Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transcript redactions from Orlando shooting
(06-21-2016, 11:30 AM)Benton Wrote: That's irrelevant. If they're in Florida, they're part of the problem. Everyone in Florida needs to be held accountable for the violence. You can't judge this on an individual basis.

If it were me, I'd round 'em all up and deport them. Everything south of Georgia.

Mellow

You want to deport LUCIE's children!  RED FLAG!  VICTIM CARD!  

Cry
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-21-2016, 11:35 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: You want to deport LUCIE's children!  RED FLAG!  VICTIM CARD!  

Cry

I want to clean up Florida. I like Florida. I like beaches. But it's just too violent. The only solution is to hold all the Floridians accountable.

It's nothing personal. I have Floridian friends.
(06-21-2016, 11:34 AM)Griever Wrote: what about us white folk that are unfortunate enough to live in the swampy state

I was content to contain you all in that penal colony (FL looks like a penis and all, get it ?), but Benton has spoken.
(06-21-2016, 11:40 AM)Benton Wrote: I want to clean up Florida. I like Florida. I like beaches. But it's just too violent. The only solution is to hold all the Floridians accountable.

It's nothing personal. I have Floridian friends.

We could just redact the world Florida when we mention the acts of violence. The people really don't need to know Florida is violent. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-20-2016, 06:05 PM)Millhouse Wrote: So much for this, the FBI caved in, they just released the full transcript http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/20/us/orlando-nightclub-shooting/index.html . Carry on.

Funny, no mention of Christianity or the Republicans supposed mistreatment and hatred towards gays. But, it's still their fault for the shootings, right?  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
they arent to blame for the shooting, but they have a part in the environment that has been created that would give these people a thought that they are justified in what they do against the gay community
People suck
(06-21-2016, 01:02 PM)Griever Wrote: they arent to blame for the shooting, but they have a part in the environment that has been created that would give these people a thought that they are justified in what they do against the gay community

Really? How many Christians and Republicans have celebrated the Orlando shooting (and radical groups like the Westboro assholes don't count)?And why aren't there more shootings and mass homicides of gays if Christians and Republicans have created this horribly hostile environment towards the gay community? They may not be "friends" to the gay community per se, but they played ZERO part in the Orlando shooting. But, I have found that facts are rarely tolerated by bigots.
(06-21-2016, 12:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We could just redact the world Florida when we mention the acts of violence. The people really don't need to know Florida is violent. 

I don't think that would work as Floridians are only violent to people in Florida. Wherever you are, you always know you're there. If you happen to be you somewhere else, you probably wouldn't know you needed to not be there. Or if you happen to be someone else there, you probably wouldn't realize you needed to be you somewhere else.
(06-21-2016, 01:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Really? How many Christians and Republicans have celebrated the Orlando shooting (and radical groups like the Westboro assholes don't count)?And why aren't there more shootings and mass homicides of gays if Christians and Republicans have created this horribly hostile environment towards the gay community? They may not be "friends" to the gay community per se, but they played ZERO part in the Orlando shooting. But, I have found that facts are rarely tolerated by bigots.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/06/12/patrick-criticized-tweet-after-orlando-shooting/

Well, there's that guy. Thankfully, those comments are few. Not so much because people aren't thinking those thoughts, but because in the internet age you get called out on it fairly quickly and publicly. And, for politicians, it lingers.

And no, the Texas LT Gov didn't have any part in the shooting. But if we're talking about having Christians stand up and foster a Christian world, then saying 'you will be held accountable for choices I disagree with' is not the way to do it.
(06-21-2016, 01:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Really? How many Christians and Republicans have celebrated the Orlando shooting (and radical groups like the Westboro assholes don't count)?And why aren't there more shootings and mass homicides of gays if Christians and Republicans have created this horribly hostile environment towards the gay community? They may not be "friends" to the gay community per se, but they played ZERO part in the Orlando shooting. But, I have found that facts are rarely tolerated by bigots.

i guess we can just ignore the "2nd rate citizen" treatment that they have been given for a while now...that doesn't help you out in this case

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/california-pastor-celebrates-massacre-orlando-gay-club-article-1.2673335

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/god-will-finish-the-job-texas-pastor-prays-for-injured-orlando-survivors-to-die/

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/06/12/christian-pastor-celebrates-nightclub-massacre-theres-50-less-pedophiles-in-this-world/
People suck
(06-21-2016, 01:23 PM)Benton Wrote: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/06/12/patrick-criticized-tweet-after-orlando-shooting/

Well, there's that guy. Thankfully, those comments are few. Not so much because people aren't thinking those thoughts, but because in the internet age you get called out on it fairly quickly and publicly. And, for politicians, it lingers.

Just had a friend relate a story of a church organist walking out in the middle of a service (Presbyterian) because the preacher was railing against gays for two weeks after the shooting.

Sadly there will always be idiots who can't get past their own fears so they attack and attack with no sympathy.
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-21-2016, 01:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: Just had a friend relate a story of a church organist walking out in the middle of a service (Presbyterian) because the preacher was railing against gays for two weeks after the shooting.

Sadly there will always be idiots who can't get past their own fears so they attack and attack with no sympathy.

We had a pretty contentious vote to repeal prohibition in a neighboring county a few years ago. I only heard about it because during the course of the election year, the pastor was publicly calling out members of the community (and congregation) he had seen pulling into liquor stores, getting DUIs, etc. It soon turned into 'alcohol is a stepping stone for homosexuals and gay marriage and child abuse.

Crazy (the beer-turns-you-into-a-homosexual-or-child-abuser connection) but they went there.
(06-21-2016, 01:30 PM)Benton Wrote: We had a pretty contentious vote to repeal prohibition in a neighboring county a few years ago. I only heard about it because during the course of the election year, the pastor was publicly calling out members of the community (and congregation) he had seen pulling into liquor stores, getting DUIs, etc. It soon turned into 'alcohol is a stepping stone for homosexuals and gay marriage and child abuse.

Crazy (the beer-turns-you-into-a-homosexual-or-child-abuser connection) but they went there.

As a product of 12 years of Catholic school that really doesn't surprise me at all....

Smirk
(06-21-2016, 01:24 PM)Griever Wrote: i guess we can just ignore the "2nd rate citizen" treatment that they have been given for a while now...that doesn't help you out in this case

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/california-pastor-celebrates-massacre-orlando-gay-club-article-1.2673335

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/06/god-will-finish-the-job-texas-pastor-prays-for-injured-orlando-survivors-to-die/

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2016/06/12/christian-pastor-celebrates-nightclub-massacre-theres-50-less-pedophiles-in-this-world/

because there are a few assholes out there doesn't mean that's how more than a small portion feel..  Sadly the small portions with the extremist views are often the loudest...

I consider myself on the right side of things but am not religious and have no problems with anyones sexual preference  (ranging from adult human to adult human)
(06-21-2016, 01:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: because there are a few assholes out there doesn't mean that's how more than a small portion feel..  Sadly the small portions with the extremist views are often the loudest...

I consider myself on the right side of things but am not religious and have no problems with anyones sexual preference  (ranging from adult human to adult human)

no i know that, i just provided a few examples for phil since he didnt want to bring in the radical groups like westboro

was showing him its not only the radical groups that were proud of this
People suck
(06-21-2016, 01:24 PM)Griever Wrote: i guess we can just ignore the "2nd rate citizen" treatment that they have been given for a while now...that doesn't help you out in this case

What did Al Sharpton have to say about the shootings?
(06-21-2016, 01:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What did Al Sharpton have to say about the shootings?

why dont you find the link, you brought him in 
People suck
(06-21-2016, 01:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What did Al Sharpton have to say about the shootings?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/religious-leaders-orlando-shooting_us_575ef665e4b071ec19eea15c

Quote:“I myself have been in churches, or given lectures, or listened to guests/callers on my national radio show and been disappointed by people who otherwise consider themselves ministers, activists or social justice seekers express such homophobic views,” said Rev. Al Sharpton in a blog on HuffPost. “I’ve also been shocked at the vitriolic language used by some clergy members in public and in private.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-al-sharpton/dont-be-an-accomplice-to_b_10441774.html?1465839176

Quote:Don’t Be An Accomplice To Terrorism

The nation is mourning once again; senseless violence has again taken innocent lives, ripped families apart and left us with many unanswered questions. As we grieve and try to comprehend the incomprehensible, it is important that we remain united and not fall into the trap of division and hatred. Homophobia and Islamophobia are twin partners to terrorism. As information is slowly being revealed in Orlando, what we are witnessing is a blatant act of homophobia and evil in its worst form. But what is also transpiring in the aftermath of this tragedy is a knee-jerk reaction to blame Islam and Muslims.

This is precisely what terrorists, extremists and groups like ISIS want — division. We cannot succumb to such fear and disunity; we must remain vigilant in our will to stop any and all acts of terrorism, and denounce both homophobia and Islamophobia. This is a moment where we are being tested, and we cannot fail by answering hate with more hatred. 

The LGBTQ community has long suffered from attacks, discrimination and injustice in society. Despite progress on marriage equality, the community still faces prejudice and unfairness in housing, employment and elsewhere all throughout the country. In addition, the prevalence of open homophobic statements in our discourse should disturb everyone. I myself have been in churches, or given lectures, or listened to guests/callers on my national radio show and been disappointed by people who otherwise consider themselves ministers, activists or social justice seekers express such homophobic views. I’ve also been shocked at the vitriolic language used by some clergy members in public and in private. Bigotry against the LGBTQ community lead to the spirit of this man’s horrendous hate crime in Orlando this past weekend. That is why homophobia in any form cannot be tolerated whether it’s overt biased laws that some try to implement, or subtle comments that others feel comfortable making. None of it is okay, ever.

As we take a stand against homophobia, it is simultaneously important that we do not blame Muslims or the religion of Islam. This was a horrific act committed by a person professing to follow Islam who clearly didn’t understand the religion, and who frankly could have been a member of any religion. Muslims did not perpetrate this massacre; a crazed homophobic monster did. Our response to this immense calamity cannot be Islamophobia — which I’ve also heard go unchecked. Some are sadly using this catastrophic incident to push more fear, more hatred and their own political agendas. Instead of blaming billions of people for the devastating actions of one individual, we must also stand with the Muslim community so that they are not scapegoated and subjected to hatred and bias attacks. 

The goal of terrorism is to strike fear and terror into the hearts of people so that they feel unsafe to go about their daily lives. Another goal of terrorists and extremists is to create an environment where we are pitted against one another and where we answer hatred with more hatred. President Obama said there is no known evidence yet that the Orlando shooting was directed by ISIS or part of a larger plot, but ISIS allegedly was so quick to claim the shooter as one of their own because this is what they want. We cannot allow the terrorists to win. Groups like ISIS want Muslims to believe that they are not welcome in the United States and in other western countries, when nothing could be further from the truth. During these difficult times, we cannot give in to Islamophobia or blame billions of people who follow the same religion. 

As we continue to denounce hatred, whether against the LGBTQ community or the Muslim community, we must remain united in our resolve to keep our great nation progressing forward. This is the most controversial and stressful of times; how we respond will be crucial. 

Our great civil rights icon, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., once stated:

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

The test before us is whether we will be an accomplice to terrorism by perpetrating Islamophobia or homophobia in work or deed, or whether we are going to be part of those that say we are going to fight terrorism by uniting against hatred in all of its forms. Let us stand tall together; or else we will fall apart in the worst way. For hostility and division will only give evil what it wants.
(06-21-2016, 02:28 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/religious-leaders-orlando-shooting_us_575ef665e4b071ec19eea15c

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-al-sharpton/dont-be-an-accomplice-to_b_10441774.html?1465839176

I already know what he said, and it's totally amusing to see him calling for unity when he's always fanning the flames for racial division.
(06-21-2016, 03:20 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I already know what he said, and it's totally amusing to see him calling for unity when he's always fanning the flames for racial division.

Yeah...wouldn't want to have someone calling for unity if he never did before.

Looks bad for people who want unity.

Mellow