Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals, Lafell closing in on deal
The Bengals have lost receivers Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones to free agency. Soon, they likely will be adding a replacement.

Per a league source, the Bengals and Brandon LaFell are closing in on striking a deal that would place the veteran wideout in Cincinnati.

LaFell, cut by the Patriots after a relatively disappointing 2015 season, spent four years with the Panthers and two in New England. He maxed out with 957 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in 2014.

With receiver A.J. Green and tight end Tyler Eifert on the field, LaFell can benefit significantly from the attention paid to those players, and perhaps be a significant contributor in the Cincinnati offense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/23/bengals-lafell-closing-in-on-a-deal/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd be curious to see what the dollar figure is.
Reply/Quote
I think it can be a nice addition if he signs.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Maybe around 2 years 6.5
Reply/Quote
I agree, WR is still necessary in the draft but at least the bengals would have a 2nd WR on the roster who has contributed with significant production over the course of a season
Reply/Quote
I would be extremely happy with this signing. Cheap and would help lessen the blow of losing Jones. Win-win. ThumbsUp
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
I would love this signing. Lafell has a lot of very nice attributes for a WR.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 09:26 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I agree, WR is still necessary in the draft but at least the bengals would have a 2nd WR on the roster who has contributed with significant production over the course of a season

looks like the bengals coaches are visiting with most first round WR prospects
Reply/Quote
Its looking more and more like the Bengals are going to sign LaFell. Do you guys think he is an upgrade over Sanu?

I would say he is based on these stats:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12576/brandon-lafell

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14922/mohamed-sanu

I think LaFell will fit into this offense really well.

That would mean we would be getting a better player than Sanu at about half the cost. Great work, Bengals.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Im ok with this. He was the best out of whats left.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
About the same.. Just the injury part scares me a little.
Reply/Quote
Well, I think he is better than sanu. But sanu might have been a better fit for hue and the gadget plays but I think Lafell is a better overall wide reciever.

Also I am not sure Lafell plates the slot. So would that change draft plans and going after more of a slot guy, or is he kore insurance?
Reply/Quote
Another Patriots cast off WR? Sweet. Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 10:26 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Also I am not sure Lafell plates the slot.  So would that change draft plans and going after more of a slot guy, or is he kore insurance?

Found this the other day, thought it was a good read.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2014/3/16/5516342/breaking-down-patriots-receiver-brandon-lafell

Quote:Let's start with the numbers. For the past three seasons, LaFell has operated as the Panthers #3 receiving target, behind newly signed Raven wide receiver Steve Smith, and tight end Greg Olsen. Over those three years, he's picked up 217 targets, 129 receptions (59.4%), 1917 yards, and 12 touchdowns. Quarterback Cam Newton has thrown 10 interceptions in his direction.

None of those numbers are too impressive, but this 6'2, 210 lbs receiver is consistent. He's picked up 36-49 receptions, 613-677 yards, and 3-5 touchdowns over the past three seasons.

1) Wide receivers aren't the only options in the passing game. In fact, 14 teams feature a tight end in their top 2 for receptions. So it's not too crazy to have your WR2 being the third target on your team. However, why is LaFell being paid if he's probably not higher than WR4?

According to Pro Football Focus, LaFell spent 63.0% of his time in the slot. This wasn't a one-time thing, as he spent 65.5% of his time in the slot in 2012. For comparison, former Patriot fling Emmanuel Sanders was in the slot for 67.0% of his 2012 snaps. In 2013, LaFell fell in between Edelman (49.% in the slot) and Amendola (77.4%).

The Panthers loved to use LaFell in motion and even flexed him in-and-out of their backfield. He wasn't so much of a jackknife, as he was a chess piece. They used his size inside as a formidable blocker, and they had him run his routes with a free release.

The bold part refers to his time in Carolina. Not sure if the Pats used him in the slot or in motion, I didn't watch a lot of Pats games. But that sounds like his strong suit.

All in all, sounds like a great fit for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 10:33 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Another Patriots cast off WR? Sweet. Mellow

he was more a rental for the pats. this guy is a big cat
Reply/Quote
Good. We need as many legit WRs in front of Burkhead and Alford as we can get.
Reply/Quote
Ive seen him play and I don't find this to be exciting in the least bit. Living in NE, the Pats are on all the time. If we sign him don't expect him to stink it up or light it up. Maybe he'll have a chip on his shoulder to perform after being cut by the Pats. Lets hope so if this signing goes through.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like he would fit the bengals mold very well!

Hope it happens sooner than later. Followed quickly by that 2 year deal for Reggie nelson and maybe a 1-2 for hall

Then focus 100% attention to draft
Reply/Quote
Love it if it happens.

It gives us some much-needed depth and opens-up our draft plans because, even though we still could very likely take a receiver in the first of early, we're not forced to take a receiver that high.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2016, 10:33 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Another Patriots cast off WR? Sweet.  Mellow

Except LaFell actually played decently at the position. Tate didn't.
Reply/Quote