Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac got robbed
(02-11-2022, 11:15 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Votes are turned in BEFORE the playoffs begin.

It’s pretty annoying how many just blow this off. Sure Zac got the div title one can argue that after a 2 and 4 win season among other things but nobody expected us to do anything in the playoffs. They just need to extent the voting up to SB week. I’m not mad and I’m sure Zac knows if voting was extended he would have won hands down.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:22 AM)Whatever Wrote: Shiny new toy

[Image: the-office-ryan-howard.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:28 AM)TKUHL Wrote: It’s pretty annoying how many just blow this off. Sure Zac got the div title one can argue that after a 2 and 4 win season among other things but nobody expected us to do anything in the playoffs. They just need to extent the voting up to SB week. I’m not mad and I’m sure Zac knows if voting was extended he would have won hands down.

its a matter of do they consider that improvement all to be Zac?

Burrow?
The Defense? 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:37 AM)QueenCity Wrote: The voting.....

Mike Vrabel: 36
Matt LaFleur: 8
Rich Bisaccia: 3
Zac Taylor: 2
Bill Belichick: 1

I would have voted Bisaccia over Vrabel. 
Reply/Quote
Zac will win the Super Bowl in a couple of days and then in the upcoming seasons he'll win the award after securing another AFC North title.
Reply/Quote
I'm not upset by this. Or the way any of these awards don't include post-season. Being in the spot we are this year, I get where fans are a little more upset about not being included because we've had an amazing run. But I've always thought individual players can have a massive impact and shine without their teams even winning, and there's always the winning bias where those players on poor teams get ignored. We see it in lots of awards all the way to the HoF voting.

The award isn't for comeback coach of the year, it's just coach of the year. Vrabel's team battled injuries and still managed to secure the #1 seed in the AFC. I think it's worthy of note. And honestly I just think it's cool right now in the league that there are multiple contenders for the title, and not a shoe-in. It's part of what is making the NFL more interesting right now than it's been recently.
Reply/Quote
While I do think Vrabel was deserving and that most of the complaints are unfounded, I am pleased at the shift in fan mindset.

This fanbase expects to win. Everything.

You're going to give us Offensive Rookie of the Year? Sure. You better. You're going to give us Comeback Player of the Year? Sure. You better. You're going to short us on Coach of the Year??? Now listen here you sonofabitch
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:20 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: While I do think Vrabel was deserving and that most of the complaints are unfounded, I am pleased at the shift in fan mindset.

This fanbase expects to win. Everything.

You're going to give us Offensive Rookie of the Year? Sure. You better. You're going to give us Comeback Player of the Year? Sure. You better. You're going to short us on Coach of the Year??? Now listen here you sonofabitch

Good point and it is a fun mindset to have. I suspected Rodgers was getting MVP, but a small piece of me was wondering if I'd see Joe Burrow highlights when the top contenders were revealed. I know it was just my Bengals homer ways coming out, but hell, why not Joey B for MVP!?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:22 AM)Tony Wrote: How is Vrabel fair? They choked in the first round to the real coach of the year. What did Vrabel do so special but blow it again?

Problem is the perception and traction all this gets weeks before the choice. Yes, Vrabel is an excellent coach, already has traction in this league, did a hell of a job overall and especially with Henry out for a couple months but they were suppose to win their division, I believe, and Cinci. was picked last.

Should have been a no-brainer, imo, and that was BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE Cinci. beat them in the playoffs at THEIR THEIR THEIR place (unless this vote is prior to the playoffs in which ZT would still deserve it).
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:57 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Problem is the perception and traction all this shot gets weeks before the choice. Yes, Vrabel is an excellent coach, already has traction in this league, did a hell of a job overall and especially with Henry out for a couple months but they were suppose to win their division, I believe, and Cinci. was picked last.

Should have been a no-brainer, imo, and that was BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE Cinci. beat them in the playoffs at THEIR THEIR THEIR place.

That's my thing. Vrabel is a good coach and, sure, he won the division and the #1 seed having Ryan Tannehill at QB which usually would be more than enough to win COY any other year, oh and yeah injuries yadda yadda yadda whatevs. But, Zac Taylor took a team that was expected to finish 5th in a 4 team division, expected to have less than 0 wins, more than 20 losses, be the Ravens and Steelers bitches and instead took the Steelers and Ravens behind the woodshed and made them into honest women, took the Bengals to the division title and won the first ever Bengals playoff game since the word foot was combined with ball. If that doesn't deserve COY then the award is MEANINGLESS

Oh, and Legs Benedict people deserve to be castrated, banned, disembowled and banned again.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I will never forgive this forum for failing to make Legs Benedict at least enough of a thing for a reporter to ask Evan in a press conference “so what do you think of this Legs Benedict nickname???”
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote:  more than enough to win COY any other year, oh and yeah injuries yadda yadda yadda whatevs. But, Zac Taylor took a team that was expected to finish 5th in a 4 team division, expected to have less than 0 wins, more than 20 losses, be the Ravens and Steelers bitches and instead took the Steelers and Ravens behind the woodshed and made them into honest women, took the Bengals to the division title and won the first ever Bengals playoff game since the word foot was combined with ball. If that doesn't deserve COY then the award is MEANINGLESS

The point you are missing is that Zac did not just show up at the beginning of the year and take over this terrible 4 win team from last year.  he was actually the coach here last year when we sucked so bad.

It is hard to give him all the credit for the turnaround when he was the coach here last year when we sucked.  Seems the improvement probably had more to do with his team staying healthy and adding more talent in the draft and free agency.

Taylor won more games than last year with MORE talent.
Vrable won more games than last year with LESS talent.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:13 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I will never forgive this forum for failing to make Legs Benedict at least enough of a thing for a reporter to ask Evan in a press conference “so what do you think of this Legs Benedict nickname???”

he hates hollandaise sauce
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The point you are missing is that Zac did not just show up at the beginning of the year and take over this terrible 4 win team from last year.  he was actually the coach here last year when we sucked so bad. It is hard to give him all the credit for the turnaround when he was the coach here last year when we sucked.  Seems the improvement probably had more to do with his team staying healthy and adding more talent in the draft and free agency. Taylor won more games than last year with MORE talent. Vrable won more games than last year with LESS talent.

Yet, even with the supposed "more talent" and healthier team Zac was still EXPECTED to have at least 3 times as many losses as wins. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:37 AM)QueenCity Wrote: The voting.....

Mike Vrabel: 36
Matt LaFleur: 8
Rich Bisaccia: 3
Zac Taylor: 2
Bill Belichick: 1

They guy who got robbed was Eagles Nick Sirianni.

Took over a team that just won 4 games last year.

Had to play with a roster that had $64 million in dead cap space.  Their active payroll this year ($102 million) was only about 2/3rds of the Bengals ($154 million).  How many games do we win if you take away players making $52 million?

Still made the playoffs IN HIS FIRST SEASON AS HEAD COACH.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yet, even with the supposed "more talent" and healthier team Zac was still EXPECTED to have at least 3 times as many losses as wins. 

No he was not.

The line on Bengals wins before the season was 6.5.  That is just 2 games under .500.

No one is disputing that the expectations were wrong.  The question is "why".  In Zacs case there is some proof that the improvement was due to better health and more talent.

You seriously want to argue that the addition of Chase, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, Hilton, Awuzie, and Reif, plus full healthy seasons from Reader, Williams, Uzomah, Hubbard, Mixon, and Burrow (combined 50 games missed in '20) did not have anything with the increase in our win totals?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:12 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Wow. Lots of butt-hurt fans in here. Who cares? I can see being upset when we lose a game but who cares about awards? The super bowl is the only award that matters and the winner is determined by the outcome of the game.

I do agree that these rewards are a joke, which is why I don’t really care. They should factor in the playoffs. Rodgers doesn’t deserve mvp and he didn’t last year either. Just win baby. Rodgers just loses when it matters. Funny that Peyton manning won mvp 5 times, but mostly choked in the playoffs too. This award is meaningless for that reason.

Someone always has to be this guy.....
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 02:48 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I'm not sure why you are so upset?  You keep mentioning the playoffs but the votes were turned in BEFORE the playoffs.

If they voted after the playoffs, which they should, I would absolutely agree with you.

Even the regular season. Titans were suppose to be a super bowl contender and the Bengals in the basement again.. Make it make sense..
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 08:22 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I don't hate that Vrabel got it. Depends what weight is given to the playoffs with these awards I guess?

Tennessee has Tannehill at QB and lost Henry for a portion of the season, yet came out with the #1 seed. You could argue that the Chiefs/Bills may have picked up the #1 seed if they'd have had their act together all year, but Tennessee and GB were the two most consistent teams this year, and the Packers had Rodgers to carry them there.

I can agree it's a pretty bad pick if the playoffs are given much consideration with these awards though. Don't think Tennessee played a great game against us by any stretch.

They got the 1 seed because of Zac and the Bengals...
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They guy who got robbed was Eagles Nick Sirianni.

Took over a team that just won 4 games last year.

Had to play with a roster that had $64 million in dead cap space.  Their active payroll this year ($102 million) was only about 2/3rds of the Bengals ($154 million).  How many games do we win if you take away players making $52 million?

Still made the playoffs IN HIS FIRST SEASON AS HEAD COACH.

Not to mention he did that with Jalen Hurts as QB. 

(02-11-2022, 01:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No he was not.

The line on Bengals wins before the season was 6.5.  That is just 2 games under .500.

So, EVERYONE was expecting the Bengals to have 6.5 wins? I'm not talking about "the line". I'm talking about the expectations of the analysts and pundits. Most of whom were predicting 3-5 wins.

(02-11-2022, 01:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No one is disputing that the expectations were wrong.  The question is "why".  In Zacs case there is some proof that the improvement was due to better health and more talent.

You seriously want to argue that the addition of Chase, Hendrickson, Ogunjobi, and Reif, plus full healthy seasons from Reader, Williams, Uzomah, and Burrow did not have anything with the increase in our win totals?

You seriously want to argue that Zac didn't recognize there were parts of the team needing upgarded? That Zac played absolutely no part in drafting players or bringing in free agents? That Tobin or Katie just signed these guys on their own with absolutely no input from Zac? That if it were up to Zac, the Bengals would roll with the exact same team as last year? Seriously?
Reply/Quote