thought that I if wasn't constantly crying and telling her I love her 20 times a day then I didn't really care about her.

If you were actually close to dalton and knew anything about how he acted after a loss I might put some weight on what you say.  But saying Andy doesn't care about losing just because he isn't bawling in a press conference is just projection.  Based on press conferences it is clear that Bill Belichick does not mind losing at all.

For some reason you are not satisfied complaining about how Dalton performs on the field.  Instead you actually have to make him a lesser person than you.  I Just don't understand fans like this.

Well, i can see my last post was a waste of taking the time to try and have a thoughtful discussion. 

Let me point out one fallacy that you keep repeating that was nowhere in my post. 
"Andy doesn't care about losing just because he isn't bawling in a press conference is just projection."

It's becoming more and more clear (when it should have been a long time ago) that it's impossible to have an adult conversation with you because you continue to act like my avatar and go to great extremes to make your point. 

Since i know more about this subject than you, even though i don't have a degree in psychology (my son does--and i'm sure you'll highlight this part of the post to make some comment about how since my son has a degree, that must mean i think i know something about it), maybe someone like psychdoctor can come in and give you some insight with actual technical terms or case studies of human behavior and socioeconomic status that shows it is possible to have a more or less emotional reaction to something like losing and how it affects what you do going forward. 

That will probably be a waste of time as well since we would probably only get to hear more anecdotal stories about you and your relationships, followed by a nice little, ill informed insult. 

I think i'll just go back to snappy one-liners and memes when posting to you. 

You are, without a doubt, the perfect fan for a Mike Brown run team. 

Reply/Quote
Maybe he'll be ready to address benching Dalton now and hand over play calling to Callahan.
Reply/Quote