Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
My Argument For Picking Chase Young First
(03-05-2020, 09:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: U mad bro?

Not at all, chief! Just trying to enjoy an open discussion without the Burrow Boys Choir trying to tell me how I am supposed to think.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 12:11 AM)thompson19osu Wrote: There is no argument for the #1 pick with our needs. As a former OSU student and lifelong Buckeye, I watch every OSU game religiously and fact is Chase Young had games where he disappeared. Burrow manned up every game and won himself a National Championship, and did so in impressive fashion. You take the obvious pick, which is Joe Burrow.

thats because QBs don't get double and triple teamed only on a blitz maybe. As for Young, he is the BEST rush end in college football. I'm sure he will impress like the bosa boys!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:22 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I am completely calm, Nate. Just pointing some things out. If CY contributes anything close to what the Bosa boys have , he will be very, very good.

At this point, we all agree that JB is going to be the pick. He has done nothing but impress. 

Ts, there is a very good argument to be made for picking Young first. Unfortunately, some just don't want to listen to it. For the final time, this draft is loaded with QB talent. Loaded!! Time will tell which will be the best. Hopefully, it will be the one the Bengals draft, but it could be any of 6 or 7 other QBs, in this draft.

The drop off at QB after Burrow and Tua is huge. It would be absolutely insane to pass on them for a DE if you’re a QB needy team. Hell, even if you’re not 100% sure you have a true franchise guy already.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:25 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Not at all, chief! Just trying to enjoy an open discussion without the Burrow Boys Choir trying to tell me how I am supposed to think.

that will shut em up for sure!!!  ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 01:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Rep for the unbiased opinion. It’s wasn’t always because Young was “quadruple teamed” lol

Sometimes he just lost his battles, and didn’t look as dominant against the tougher competition in the bigger games.

I see you are still passing along your improper thoughts on Buckeyes. By the way, Young is the BEST end rusher in college ball and will be picked in the top ten of the league so I say you are extremely WRONG!!! 

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:25 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Not at all, chief! Just trying to enjoy an open discussion without the Burrow Boys Choir trying to tell me how I am supposed to think.

Well, you’re being pretty annoying with this “boys choir” bs. If you can’t understand why people are extremely hyped over a QB that just won a Heisman, broke records, and won a National championship, I really don’t know what to tell you. Other than you OSU guys should try harder to separate you college and NFL fandoms.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:54 PM)RASCAL Wrote: thats because QBs don't get double and triple teamed only on a blitz maybe. As for Young, he is the BEST rush end in college football. I'm sure he will impress like the bosa boys!

No one is saying he won’t. But he also doesn’t move the needle for a bad team as much as a QB can.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:59 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I see you are still passing along your improper thoughts on Buckeyes. By the way, Yound is the BEST end rusher in college ball and will be picked in the top ten of the league so I say you are extremely WRONG!!!  Hilarious

What am I wrong about? I never said he won’t go top 10. He’s going to go top 5 for sure.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:22 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I am completely calm, Nate. Just pointing some things out. If CY contributes anything close to what the Bosa boys have , he will be very, very good.

At this point, we all agree that JB is going to be the pick. He has done nothing but impress. 

Ts, there is a very good argument to be made for picking Young first. Unfortunately, some just don't want to listen to it. For the final time, this draft is loaded with QB talent. Loaded!! Time will tell which will be the best. Hopefully, it will be the one the Bengals draft, but it could be any of 6 or 7 other QBs, in this draft.

Thanks for this, I was worrying you were taking my points the wrong way.

Chase Young will be like the Bosa boys in my opinion too, think he is that talented and he has multiple moves and power to go along
with his speed. I just disagree on the QB talent, after Burrow and Tua I am not impressed with Herbert or Love at all honestly and I 
like Eason better than both.

Herbert is no leader, he is a pushover, he is an invert, he panics when shit hits the fan, Love throws picks and neither are near as
accurate as Burrow or Tua.

This Draft is loaded with WR talent and inside O-lineman talent, not QB talent after Burrow and Tua IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 05:14 PM)jason Wrote: That Nincovic guy was one of the DEs... Was Chandler Jones another?

I know who the DEs were who beat Brady though. Michael Strahan, Osi Umenyiora, JPP...

I'm all for Burrow but don't discount the effects of putting a QB on his ass.

There was a guy named Vrabel that was pretty good and their leader on defense for years. He even padded Brady's stats playing as a TE every once in awhile. I won't ruffle any feathers and say what college he went to.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:13 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: There was a guy named Vrabel that was pretty good and their leader on defense for years. He even padded Brady's stats playing as a TE every once in awhile. I won't ruffle any feathers and say what college he went to.  Tongue

OSU and he looks to be a damn fine coach too.

That don't ruffle my feathers. I want some more Buckeyes on the Bengals from this Draft too.

I am just a Bengal fan, no allegiance to college teams.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: OSU and he looks to be a damn fine coach too.

That don't ruffle my feathers. I want some more Buckeyes on the Bengals from this Draft too.

I am just a Bengal fan, no allegiance to college teams.

I posted that as sarcasm. I know you wouldn't be bothered by it but it does seem bother some people on here to see anything pro-Buckeye. 

Just wanted to put the Vrabel thing out there as another example of a good DE during Brady's run cause he might have been the best.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:43 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I posted that as sarcasm. I know you wouldn't be bothered by it but it does seem bother some people on here to see anything pro-Buckeye. 

Just wanted to put the Vrabel thing out there as another example of a good DE during Brady's run cause he might have been the best.

I getcha man, Vrabel was a damn good versatile player.

What has impressed me the most about him is his coaching though. I like the team he put together in Tennessee.

Physical, that is what I would like us to be in all 3 phases.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:43 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I posted that as sarcasm. I know you wouldn't be bothered by it but it does seem bother some people on here to see anything pro-Buckeye. 

I’m not sure anyone is bothered by “anything” pro OSU. Young and Okudah are two of the very best players in this draft, and I’d love to have either of them if we didn’t need a QB.

I do think a lot of OSU fans earn their reputation though. Both here, and elsewhere...

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 09:55 PM)Nicomo Cosa Wrote: The drop off at QB after Burrow and Tua is huge. It would be absolutely insane to pass on them for a DE if you’re a QB needy team. Hell, even if you’re not 100% sure you have a true franchise guy already.

No, it isn't. Hurts, Eason, Love, and Herbert all have the tools to be equally, or possibly even more successful, as either of the two QBs you have mentioned. Everything else is just projection and hyperbole.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 02:14 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Tyrann Mathieu, Frank Clark, Darron Lee, Kendall Fuller, Terrell Suggs......Yeah, I may be going out on a limb here, but I think that's what's called, "a little hep" on defense.  ThumbsUp

(03-05-2020, 10:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, you’re being pretty annoying with this “boys choir” bs. If you can’t understand why people are extremely hyped over a QB that just won a Heisman, broke records, and won a National championship, I really don’t know what to tell you. Other than you OSU guys should try harder to separate you college and NFL fandoms.

I left my previous defensive players added on this post for a reason. Please be sure to read it. 

Now, you're a piece of work. I never once mentioned that I wanted Young because he was a Buckeye. You're just trolling at this point. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 11:26 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: No, it isn't. Hurts, Eason, Love, and Herbert all have the tools to be equally, or possibly even more successful, as either of the two QBs you have mentioned. Everything else is just projection and hyperbole.

Yes it is. Some of those guys are projects, and some are middling prospects. Burrow and Tua are the only QB’s projected as potentially elite.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 11:37 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I left my previous defensive players added on this post for a reason. Please be sure to read it. 

Now, you're a piece of work. I never once mentioned that I wanted Young because he was a Buckeye. You're just trolling at this point. 

This is rich. You’ve threatened to harass members here if Burrow doesn’t work out, and are childishly calling people “Burrow choir boys” and I’m the troll?? Ok guy...

Reply/Quote
It seems like every year an edge rusher comes along that is something special (like Young or Bosa)--If not every year, every 2 years. I don't think a QB like Burrow comes out more than once every 5 years.

The last QB that was this much of a sure things was Andrew Luck, and that was more than 5 years ago. Mahomes came out 3 years ago, Luck like 7 years ago? Mahomes wasn't a sure thing prospect to the world at large, though. You can talk about guys like Deshawn Watson or Lamar Jackson (also not viewed as sure things), but I suspect both will have injury issues in time.

When it comes down to it, if you have a top-notch, sure thing QB that can elevate your franchise and put you in the running for the next 15 years, that's more valuable than an elite edge rusher (not just because elite QBs are more rare, but because they have a greater impact on wins and losses). I'd argue top priority is QB, then elite edge rusher, with elite Left Tackle not far behind.

Burrow has the chance to be in the 'elite' QB class in a couple years. Brady and Brees will start declining soon, possibly Rodgers as well due to age. The top 5 list 2-3 years from now could very easily include Burrow.

The thing that separates him from every QB in this class, and a lot of QBs in the league is his pocket presence (an unteachable trait), intelligence, leadership/drive, and accuracy (Tua is the only push on the accuracy front). Only the really intelligent QBs, with great pocket presence, and great accuracy step up against really good defenses in the playoffs. Burrow has all those traits. His awareness and style of play (traditional QB with running ability) will likely mean that he's less injury prone too.

It makes more sense to grab the QB here. If we suck again this year maybe we have a chance at an elite edge rusher next year--But probably not. We should be a lot better this year after adding Burrow, having AJ come back, our rookie LT from last year come back, and adding some pieces at LB and hopefully another guard or two, plus the offensive line learning/growing as a unit.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2020, 10:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No one is saying he won’t. But he also doesn’t move the needle for a bad team as much as a QB can.

SOOOOO much this. The positional value of a QB is so high if a potentially great one is available, and you don't already have that, you HAVE to take him.
Reply/Quote