Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ to the Jets
(03-14-2022, 09:08 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Why not both?

Then you could have the Smelley/Butt combo.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I definitely did not see this coming. I thought for sure we would re-sign CJ and Larry.
Reply/Quote
Gonna miss Ceej, he's a good ball player and great personality for the team. On the other hand, the Bengals were likely smart to not invest big money into a position that they really don't feature as a primary weapon in their offense. Uzomah had been underutilized for years with the Bengals. On any team that does use the TE as its first or second option, he'd likely have been an All-Pro by now. Best of luck to CJ, onward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
After all those years of losing, CJ gets one year of success, and is now back with a perennial loser. I don't think he's going to be happy.
Reply/Quote
Congrats and best of luck to MR Why not Us
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: After all those years of losing, CJ gets one year of success, and is not back with a perennial loser. I don't think he's going to be happy.

Hes winning in the Bank Account though
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:21 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Hes winning in the Bank Account though

That's true, but still, these guys are competitive by nature. I think he's going to miss Cincinnati...... especially when he's home on the couch watching his old team in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's a clutz in the passing game. Looks like his cleats are made of lead.

True. It is okay to be just okay in the passing game but Drew is just not even an option cause he cannot run decent routes.

Forget crispness, it is clumsy plodding routes that are easy for even the worst LB in coverage to cover.

(03-15-2022, 01:19 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've seen a few websites since Brady announced his retirement saying that he wants to, so I'm guessing it hasn't changed. 

I'm guessing that he'd probably actually rather play with Burrow considering that Brady isn't the Brady of old and, like I said, Gronk knows he has a better shot at another ring here.

He also might have retired the first time because he didn't want to play with an average quarterback since Brady retired but might see Burrow as a quarterback that he can extend his career with.
Burrow's the next big thing so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Gronk loves to party and have fun but he's also a businessman and knows that his best chance at making money, while also winning and being happy, is playing here.

The more I think about this, the more I see it happening.

I'd love to sign him for only one or two years because I'd love to draft Baby Gronk next year, but I don't think we could pass on landing Gronk.

Agree with all of this Brad to a point. Brady's last year was the best of his career, I am not betting against Brady. It is the rest
of that team that shouldn't be near as good.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 01:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True. It is okay to be just okay in the passing game but Drew is just not even an option cause he cannot run decent routes.

Forget crispness, it is clumsy plodding routes that are easy for even the worst LB in coverage to cover.

Agree with all of this Brad to a point. Brady's last year was the best of his career, I am not betting against Brady. It is the rest
of that team that shouldn't be near as good.

I agree that Brady is a freak of nature, but he'll be 45 by the time the season starts. He could carry teams in New England and I'm not sure he can do that in Tampa, especially since they won't be able to add many pieces since they're already 14(?) million over the cap.

Maybe Gronk sees this as their last ride together and wants to go out on top but, like you said, the rest of their team won't be as good and they won't be able to offer Gronk much money.

Sign him for three years and front load the contract, and then trade up to take Baby Gronk in the draft to terrorize teams with two tight ends but also able to easy Baby in.
Reply/Quote
Sad to see him go just because of the heart he had. He was a leader and vocal and seemed to connect with the fans and the team on a very high level this past season. That said, they were not utilizing him to full advantage and for the price NYJ paid.

This feels like the kind of deal the Bengals would have made in the past. A feel good move, not a move necessarily motivated by the general team needs. I know we're all wondering who comes in to replace him (there's just no way it can be Sample), but this is just another sign the FO is functioning differently than they have in the past.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 08:39 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: NFL is a business. They don’t play for fun. They train and sacrifice to perfect their game and make a living for themselves and their family. The fact that he went somewhere other than staying here means nothing negative about him as a person. He’ll be the same guy next year, just wearing green (and cashing green). #dadjoke I had to

Yeah but BJ Hill said, in his press conference, that he thinks there is something special here, that he wanted to be back here, even though he may have been able to make more elsewhere.

So yeah, I don't know what you mean by "making a living", that's what you do, that's not what they do. If you're talking 20 million vs. 24 million, that's crazy to leave to a place where you wouldn't win a ring. I get it, if you put money ahead of a ring, maybe we would do the same if we were in that situation, but don't say "make a living", that's a joke. Some make more in a year or two than you or I will make in our lifetime lol, and we "survived" and made a living for our family.

Maybe it's not "negative" but you've got players playing for money instead of a ring, especially when they will have earned "enough" otherwise. I guess I respect those players less because at the end of the day nobody cares about how much you made, they do count the rings you got. The funny part is if you get a ring, you can make more money.

How much money did Jordan make, how many rings did he get? Money matters I get it, it's probably why aaron rodgers wants so much money when only been to 1 SB. He's basically committing a crime. Imagine being the owner, paying him 50 million a year the next 4 years, and not resulting in another ring. Aaron should hold that title now because Burrow is coming for that "most money ever" contract lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 08:38 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yeah but BJ Hill said, in his press conference, that he thinks there is something special here, that he wanted to be back here, even though he may have been able to make more elsewhere.

So yeah, I don't know what you mean by "making a living", that's what you do, that's not what they do. If you're talking 20 million vs. 24 million, that's crazy to leave to a place where you wouldn't win a ring. I get it, if you put money ahead of a ring, maybe we would do the same if we were in that situation, but don't say "make a living", that's a joke. Some make more in a year or two than you or I will make in our lifetime lol, and we "survived" and made a living for our family.

Maybe it's not "negative" but you've got players playing for money instead of a ring, especially when they will have earned "enough" otherwise. I guess I respect those players less because at the end of the day nobody cares about how much you made, they do count the rings you got. The funny part is if you get a ring, you can make more money.

How much money did Jordan make, how many rings did he get? Money matters I get it, it's probably why aaron rodgers wants so much money when only been to 1 SB. He's basically committing a crime. Imagine being the owner, paying him 50 million a year the next 4 years, and not resulting in another ring. Aaron should hold that title now because Burrow is coming for that "most money ever" contract lol.

Players on CJ's level are striving to make life changing money for not only themselves, but their families. When they say 20 million, in reality after taxes and agents etc it's probably more like 10. You can't blame a player at that level for taking the best financial deal, though 10 mil in NY is nothing compared to 10 mil in Cincy, but we don't even know if Cincy made him an offer to stay. Players on Rodgers level are a different story. They strive to be paid the most in comparison with other players at their position. It's an ego thing.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 08:27 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Players on CJ's level are striving to make life changing money for not only themselves, but their families. When they say 20 million, in reality after taxes and agents etc it's probably more like 10. You can't blame a player at that level for taking the best financial deal, though 10 mil in NY is nothing compared to 10 mil in Cincy, but we don't even know if Cincy made him an offer to stay. Players on Rodgers level are a different story. They strive to be paid the most in comparison with other players at their position. It's an ego thing.

Yep. And some states have different income tax rates, etc. But, yes.
Reply/Quote
Now I'm glad I didn't by a Uzomah jersey. I know it's a "business," but... I feel a tiny bit betrayed.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 03:20 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I agree that Brady is a freak of nature, but he'll be 45 by the time the season starts. He could carry teams in New England and I'm not sure he can do that in Tampa, especially since they won't be able to add many pieces since they're already 14(?) million over the cap.

Maybe Gronk sees this as their last ride together and wants to go out on top but, like you said, the rest of their team won't be as good and they won't be able to offer Gronk much money.

Sign him for three years and front load the contract, and then trade up to take Baby Gronk in the draft to terrorize teams with two tight ends but also able to easy Baby in.

Yeah, I honestly could see Gronk looking at both teams and leaning our way with Burrow and our youth along with our cap situation.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: After all those years of losing, CJ gets one year of success, and is now back with a perennial loser. I don't think he's going to be happy.

C J is smart. He wants to be in the media. He will meet people at CBS, NFL Network, and ABC/ESPN. His agent is looking out for him for an income stream for the next 25 years. 24 million plus NYC is a business decision purely. Playoffs aren’t really a factor
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 01:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I honestly could see Gronk looking at both teams and leaning our way with Burrow and our youth along with our cap situation.

Yep, because, like I alluded to, with it being Brady's last ride, he might want a longer deal, even if it's only 2 years longer and he'll get more money here than in Tampa, and more money per year, not just because it's a longer deal.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2022, 02:09 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: C J is smart. He wants to be in the media. He will meet people at CBS, NFL Network, and ABC/ESPN. His agent is looking out for him for an income stream for the next 25 years. 24 million plus NYC is a business decision purely. Playoffs aren’t really a factor

But people want super bowl winner talking heads. Every time I see a talking head that played but didn't win a superbowl I think, what is this loser doing telling us how it's supposed to be? Lol. That's what CJ is going to be, a definite loser on the NYJ. If he stayed with the Bengals I think he'd have a lot more weight ot his words when it comes to the media. e.g. we listen a little closer when Cowher talks even though we don't like the Steelers. Then again we have people like terry bradshaw who seems like a perennial drunk having 4.

Do we listen to Drew Brees or Mark Sanchez type thing. Even though Boomer didn't win, I guess CJ would be in that line, he can talk about "oh man 25 years ago I was in the superbowl once" although Boomer was a better player overall than average TE CJ.

Although what the players do in their career seems to have little to do with their post career, like Dan O. on ESPN is heading the slate. Brady Quinn even makes appearances as terrible of an NFL player he was.

I'll tell you what, that's why I watch sports, to see people making money for their families and nothing else matters. I think tis is why people get miffed at baseball because they think there is a lot of greed going around and who pays their salaries, imagine if we stopped watching lol.
Reply/Quote
Jets just signed Conklin too. 3yr/$21m

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote