Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Broncos expected to go after Whitworth
(02-22-2017, 04:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: I mean we really don't know, it may not be an issue. We are all here freaking out but there may be a plan in place that will come together before FA opens. Deadlines spur actions, so I am sure some things will pick up in a week or two.

You're right, but knowing this team, it's enough to make fans really uneasy.  This front office's Super Bowl is not played in early February.  It's played in March and it's called winning negations with players.  They're all about the "team friendly deal" and generally don't win bidding wars.  Their MO is extending guys before it comes down to a bidding war.  Once guys hit the market, the FO here is greatly disadvantaged by their stubbornness and generally lax attitude about improving or winning games.

He's got them over a barrel in every way right now.  If he wants to go, the only thing they can do to stop it is tag him, which would be really expensive.  

If these morons running the team run Ogbuehi and Fisher out there as starters in 2017, I hope Andy retires.  He should.  He should quit on the organization if they quit on him.  This family and staff has been spending too much time smelling their own farts and getting overinflated egos for the relative success of the Dalton-Green era.  They seem to think that the moral victories mean they can revert to their old ways of inaction and complacency.  

This arrogance will take time to dissipate.  I think another disaster like Andy's abrupt retirement would send a wake up call and force their hand.  We're not going to win with this staff and roster anyway, especially if the only good players on the line walk.  

The other thing that sucks about Whit and Z potentially leaving is that it means we can probably forget about using the draft to add players to address what we see as weaknesses on the roster.  The o-line will be one big weakness.  It will require at least 3 player upgrades and almost nothing could justify not using a first on a tackle, no matter how bad the reach.  Whit and Z gone plus the refusal to replace Scrodine will make it necessary.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 04:46 PM)samhain Wrote: You're right, but knowing this team, it's enough to make fans really uneasy.  This front office's Super Bowl is not played in early February.  It's played in March and it's called winning negations with players.  They're all about the "team friendly deal" and generally don't win bidding wars.  Their MO is extending guys before it comes down to a bidding war.  Once guys hit the market, the FO here is greatly disadvantaged by their stubbornness and generally lax attitude about improving or winning games.

He's got them over a barrel in every way right now.  If he wants to go, the only thing they can do to stop it is tag him, which would be really expensive.  

If these morons running the team run Ogbuehi and Fisher out there as starters in 2017, I hope Andy retires.  He should.  He should quit on the organization if they quit on him.  This family and staff has been spending too much time smelling their own farts and getting overinflated egos for the relative success of the Dalton-Green era.  They seem to think that the moral victories mean they can revert to their old ways of inaction and complacency.  

This arrogance will take time to dissipate.  I think another disaster like Andy's abrupt retirement would send a wake up call and force their hand.  We're not going to win with this staff and roster anyway, especially if the only good players on the line walk.  

The other thing that sucks about Whit and Z potentially leaving is that it means we can probably forget about using the draft to add players to address what we see as weaknesses on the roster.  The o-line will be one big weakness.  It will require at least 3 player upgrades and almost nothing could justify not using a first on a tackle, no matter how bad the reach.  Whit and Z gone plus the refusal to replace Scrodine will make it necessary.

Shit like this is EXACTLY why Palmer said to hell with it, IMO.  It's like "deja vu all over again."

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 04:46 PM)samhain Wrote: You're right, but knowing this team, it's enough to make fans really uneasy.  This front office's Super Bowl is not played in early February.  It's played in March and it's called winning negations with players.  They're all about the "team friendly deal" and generally don't win bidding wars.  Their MO is extending guys before it comes down to a bidding war.  Once guys hit the market, the FO here is greatly disadvantaged by their stubbornness and generally lax attitude about improving or winning games.

We have seen some ineptness in the past but damn you are right and this would be the worst.

Completely would destroy all of our good players, not just Dalton. Green and all the weapons, Gio who just signed for 3 years,
Geno, Burfict, Dunlap and the boyz would all be tired and no matter the Defense it doesn't matter if they are on the field all the
time. To let both Whit and Zeit go would be totally insane by the FO cause it would be committing suicide.

Believe in my self righteous suicide..
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 04:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Shit like this is EXACTLY why Palmer said to hell with it, IMO.  It's like "deja vu all over again."

So true.  I remember Palmer getting plastered and there did not seem much concern from anyone in FO.  Implied by their lack of concern was "this is football get use to it."

Thank God Dalton is more mobile!
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:13 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: So true.  I remember Palmer getting plastered and there did not seem much concern from anyone in FO.  Implied by their lack of concern was "this is football get use to it."

Thank God Dalton is more mobile!

Absolutely.  We had guys like Livings, Guichack, and Roland replacing very good players like Bobbie Williams, Big Willie, Levi, etc.  It was pathetic, and Lord knows Paul Joel wasn't going to coach those scrubs up into anything but what they were.

Reply/Quote
Lots of teams will pursue him. They won't have to give him a massive 5 year deal. They'd rather pay 2 years and $20 million than 5 years and $60 million or even $50 million.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We have seen some ineptness in the past but damn you are right and this would be the worst.

Completely would destroy all of our good players, not just Dalton. Green and all the weapons, Gio who just signed for 3 years,
Geno, Burfict, Dunlap and the boyz would all be tired and no matter the Defense it doesn't matter if they are on the field all the
time. To let both Whit and Zeit go would be totally insane by the FO cause it would be committing suicide.

Believe in my self righteous suicide..

There's zero reason at all not to sign him.  Zero.  Especially if we are to believe that they are punting on Zeitler before the FA period even starts.  They are absolutely not cash strapped in any way.  They will not allocate any money to big contracts for outside free agents.  Anything short of signing 2 of the big 3 is unacceptable IMO.  

That said, they'll probably take up the money extending Maualuga, re-signing Peko to a 4-year deal, and giving Bodine a 5-year 30 million dollar extension.  DOn't forget Hill, either, lol.
Reply/Quote
Whit has a way better chance at Super Bowl with Denver than at Cincinnati

How does Denver come up with the money to sign top free agents while we are always rolling over and saving for rookie pool.

Denver will get Romo and Whit. They will find the money.

Whit has been loyal to Bengals. Bengals management has not been loyal to guys like Whit with awful personnel decisions and awful decisions on coaches.

Whit is one of my five favorite Bengals of all time. He deserves to go to a team that will do what it takes to win.  :andy:

Cincinnati is not that team.  :paul: :paul:

I have been blindly loyal to the Bengals since 1967 but reality set in after the playoff loss to Pittsburgh and the continued retention of Marv, Alexander and players like  Bodine., Peko and Rey M.
Reply/Quote
The fact that we even have to have a thread like this is a big slap in the face from the FO. For god's sake, pay the man!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm really not worried about it. He said on his interview that he was talking to the Bengals and the goal was to finish his career here.

The only way he leaves is if they low ball the shit out of him and I can't see them doing that. If they offer him a 1 year $10 million dollar type deal, he's going to stay put.

He's got a family and I'm pretty sure the last thing he wants to do is uproot everyone and move just for an extra million dollars. I truly believe he wants to finish his career as a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:19 PM)samhain Wrote: There's zero reason at all not to sign him.  Zero.  Especially if we are to believe that they are punting on Zeitler before the FA period even starts.  They are absolutely not cash strapped in any way.  They will not allocate any money to big contracts for outside free agents.  Anything short of signing 2 of the big 3 is unacceptable IMO.  

That said, they'll probably take up the money extending Maualuga, re-signing Peko to a 4-year deal, and giving Bodine a 5-year 30 million dollar extension.  DOn't forget Hill, either, lol.

I know that all of this is speculation, and we have no idea what the future may bring, but knowing this team's history in FA and coupling it with Hobspin's warning shots, this does not look good.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:25 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm really not worried about it.  He said on his interview that he was talking to the Bengals and the goal was to finish his career here.

The only way he leaves is if they low ball the shit out of him and I can't see them doing that.  If they offer him a 1 year $10 million dollar type deal, he's going to stay put.

He's got a family and I'm pretty sure the last thing he wants to do is uproot everyone and move just for an extra million dollars.  I truly believe he wants to finish his career as a Bengal.

I agree with the money part, except I wouldn't be shocked at a lowball offer, but if the man gets a shot to play with a legit contender, he might be inclined to rent a condo somewhere for a couple years during the season.

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 03:54 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Getting Whit is probably a prelude to going for Romo.

I doubt Romo will play for any team that has OL issues after the injuries he's had. So they probably go for Whit, and then say "Come here Romo, you'll be nice and safe while throwing to Thomas and Sanders."

been some chatter around denver about them going after rivers since he's said he doesnt want to play for the chargers in LA.  that would be scary.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 05:19 PM)samhain Wrote: There's zero reason at all not to sign him.  Zero.  Especially if we are to believe that they are punting on Zeitler before the FA period even starts.  They are absolutely not cash strapped in any way.  They will not allocate any money to big contracts for outside free agents.  Anything short of signing 2 of the big 3 is unacceptable IMO.  

Completely agree with your first paragraph, that is spot on.

I doubt they do what you said in the 2nd paragraph. Like i said, we have seen ineptness in the past out of the FO
but that would be frickin' nutz. We don't go that far. This Offseason has scared me though, after a season like we
just had they should of atleast replaced the O-line coach. He was the main reason we sucked last year.

Like others have said PA must have a life-time agreement with MB or something.

Anywhere else an O-line coach that did what he just did would be gone.

(02-22-2017, 05:25 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm really not worried about it.  He said on his interview that he was talking to the Bengals and the goal was to finish his career here.

The only way he leaves is if they low ball the shit out of him and I can't see them doing that.  If they offer him a 1 year $10 million dollar type deal, he's going to stay put.

He's got a family and I'm pretty sure the last thing he wants to do is uproot everyone and move just for an extra million dollars.  I truly believe he wants to finish his career as a Bengal.

Hope you are right man.

(02-22-2017, 05:30 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with the money part, except I wouldn't be shocked at a lowball offer, but if the man gets a shot to play with a legit contender, he might be inclined to rent a condo somewhere for a couple years during the season.

I would be a little shocked with a lowball offer, Whit is the one guy that could hold this team together but we need
to reassure the guy by atleast showing we want to win it all. He might be too smart though and see right through it.

LOL.

Sure would be hard for me to believe that this Owner on down want to win it all. Mellow
Reply/Quote
my money is Minnesota.

kalil's $11 million to sit around is up if I remember right. I'd imagine they're throwing that at whit, who is a lot less injured, a lot more consistent and puts them in an immediate chance to have a solid line. And it makes sense for whit. He knows some of the staff already and they've got a playoff team waiting on a lineman.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Whit goes off in the pursuit of a Championship. And I wouldn't blame him for seeking one. He knows Mr. Cheap Brown isn't going to do what it will take to make this team a contender !
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2017, 04:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So bring him back here, he is our key piece.

Cannot believe we are even letting this be spoken of. Shocked

The Bengals don;t control the player.. maybe they have offered him something maybe he has decided to test market.. we see this all the team with players and teams... it is called leverage... that is what FA do in this situation. 
Reply/Quote
So Denver wants him. Does that means they'll get him? I'll save my panic for when something more than words happens.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Denver sucks and is in a worse cap situation than us

If he goes there its only because we gave him a really bad offer
Reply/Quote
What hasn't he done for us? Mike Brown needs to pay him and then SFTU. On to re-inking Zeitler and Dre K. If we have to let anyone go, it can't be Whit. I'd be torn between DreK and Zeitler. Just try to get them both done.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote