Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ to the Jets
Auden Tate … come on down !

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 09:18 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Auden Tate … come on down !

I feel like Tate would’ve taken snaps from Same if he had any ability at all to play TE.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 09:19 PM)Housh Wrote: I feel like Tate would’ve taken snaps from Same if he had any ability at all to play TE.

Yeah, I gotcha . Desperation mode is kicking in.

Reply/Quote
Coming in late so this has already probably been said by others.

1. TE just is not a high value position with the best WR trio in the league.

2. CJ probably went to NY to get his foot in the media business while he is still playing. Uzo loves him some camera time.

I wish him the best of luck. If he can stay healthy he will probably put up pretty good numbers on a team that does not have 3 top level WRs.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 07:59 PM)pally Wrote:

Makes me sad as I wanted him to stay here and you never would of thought that before this last season. He became a leader
and a good TE for us and had his best season here. Hope he does well with the Jets, good luck with that. But as others said 
we weren't going to pay him 8 mil a year. We can get a better TE, maybe Gronk or Ertz still want to come here or a younger 
guy like Ingram.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, this is devastating news. I'm going to miss CJ so much.
Reply/Quote
Ahhh good ole Mike Florio never missing a chance to hate on the Bengals.

Apparently CJ “bolts” from the Bengals. Then the first sentence is “ Tight end C.J. Uzomah, after suffering through plenty of lean years in Cincinnati, is moving on.“

Anyway, I’m fine with letting him go as long as we use the money for another o line or CB who can start. Address TE in the draft, we don’t make good enough use out of the spot to spend a lot of cap on it with these other more pressing needs. CJ was awesome for us, wish him the best, but it is the right decision for the Bengals.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/14/c-j-uzomah-bolts-the-bengals-for-the-jets/amp/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'll miss him as he's such a great teammate and an extremely under-rated player for us. But, I think we can replace him in the draft. Probably need to sign a cheaper FA tight end to be sure. But we also have young guys that have been in the system that could step up.

It makes a lot more sense to spend the money on the offensive line. I'm really happy with the first couple of signings. I think they aren't done yet. I still see a G/C and a RT being signed. RT is the biggest need remaining. I'd feel a lot better about our oline if we could get a solid RT.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 08:01 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Damn. Guess money matters than all that rah rah shishkambah he put up all year. You've got the inferior Jets QB throwing to you, good luck CJ.

Yeah. Why in the hell...well, money. nvm.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
We have no proper dual threat TE (granted UZO stepped up last year) Still.... So Sample/ Moss wouldnt really be much different than recent years pass. Just ball out with a FA. i'm even ok with jumping up for Mayers...

Reply/Quote
It's been a bummer of a day. Not only have some of my favorite Reds been shipped out, but one of the most popular Bengals of all time (for me) is gone. Oh well. We move on.
Reply/Quote
Bummed he's gone.

He brought the type of passion that other guys feed off of, and you can never have enough of that type of leadership.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 08:17 PM)Yogo Wrote: I'm bummed.  I liked CJ and what he brought to the team.  I feel like the Bengals probably wanted him back for like $6 mil a year at most, I can't blame him for getting $8 mil a year.

Maybe we can get OJ Howard.  That would be an upgrade, but we really lost a lot of the locker room atmosphere value.

Has OJ played a full or even a half of a season?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 09:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Makes me sad as I wanted him to stay here and you never would of thought that before this last season. He became a leader
and a good TE for us and had his best season here. Hope he does well with the Jets, good luck with that. But as others said 
we weren't going to pay him 8 mil a year. We can get a better TE, maybe Gronk or Ertz still want to come here or a younger 
guy like Ingram.

Hate to be the one to break it to you Nate.....but Ertz resigned in Arizona before FA for like 15M a year (could have that average off though)
Reply/Quote
I'm sad to see CJ go, but this team cannot afford to spend 8 million on a TE, and fill other holes on the roster. I actually see the Bengals doing something like this now with the TE position.

1) sign Anthony Firkser (Titans) 6'2 250 34rec 291 yds 3tds for @ 2 million
- he is a placeholder for the draft pick and probably becomes #2 by mid season.

2) draft Charlie Kolar (Iowa St) 6'6 255 4th rd.

3) Drew Sample
Reply/Quote
CJ was a great value for us and I imagine that the Jets think that his production was limited by Joe's other options here. They're not wrong. Honestly, it's a pretty market value deal. The Bengals probably weren't going to pay that when they can get just about anybody but Sample to be that fourth or fifth option.

Now that we have Joe and we're set to give him more time, anyone who catches the ball reliably and fits in the locker room can be that guy. Burrow is going to get a lot of guys paid so we may was well get used to the revolving door.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 08:14 PM)pulses Wrote: I'd go get OJ Howard now.

Howard and the TE from Virginia in Round 3 would be a nice high upside solution.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 08:59 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Think we’ll miss him more in the locker room. I never thought TE  should be a high priority even if it was Gronk. We have 3 very good receivers we just need a TE who is solid and won’t cost a ton. With the improved line we can probably run better and have more time for things to open up.
Yep. Just need a solid target over the middle and up the seams to keep the bakers amd safeties from rushing to cover the receivers on the outside.
(03-14-2022, 09:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not certain that Adult Gronk is off the market. Granted it is likely.

...also haven't there been like 10+ "Baby Gronks" already? Lol
Not as good as Meyer lol

I think Gronk might come here because he knows he has a better chance at a ring here than most other places and Tampa can't offer him the money that we can (not saying we should pay him as much as CJ got).

I wonder if he'd come here even though Cinci is small market and not that flashy of a city...........
(03-14-2022, 09:02 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Mayer's incredible, but we need to wait 'til next year...
That's why I said sign a stopgap! 

He's a great kid! Always goes out of his way to come talk to me!

His brother, AJ, played quarterback at Miami and is also a great guy.
(03-14-2022, 09:17 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: My Gut says Gronk signs here tomorrow, If offer was close CJ would have stayed here.

That would be unreal! I'm just worried that Tampa finds a way to clear cap space and he stays to play with Brady.............
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 09:17 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: My Gut says Gronk signs here tomorrow, If offer was close CJ would have stayed here.

Gronk could very well want to play with Burrow.........
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 10:09 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Hate to be the one to break it to you Nate.....but Ertz resigned in Arizona before FA for like 15M a year (could have that average off though)

Thanks for this WVU, thats alright. 

There are still options and I like a few guys that should be available in the first 3 rounds this year.

Not a great draft for TE's but there are guys who could be better than what we have for sure.
Reply/Quote