Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone think Taylor is improving?
(11-22-2021, 11:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Based off what? Drew Sample, Ryan Finley, and Jackson Carman?

He sucked his way into Burrow, and the Bengals were guaranteed a great player at #5 this year so long as they didn't go QB.

Drafting hasn't really been great otherwise unless you're talking maybe McPherson, but he was universally the highest rated kicker in that draft so it wasn't exactly a diamond in the rough that he found or anything.

Marvin was obsessed with finding a OLB/DE hybrid who could rush the passer, and had a love of making guys change position with generally poor results. He said that Dennard was the best rookie CB he had ever seen, and then Dennard could barely get into a game until his 4th year.

I don't think either of them would make good GMs, I think we just say that when we don't think guys are good coaches, but they're good people... and because we've never had a GM, thus have never seen what an actual GM could do for the Bengals.

- - - - - - 

As to the OP... Zac has improved, but he hardly could have gotten worse. I still don't think he's the answer and I think that for an offense built with Burrow/Mixon/Chase/Boyd/Higgins, it's not as good or consistent as it should be. He's not elevating anyone with his offense.
Not fair BTW I think Tobin is our defacto gm. Logan Wilson Pratt. It speaks volumes that Hodge got claimed by Dolphins. As far as Free Agency Mike Zac Duke Katie all meet. 85 percent of the input goes to Zac and Duke just a opinion. For all we know it was Tobin pushing for Hart to remain as long as he did.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 07:49 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We seem much better prepared this year compared to last 2. We seem to be open to running different personnel and using more misdirections and playing to strengths. He was really bad first 2 years he has improved to about average finally.

He couldn't get any worse lol

But yeah, he is young and improving which is what we all wanted to see.

There are still plays that make you scratch your head but overall he is better. Just need to have our OL protect Burrow better
and it will make everything look better including Zac. The nice part about Zac is he isn't old, so he can learn. Some of the old 
dogs cannot learn new tricks. Have to adapt to the NFL game, cannot act like it was 20 years ago and win anymore.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 11:59 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Not fair BTW I think Tobin is our defacto gm. Logan Wilson Pratt. It speaks volumes that Hodge got claimed by Dolphins. As far as Free Agency Mike Zac Duke Katie all meet. 85 percent of the input goes to Zac and Duke just a opinion. For all we know it was Tobin pushing for Hart to remain as long as he did.

Yeah, you can't just look at the bad (perceived or actually bad) without looking at the good. You have Jonah Williams, Burrow*, Chase, Wilson, Ossai looked phenomenal, Pratt somewhat, ADG somewhat, Evans looks like a solid contributor moving forward, Tee, Money Mac, jury out on Carman, and then the FA targets/additions as well as moving on from guys like WJIII instead of overpaying to keep. Personnel wise, I really like what they have done. We are also the least penalized team in the league by far.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 02:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, you can't just look at the bad (perceived or actually bad) without looking at the good. You have Jonah Williams, Burrow*, Chase, Wilson, Ossai looked phenomenal, Pratt somewhat, ADG somewhat, Evans looks like a solid contributor moving forward, Tee, Money Mac, jury out on Carman, and then the FA targets/additions as well as moving on from guys like WJIII instead of overpaying to keep. Personnel wise, I really like what they have done. We are also the least penalized team in the league by far.

All true. They have put a damn talented team together with leaders and they play disciplined which shows good coaching.

No one can deny that, not even TLL lol

Plus listing Jackson Carman as a bad pick is BS, he just got hurt right when he was coming into his own.

We have drafted well since Taylor has got here, a couple bad picks, namely Finley but that happens.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true. They have put a damn talented team together with leaders and they play disciplined which shows good coaching.

Plus listing Jackson Carman as a bad pick is BS, he just got hurt right when he was coming into his own.

We have drafted well since Taylor has got here, a couple bad picks, namely Finley but that happens.

Agreed, and I'm far from anointing these guys as a good staff, yet. Just trying to be objective. If we're being honest, all of us were at our rope's end going in to the season. We've seen some improvements, some of them drastic. Now to finish it off and earn themselves another shot. If they stumble to a losing record? Cut bait.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 03:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed, and I'm far from anointing these guys as a good staff, yet. Just trying to be objective. If we're being honest, all of us were at our rope's end going in to the season. We've seen some improvements, some of them drastic. Now to finish it off and earn themselves another shot. If they stumble to a losing record? Cut bait.

No doubt. We need to make the Playoffs to keep these guys around, this hasn't changed just because we are playing well
at the moment. This has to keep up. We will see how it goes, the team is a good team and they did a good job of putting 
it together but in the end the coaches have to outcoach the best. I liked what I saw in the Ravens game the most this year.

John Harbaugh is a good HC and Taylor outcoached him which shown me something.

We will see if Taylor can outcoach a Belichick, this is the test as I think this team and the Colts are the teams to watch.
Reply/Quote
Hard to say. We have way better talent, and we're not trying to tank anymore. So that explains some of the improvement. I thought Zac's gameplans vs the Steelers and Ravens were top notch.

We've also had some duds though. Would we be better with a better scheme and game plans? Maybe. Hard to be mad at someone for wondering. I think at best, Zac still has to prove himself...and this last stretch (which looks moderately difficult, but has a bunch of home games) will tell us what we need to know.

I know people make similar claims every week, but the playoffs are on the line and the team is about as healthy as it gets. If we have a losing record over the next 7 games, that will he very telling, IMO. We're set up to win.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 03:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hard to say. We have way better talent, and we're not trying to tank anymore. So that explains some of the improvement. I thought Zac's gameplans vs the Steelers and Ravens were top notch.

We've also had some duds though. Would we be better with a better scheme and game plans? Maybe. Hard to be mad at someone for wondering. I think at best, Zac still has to prove himself...and this last stretch (which looks moderately difficult, but has a bunch of home games) will tell us what we need to know.

I know people make similar claims every week, but the playoffs are on the line and the team is about as healthy as it gets. If we have a losing record over the next 7 games, that will he very telling, IMO. We're set up to win.

I would agree. Coming out of the bye and winning on the road was another check off the list for this squad....and that dates back to Marvin. If they can't win at least 3 more games, barring horrendous injury luck, I'd say stick a fork in em. The way the AFC is going right now, the playoffs are on the line EVERY week. I chalk a couple losses (CHI and CLE) up to bad turnovers, NYJ was the one where the gameplan seemed bad, and we still scored a lot. Against Cleveland, once we fell behind a couple of scores, we played right into their wheelhouse. You can't let Nick Chubb take over the game, you gotta make them beat you throwing the ball....and to be fair, they did some of that too...lol.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 09:48 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree with this and he definitely killed in the draft and FA. 

Think everything is trending up and Bengals should be a juggernaut the next couple of years if he keeps this core and adds a couple more pieces and even has a chance to make some noise this year.

If he does pan out ? Then he could be here for a very long time and that's worth the gamble in my book. Just don't see it as a time to cut bait with him now after all the great offseason moves he made. Plus he is already outdoing a lot of predictions on here about the Bengals win totals before the season began. Plus the players seem to really like him. 

I keep seeing people say this but: 

1. How much input/how responsible is he for the draft and free agency? 

2. Have our drafts really been THAT good? Burrow and Chase were no brainers...Logan Wilson has been good. What other guys are contributing significantly to our team from his drafts? Tee Higgins I could maybe give you, although he has regressed. 

I think Zac has done an OK job, and this is coming from a guy that has railed on him more than anyone. I do think he is limited offensively by the OL but I also don't think he's a good enough coach to scheme around/game plan around its deficiencies. IMO there are a lot of other things we could do to limit how bad the OL actually is. More misdirection, RPO, screens, etc. The pass game consists of either a quick slant or a deep chuck to Chase. There's not 15-20 yard chunk plays. That's what kind of drives me nuts.  
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I do think he is improving! Just need to upgrade the o-line and D-coordinated in the off-season!
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true. They have put a damn talented team together with leaders and they play disciplined which shows good coaching.

This is such a huge point that no one talks about. This team is DISCIPLINED. 

Its so refreshing to not see a ton of penalties and stupid shit during the games. Not a lot of false starts, off-sides, cheap shot BS. That has 100% improved under ZT. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 03:55 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I would agree. Coming out of the bye and winning on the road was another check off the list for this squad....and that dates back to Marvin. If they can't win at least 3 more games, barring horrendous injury luck, I'd say stick a fork in em. The way the AFC is going right now, the playoffs are on the line EVERY week. I chalk a couple losses (CHI and CLE) up to bad turnovers, NYJ was the one where the gameplan seemed bad, and we still scored a lot. Against Cleveland, once we fell behind a couple of scores, we played right into their wheelhouse. You can't let Nick Chubb take over the game, you gotta make them beat you throwing the ball....and to be fair, they did some of that too...lol.

Zac has been doing a lot of things this year that Marv rarely did.

Beating Steelers in their building, winning in prime time, looking good after a bye.

That's why I reeeeally want to see this team in the playoffs. This year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Mmmm! Bait!

Fire this guy. Dried and cold poop on the floor is better than a wet steamy one. He is still bad. The team talent has improved leaps and bounds yet the team is still not performing at the level they should. I find the defense to be the most improved area of this team and I believe he has little to do with that. Mixon, for all the hate, is good. So is Burrow, CJ, Higgins, Chase and Boyd. Aside from the Garbage Pail Kids of an offensive line, things should be pretty good. Would Bruce Arians have this team 10-0? No, but I think we would be much better than we are.

And before anyone starts that BS about how close we were to winning more games, we were just as close to having a losing record, even with beating the dumpster fire of the Jags and Detroit.

Improving from where we were is not that big of a deal, given going from the #1OA in the draft to the #5OA. Pretty much have to improve with that. If only listening to his post game news conferences shows this guy just doesn't have 'it.' The team is close. So close. I believe a couple a pieces and this isn't a playoff appearance, I'm talking AFC title game. I think Taylor will ruin that. Players are going to take their skills to a contender, if they don't end up on broken first.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Hard to tell if the roster improved or if the coaching did
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 08:46 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Hard to tell if the roster improved or if the coaching did

The roster has improved but most importantly, the health has improved. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I think he does still get too cute sometimes and try to do unnecessary things to make himself look like a genius, but he has been a lot better and it seems like he's getting the feels for the easiest way to win.

I do think (hope) that, like I said, we can give Mixon the ball 20+ times and still be very successful and put up lots of points.
Reply/Quote
Zac is getting better, but is it happening fast enough? I mean the two games prior to the Raiders, the team just looked uninspired, then thankfully they were able to meet up with another reeling team and get that win on the road.

Zac just needs to focus on big picture issues, and let position coaches and coordinators do what they are paid to do. Zac should oversee the entire team, and allow everyone under him do their jobs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Can I get a thumbs down too?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think Lou is the most improved. I’d really like to see Zac bring in a solid veteran offensive mind and focus more on head coaching which I think is one of his better traits.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 08:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The roster has improved but most importantly, the health has improved. 

Dramatically.

Every team has injuries but we had an unusually high amount last year and an unusually low amount this season.
Reply/Quote