Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game of Thrones
I'm sure that will tick off it's fair share of people, but that was about as good as I could expect a show to get it.

I'm curious as to how many people actually made it out alive. We got the shots of the non redshirts, but it looked as if everyone else had been wiped out pretty good. If they show up with a sizeable contingent of people in the aftermath I'll be pretty disappointed if there's no explanation. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 11:33 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'll bet Reek gets it during the big fight. Dude has "Red Shirt' written all over him.

And "Friendzone" Jorah too.
You called those right.  Steer put up a good fight. Pedophile old-uncle type finally gone. 
Looks like Sam made it after spending most of the battle on his back whining while others died saving his ass.
Have to remember that tactic if the white walkers ever descend on Indiana, PA. lol
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 08:06 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'm sure that will tick off it's fair share of people, but that was about as good as I could expect a show to get it.

I'm curious as to how many people actually made it out alive. We got the shots of the non redshirts, but it looked as if everyone else had been wiped out pretty good. If they show up with a sizeable contingent of people in the aftermath I'll be pretty disappointed if there's no explanation. 

The only notable characters killed are Jorah, Theon, Lyanna, and Edd.  And Viserion and the Night King.

Was hoping Sam would be gone too, but he and all the rest made it.  
Reply/Quote
Disservice to Ghost if that's the last we see of him
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 10:23 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Disservice to Ghost if that's the last we see of him

He's in the trailer for next episode.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:49 AM)Dill Wrote: The only notable characters killed are Jorah, Theon, Lyanna, and Edd.  And Viserion and the Night King.

Was hoping Sam would be gone too, but he and all the rest made it.  

Sam had to live to give weight to jons claim to the iron throne
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2019, 11:33 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'll bet Reek gets it during the big fight. Dude has "Red Shirt' written all over him.

Probably Brianna of Tar as well. Can't have people that happy in this show for very long, right? "Big woman" zombie. Red-haired half-giant dude probably had a shot with her... until he sat down and drank his milk in front of her, eh.

[Image: giphy.gif]
No happy people!!!

BTW: There seems to be a lot of foreshadowing about "being safe down in the crypts". I dunno... thinking that that is NOT the place I would want to be when the undead come, eh.

Eh! Picturing Varys as a bald-headed eunuch wight!!

Nicely done.
Reply/Quote
Now I'm anything but a war strategist. Unlike most Americans I guess.... so to anyone who has those huge miniature battlefields at home - what about the tactics here? The artillery pretty much was useless, why not have it less exposed and use it first before attacking? Also, why launching said senseless attack first, were there too many Dothrakis? Why go for an open field battle when you got defense systems in place? What about luring the night king out with Bran and having no real trap there? Arya pretty much stepped by on an impulse, but no one else had anything prepared, no Dragonstone knife or whatever. Instead, Theon just shouts and runs at him and dies. Also, the walls weren't protected at all it seems. Not even some big trunks rolling down or anything really. And they waited for the dead to come to said walls and then suddenly it was all frantic when they did. Archers there! You there! Everyone run around! We couldn't have possibly prepared for this while waiting!
And finally, how would that many people survive in the end. The dead army already was everywhere for quite some time, even strolling around within the halls. How?
Reply/Quote
I thought they wasted the Dothraki. I would have kept them on a flank and sent around the first wave of attackers.

The catapults should have been firing at will.

The archers should have been picking off the stationary walkers prior to them crashing the barricades.

There should have been a few more trenches dug further out

My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

Probably Brianna of Tar as well. Can't have people that happy in this show for very long, right? "Big woman" zombie. Red-haired half-giant dude probably had a shot with her... until he sat down and drank his milk in front of her, eh.

[Image: giphy.gif]
No happy people!!!

BTW: There seems to be a lot of foreshadowing about "being safe down in the crypts". I dunno... thinking that that is NOT the place I would want to be when the undead come, eh.

Eh! Picturing Varys as a bald-headed eunuch wight!!

Nicely done.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 12:05 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Nicely done.

Thank you, sir. But those were pretty easy calls. They were foreshadowing those a lot.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 11:58 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Sam had to live to give weight to jons claim to the iron throne

lol lots of 'weight.'  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 12:14 PM)hollodero Wrote: Now I'm anything but a war strategist. Unlike most Americans I guess.... so to anyone who has those huge miniature battlefields at home - what about the tactics here? The artillery pretty much was useless, why not have it less exposed and use it first before attacking? Also, why launching said senseless attack first, were there too many Dothrakis? Why go for an open field battle when you got defense systems in place? What about luring the night king out with Bran and having no real trap there? Arya pretty much stepped by on an impulse, but no one else had anything prepared, no Dragonstone knife or whatever.  Instead, Theon just shouts and runs at him and dies. Also, the walls weren't protected at all it seems. Not even some big trunks rolling down or anything really. And they waited for the dead to come to said walls and then suddenly it was all frantic when they did. Archers there! You there! Everyone run around! We couldn't have possibly prepared for this while waiting!
And finally, how would that many people survive in the end. The dead army already was everywhere for quite some time, even strolling around within the halls. How?

Yes. You could write a book (or at least a very long essay) on the flawed tactics.

The Dothraki charge was about as big of a waste of tens of thousands of lives as you could imagine. There is the whole question of using your cavalry head-on without armor or lances. Why not have them circle the undead flank or rear? Head-on? Really?

Not only that. Once they die, they become new recruits for the undead army. What? The undead army wasn't big enough already?!?!

I think the Dothraki were supposed to be somewhat modeled after the Mongolian horde in our world. But the Mongols would have chewed them up and spit them out. The Mongols were primarily horse archers and lancers. Tens of thousands of horse archers would have played hell on the undead army if they had dragonglass arrowheads, eh.

On the plus side, I heard they are having a big sale in Esteros on Dothraki widows. Ninja

In defense of Theon, if he had waited for the Night King to move on him, the Night King could have just had his minions swarm Theon. Personally, I would have found it hilarious if, while Theon was running forward, the Night King would have had on of the undead reach out its leg and trip him. I'm a bit of a sick bastard that way...LOL!
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 02:28 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yes. You could write a book (or at least a very long essay) on the flawed tactics.

The Dothraki charge was about as big of a waste of tens of thousands of lives as you could imagine. There is the whole question of using your cavalry head-on without armor or lances. Why not have them circle the undead flank or rear? Head-on? Really?

Not only that. Once they die, they become new recruits for the undead army. What? The undead army wasn't big enough already?!?!

I think the Dothraki were supposed to be somewhat modeled after the Mongolian horde in our world. But the Mongols would have chewed them up and spit them out. The Mongols were primarily horse archers and lancers. Tens of thousands of horse archers would have played hell on the undead army if they had dragonglass arrowheads, eh.

On the plus side, I heard they are having a big sale in Esteros on Dothraki widows. Ninja

In defense of Theon, if he had waited for the Night King to move on him, the Night King could have just had his minions swarm Theon. Personally, I would have found it hilarious if, while Theon was running forward, the Night King would have had on of the undead reach out its leg and trip him. I'm a bit of a sick bastard that way...LOL!

Flanking was another thing I though of. If you go for an open field battle, at least use open field battle tactics even I know about. Flank them! Also, build barricades right at the catapult's radius and bomb them. I mean, Jeez, that's not quantum physics and there's no need to resurrect a guy who sends a horde right into the waiting enemy instead.

As for Theon, my issue is that this was meant to be a trap for the night king. They knew he'd go there. Why was there no ambush planned? Some hidden ninjas under a hatch or anything really. Also, Theon should at least have gotten a dragonglass knife, a dragonglass dagger, anything to actually kill the night king that is lured there, maybe heroic while dying. He had - a spear. Also, Bran could have gotten a weapon too - because why not. He could still stab while sitting.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 03:27 PM)hollodero Wrote: Flanking was another thing I though of. If you go for an open field battle, at least use open field battle tactics even I know about. Flank them! Also, build barricades right at the catapult's radius and bomb them. I mean, Jeez, that's not quantum physics and there's no need to resurrect a guy who sends a horde right into the waiting enemy instead.

As for Theon, my issue is that this was meant to be a trap for the night king. They knew he'd go there. Why was there no ambush planned? Some hidden ninjas under a hatch or anything really. Also, Theon should at least have gotten a dragonglass knife, a dragonglass dagger, anything to actually kill the night king that is lured there, maybe heroic while dying. He had - a spear. Also, Bran could have gotten a weapon too - because why not. He could still stab while sitting.

the Halbard was tipped with dragon glass... all the weapons they where using where.  Save the dothraki...  But they had torches.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 03:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the Halbard was tipped with dragon glass... all the weapons they where using where.  Save the dothraki...  But they had torches.

Oh alright then.

Still odd there weren't multiple ambush plans in place. I guess they reserved the dragons for that first, but that's stupid as well. Dragons are quite effective in battle, but one knew about the night king that he's killed by dragonglass and they would try with fire instead. That makes no sense.
Reply/Quote
When you are outnumbered that badly, there are no tactics that will work.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:01 PM)Storer50 Wrote: When you are outnumbered that badly, there are no tactics that will work.

That's no excuse for inefficiency and stupid sacrifices though. E.g. having such nice catapults and don't use them properly.

Also, a hundred ice generals and no one sees Arya attacking the night king from behind. What were they doing, looking for Pokemons?
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 03:27 PM)hollodero Wrote: Flanking was another thing I though of. If you go for an open field battle, at least use open field battle tactics even I know about. Flank them! Also, build barricades right at the catapult's radius and bomb them. I mean, Jeez, that's not quantum physics and there's no need to resurrect a guy who sends a horde right into the waiting enemy instead.

Yeah. And also, trebuchets are siege weapons for battering castles and towns. Not real effective against troops in the open, especially troops that are charging. Maybe they took out a handful with the flaming boulders. In this case, though, they might have been more effective as firewood, eh.

(04-29-2019, 03:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: the Halbard was tipped with dragon glass... all the weapons they where using where.  Save the dothraki...  But they had torches.

That's another thing. Tens of thousands of dudes on horses waving flaming scythes about. I know it is fantasy. But in reality, some of them dudes are gonna be accidentally lighting their buddies and their horses on fire. That's just how humans function. There would be at least one Private Sad Sack in Row 299, Column 170 who would accidentally (or maybe on purpose) light the tail of the horse in front of him on fire, and that horse would rear throwing the rider with his flaming sword into the guy and horse next to him lighting them up, whose horse would then bolt forward into the guy in front of him.... etc. You get the picture. Humans do some dumb shit sometimes. And it's pretty clear that Dothraki don't exactly prize intelligence.

But, like I said, it is fantasy. Suspended disbelief. I still enjoyed the show.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 04:14 PM)hollodero Wrote: That's no excuse for inefficiency and stupid sacrifices though. E.g. having such nice catapults and don't use them properly.

Also, a hundred ice generals and no one sees Arya attacking the night king from behind. What were they doing, looking for Pokemons?

Yeah. Listen to the Austrian guy about efficiency. They are sort of like Germans about that kind of stuff!

Tongue (Just having fun with you, brother!)
Reply/Quote