Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
surprise Bengals standing pat with their team instead of trying to improve
The time to make significant changes (trades, free agents, etc) really is the off season. Mid season trades are rare and there is no way 1 trade was going to make much of a difference here.

We did NOT make enough impact changes at the OL and LB spot in the offseason so we are where we are.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So this year the Pats don't care about winning?

Here is the deal.  Historically NFL trade deadline deals are very rare, so it takes a troll to claim that the Bengals not making a deadline deal means they don't care about winning.

That happens a lot around here.  The Bengals do something that most other teams do and a certain group here starts squealing about how it proves the Bengals are Clueless/don't care.

There have even been a few around here who have been spreading lies just to get fans more upset.  For example the Raiders were supposed to be giving Jared Cook away for nothing.  That was just total troll BS.

Historically speaking that may have had some merit. Now that compensatory picks can be traded and the nfl moved the trade deadline back two weeks, there have been more trades. Forward thinking teams with good qbs on rookie deals have the ability to add payroll to address areas of needs.

In terms of Jared Cook, a raiders beat writer commented that virtually everyone could be dealt prior the deadline. Teams generally do not come right out say player x is on the block

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 12:57 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: In terms of Jared Cook, a raiders beat writer commented that virtually everyone could be dealt prior the deadline.  Teams generally do not come right out say player x is on the block

So not a single team in the league had a need at TE?  I find that hard to believe.

Or are you saying that most teams in the league don't care about winning?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So not a single team in the league had a need at TE?  I find that hard to believe.

Or are you saying that most teams in the league don't care about winning?

I don’t know what every team’s needs are, neither do you. And only those inside the raiders organization know what was and wasn’t offered.

I didn’t say anything about other teams caring about winning or not.

Way to snip one part of my comment and ignore the main part. Not to mention putting words in my mouth

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 12:55 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The time to make significant changes (trades, free agents, etc) really is the off season. Mid season trades are rare and there is no way 1 trade was going to make much of a difference here.

We did NOT make enough impact changes at the OL and LB spot in the offseason so we are where we are.

Agree for the most part but how much value does at least looking like you're trying to win give the team hope, that there is hope ?

We've done the same old same ole for decades and what has it got us ?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:06 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I didn’t say anything about other teams caring about winning or not.  

That is the problem I have been talking about.  People claim not making a trade proves the Bengals "don't care" yet an overwhelming majority of the teams did not acquire anyone.  In fact two contending teams (Packers, Lions) actually traded AWAY talent.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2018, 05:34 PM)impactplaya Wrote: it would be nice to actually see this franchise actually think outside the proverbial box and make a attempt to upgrade a very weak situation.

My sentiments exactly. We have the worst defense in the NFL, it's clear that we could have used some help. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:33 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: My sentiments exactly. We have the worst defense in the NFL, it's clear that we could have used some help. 

The Chiefs are also desperate for help on their defense yet they did not make any trades either.

Maybe there were just any deals worth making.  Just because a guy is available that does not mean you pay any price for him.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So this year the Pats don't care about winning?

Here is the deal.  Historically NFL trade deadline deals are very rare, so it takes a troll to claim that the Bengals not making a deadline deal means they don't care about winning.

That happens a lot around here.  The Bengals do something that most other teams do and a certain group here starts squealing about how it proves the Bengals are Clueless/don't care.

There have even been a few around here who have been spreading lies just to get fans more upset.  For example the Raiders were supposed to be giving Jared Cook away for nothing.  That was just total troll BS.

Who said that?  Cook's name was on about every list of the trade rumor mill that was out there because the Raiders are going for a total rebuild.  Hell, I even saw Bruce Irvin mentioned as trade bait.  I never saw anyone mention a price.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 12:55 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The time to make significant changes (trades, free agents, etc) really is the off season. Mid season trades are rare and there is no way 1 trade was going to make much of a difference here.

This is the crux of it.....but to be fair, there were so many holes, I don't think it was feasible to get it all done in one offseason.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Who said that?  

Here are a couple

(10-26-2018, 01:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: Remember we could trade for Jared Cook easily...

(Yesterday, 04:42 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: Wrote:Probably could have gotten Raiders TE Jerod Cook for a late rd pick that wouldn't make the team anyway.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here are a couple

Talk about speculation!

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is the crux of it.....but to be fair, there were so many holes, I don't think it was feasible to get it all done in one offseason.

Chances Rob Havenstein actually makes it to FA? I'd have to bet it's pretty low given he's been really good and the Rams have Sullivan and Whitworth coming off their books (potentially) after 2019. But if he does, he'd be a great addition to the right side of the OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 02:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Chances Rob Havenstein actually makes it to FA? I'd have to bet it's pretty low given he's been really good and the Rams have Sullivan and Whitworth coming off their books (potentially) after 2019. But if he does, he'd be a great addition to the right side of the OL.

That would be HUGE.  I was pleased with the work they did this past offseason.  It's the whole reason my mood changed after the announcement that Marv was being brought back.  They essentially worked it where they got Glenn and Price with their 1st round pick.  There is two big checkmarks for the oline struggles.  Eifert was a gamble, but he was doing Eifert things before the inevitable. Contrary to what some think on here, Preston Brown was a solid signing, IMO.  Bobby Hart was a stop gap signing that had to be made.  They got Dunlap and Geno locked down.  Then there are the plethora of coaching changes, the biggest being trading in the piano for a 5 piece thrash metal setup.  Now that we're into the season, we see that Hubbard and Bates were GREAT picks as well.

Looking at all of that, about the only thing I can see that's worth complaining about was the retention of Marvin, and maybe a couple defensive coaches.  Austin is struggling too, obviously.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 01:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is the crux of it.....but to be fair, there were so many holes, I don't think it was feasible to get it all done in one offseason.

It is doable but not so when your owner moves at the speed of a tree sloth. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2018, 02:22 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: It is doable but not so when your owner moves at the speed of a tree sloth. 

LOL.....I hear ya on the tree sloth.  What I was referring to wasn't about money so much as what was available out there.  I mean, we needed a LT, RT, C, RG, S, and 2 or 3 LBs.  We got a pretty good LT, a serviceable RT, a blue chip C prospect, a nice S, and a LB that led the NFL in tackles.  That's not too bad, considering what we typically see from the Bengals.

Reply/Quote