Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***NFL Free Agency News & Signings Thread***
(04-15-2024, 04:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Carolina just traded for Diontae Johnson. I don’t really see them trading for another WR.

He's only getting paid 10 Million dollars and is in the final year of his contract. I think Tee is on the Table for them still.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2024, 08:35 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Tee and his camp can disagree all they want but the facts are that since Devonta Smith was drafted Smith has played in more games, has taken more snaps, has more receptions, more yards and more TDs than Higgins in the same time period.  Devonta Smith has simply outperformed Tee Higgins since he has been in the league.  Higgins with his lower production shouldnt expect the same type of contract Smith got.  Yes Higgins has been injured but you cant dismiss the loss of production.  DJ Reader signed a lower contract because of injuries.  We signed Trent Brown cheap because of injuries.  Injuries are a factor in contracts.     If Tee is healthy and produces big this coming year, he will get a larger contract.  If he gets hurt again and doesnt have good production he will get smaller offers.  That is the reality.   You cant dismiss injuries and lower production because that does factor in to contracts.  Right now Tee is not producing at the same level as Smith and many other WRs and he shouldnt expect to be paid like it.

All true. If I was Tee Higgins I would take a slightly lower deal than DeVonta Smith took and be happy if the Bengals offer him such.
Reply/Quote
TE Mitch Wilcox signed with the Patriots

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2024, 07:16 PM)pally Wrote: TE Mitch Wilcox signed with the Patriots

Was a good player for us, happy Mitch is still in the league. I think we Draft a TE anyways.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2024, 07:16 PM)pally Wrote: TE Mitch Wilcox signed with the Patriots

It may help us in getting a compensatory pick in 2024. He is not a big contract, but he is a loss.

If we are not going to sign Boyd, I hope someone else signs him prior to June 1. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2024, 07:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Was a good player for us, happy Mitch is still in the league. I think we Draft a TE anyways.

I would like to see them take a 6th or 7th on Tip Reiman.   6'7 271 pound TE know for blocking.  Ran a 4.64.    Was a walk on that made Team Captain.  High character guy.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tip-reiman/32005245-4957-7302-3782-d7697a4f655d
Reply/Quote

Both make sense. Chargers WR room is terrible, and the Titans obviously because of Callahan.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 09:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Both make sense. Chargers WR room is terrible, and the Titans obviously because of Callahan.

Both do, good luck to Tyler, I think he will help a team, but he is falling off a bit lately.

And when your hands are a part of it, that is a major problem. The hands should not be falling off at his age.
Reply/Quote
lots of rumors saying he is staying in Tennessee with a 2 year $15.8 million contract

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 02:33 PM)pally Wrote: lots of rumors saying he is staying in Tennessee with a 2 year $15.8 million contract

That is more than we would like to pay Boyd I am sure of it. If this is real, good on yah TB! Wink
Reply/Quote
I think they are gambling with the guard position not even addressing it. It's actually very disappointing and just like the Bengals to roll with what they have and come mid season realize it was a mistake and the gamble failed.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 09:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

It's so cool to see Boyd have 513 catches as a Bengal.
Who Dey
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 03:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think they are gambling with the guard position not even addressing it. It's actually very disappointing and just like the Bengals to roll with what they have and come mid season realize it was a mistake and the gamble failed.

How so?

The way the roster shakes out right now, here is my predicted OL:
Orlando Brown
Trent Brown
Cordell Volson
Ted Karras
Alex Cappa
Amarius Mims
Jackson Carman
Matt Lee
Cody Ford
(Trey Hill or D'Ante Smith if they want to have a 10th)

Carman can play the left side, both LT and LG. He won't unseat Volson at this point, but he is versatile depth.
Cody Ford can play the right side, both RT and RG. Same as Carman.
Amarius Mims they already said they plan to have be a swing tackle his rookie season.
Matt Lee will battle it out with Trey Hill for backup C duties.

I don't personally think they need to add another OL, but if they do, OG is where it makes sense.

I'd love to round out the OL room with a proven vet like Dalton Risner, who somehow still isn't signed. He would offer, if anything, good pass blocking. His run blocking is just ok. But he's played just LG in his NFL tenure up to this point.
He signed with MIN last year on a really cheap 1-year deal for just $3 mill.
With him still unsigned, I would think he could easily be picked up for that same level of deal just for insurance.
But...I think the Bengals are comfortable with who they have after the draft now because of the versatility guys like Carman and Ford provide.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 05:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: How so?

Orlando Brown
Trent Brown
Cordell Volson
Ted Karras
Alex Cappa
Amarius Mims
Jackson Carman
Matt Lee
Cody Ford

Carman can play the left side, both LT and LG. He won't unseat Volson at this point, but he is versatile depth.
Amarius Mims they already said they plan to have be a swing tackle his rookie season.

I don't personally think they need to add another OL, but if they do, OG is where it makes sense.

I'd love to round out the OL room with a proven vet like Dalton Risner, who somehow still isn't signed. He would offer, if anything, good pass blocking. His run blocking is just ok. But he's played just LG in his NFL tenure up to this point.
With him still unsigned, I would think he could easily be picked up for that same level of deal just for insurance.
But...I think the Bengals are comfortable with who they have after the draft now because of the versatility guys like Carman and Ford provide.

That's a thorough summary of the OL ss it stands, it's better but can be improved I agree.  For the roster crunch, a dependable vet backup G or C (since Karras can play both) would go a long way towards having quality 9 vs quantity 10 OL. 

The key phrase in your summary is "can play".  We know in a pinch they "can" but what is our standard?  I agree that they should look at a Risner type or one of the Saints FA still out there.  They do like Ford and do hope JC will improve but they have $ to spend even after the roll over and should know more about extensions by camp.  Look for them to be ready with some guaranteed money if they don't like the subs they have around cuts. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 05:45 PM)phil413 Wrote: That's a thorough summary of the OL ss it stands, it's better but can be improved I agree.  For the roster crunch, a dependable vet backup G or C (since Karras can play both) would go a long way towards having quality 9 vs quantity 10 OL. 

The key phrase in your summary is "can play".  We know in a pinch they "can" but what is our standard?  I agree that they should look at a Risner type or one of the Saints FA still out there.  They do like Ford and do hope JC will improve but they have $ to spend even after the roll over and should know more about extensions by camp.  Look for them to be ready with some guaranteed money if they don't like the subs they have around cuts. 

If looking for someone who can play C, Connor Williams is still out there.
I don't think at this point though with Karras as the established C and drafting Matt Lee that bringing in another C is gonna be a thing.
I think the team feels better about the OL than some/most of the fans do.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like Lee, but with it being Karras and Cappa's last season under contract, I'd think they'd plan ahead as they usually do in the draft. That is I guess where I'm left scratching my head over why no future pieces at Guard weren't prioritized, especially if you add replacing Volson as a future need next offseason.... if this year he doesn't improve.

That's 3 interior line starters we may need to replace next offseason (and their backups) and we really only have Lee (if you can count on a 7th round pick).

Maybe Karras and Cappa have more years under contract. I may be wrong which would change this statement.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Neither Karras nor Cappa are going anywhere. They will be extended. Volson is fine at LG and you could see his play level ratchet up last season in the second half (about when you would expect it). He was upper half of the league in that time span. The team is not going to change out the entire interior OL next offseason.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 05:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: How so?

Orlando Brown
Trent Brown
Cordell Volson
Ted Karras
Alex Cappa
Amarius Mims
Jackson Carman
Matt Lee
Cody Ford

Great stuff Ocho. I think Dalton Risner makes the most sense or Connor Williams who can also play Center.

Might just want a Guard now with the Matt Lee addition.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 06:18 PM)Joelist Wrote: Neither Karras nor Cappa are going anywhere. They will be extended. Volson is fine at LG and you could see his play level ratchet up last season in the second half (about when you would expect it). He was upper half of the league in that time span. The team is not going to change out the entire interior OL next offseason.

Sure hope you are right about the Karras and Cappa extensions and also hope Volson can take the next step.

Thought last season he would do this, but then he started out poorly once again at the start of the season.

Always being in Shotgun did nobody any favors though.
Reply/Quote
Risner has to be hurt or something behind the scenes we don't know about for him to still be unsigned. This league is starving for even average offensive line play, I can't think of any other reason he hasn't been signed by SOMEONE by now. Is he asking for too much? Holding out for a better team to offer him a deal? Waiting until TC to take the highest guaranteed offer he can get, replacing an injured starter? It's just strange to me he remains unsigned and I've heard very little on him.
Reply/Quote