Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Palmer wins a playoff game before we do under Lewis
(01-17-2016, 03:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Palmer left here for OAKLAND.  Yeah, he is a real genius when it comes to ensuring that he was going to win with that move.

I am actually one of the people who don't hate on Palmer.  But claiming that he is soem kind of genius for thinkiing that oakland had a better chasnce of winning than the Bengals is a complete joke.

Who claimed he was a genius? 

And I wasn't aware he chose Oakland.  I thought he chose just not to be here, which has worked out for him in the long run.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Palmer had two picks....the difference? The Cards didn't fold, the Bengals do.  It's the coaching. PERIOD.

With all due respect, there's one thing the Bengals did not do against the Steelers and that was fold.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:57 PM)McC Wrote: With all due respect, there's one thing the Bengals did not do against the Steelers and that was fold.

They were until the hit on Bernard woke their deadbeat asses up.  Think about it.  Agreed though....for the first time , they didn't fold like a cheap tent.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 03:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Palmer had two picks....the difference? The Cards didn't fold, the Bengals do.  It's the coaching. PERIOD.

So if coaching is the ONLY thing that matters then how was Arians, who had NEVER won a playoff game, able to beat McCarthy who has 7 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring?

Anyone who claims that Bruce Arians is now a better coach than McCarthy just becuase of one playoff win does not really understand how the NFL works.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So if coaching is the ONLY thing that matters then how was Arians, who had NEVER won a playoff game, able to beat McCarthy who has 7 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring?

Anyone who claims that Bruce Arians is now a better coach than McCarthy just becuase of one playoff win does not really understand how the NFL works.

You're really comparing a guy who had back-to-back GOAT HOF QBs to Arians who got Carson Palmer on his last legs out of Jokeland but STILL had to start Ryan Freakin' Lindley in 1 of his 2 playoff shots?  C'mon man. Arians got a single shot at the post-season with his starting QB and made the most of it. So, if Marvin won in 2009 I'd say he did a pretty good job. But he didn't.

Go figure.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You're really comparing a guy who had back-to-back GOAT HOF QBs to Arians who got Carson Palmer on his last legs out of Jokeland but STILL had to start Ryan Freakin' Lindley in 1 of his 2 playoff shots?  C'mon man.

Objectivity is not his strong suit.   

.....and.....I might be inclined to say yes , Arians has a better offensive mind and more stones to be aggressive.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So if coaching is the ONLY thing that matters then how was Arians, who had NEVER won a playoff game, able to beat McCarthy who has 7 playoff wins and a Super Bowl ring?

Anyone who claims that Bruce Arians is now a better coach than McCarthy just becuase of one playoff win does not really understand how the NFL .

And you don't understand a simple statement. Arians>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Screwus

WTF does it have to do with McCarty?

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:11 PM)Wyche Wrote: They were until the hit on Bernard woke their deadbeat asses up.  Think about it.  Agreed though....for the first time , they didn't fold like a cheap tent.

Nonsense.  The defense played well all game (until the last play) and the offense had already started moving the ball and were in scoring position before the Shazier foul. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: WTF does it have to do with McCarty?

Because if coaching is the only possible reason that a team can win in the playoffs then how do you explain Arians beating McCarthy.  Arians had never won a playof game before (just like Marvin) yet he beat a coach who has 7 playoff wins including a Super Bowl.

In case you still don't get it, the fact that Arians beat McCarthy proves that coaching is NOT the oniy reason teams win playoff games.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 04:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You're really comparing a guy who had back-to-back GOAT HOF QBs to Arians who got Carson Palmer on his last legs out of Jokeland but STILL had to start Ryan Freakin' Lindley in 1 of his 2 playoff shots?  C'mon man.  Arians got a single shot at the post-season with his starting QB and made the most of it.  So, if Marvin won in 2009 I'd say he did a pretty good job.  But he didn't.

Go figure.

All I am doing is pointing out the fact that if coaching was the ONLY reason that teams win in the post season it would have been impossible for Arians to beat McCarthy.

Then I sit back and watch you guys back peddle and make all sorts of excuses to try and justify your backwards logic.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 05:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: All I am doing is pointing out the fact that if coaching was the ONLY reason that teams win in the post season it would have been impossible for Arians to beat McCarthy.

Then I sit back and watch you guys back peddle and make all sorts of excuses to try and justify your backwards logic.

You're right, we should just let Marvins all time worst post season record speak for itself.  Maybe he just needs a 5th QB to get it right. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 01:45 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They didn't win b/c of Palmer .  He played poorly.

I sure wish the Bengals could have a 61% completion, 349 yard, 8.5 YPA, positive TD/INT ratio, 92.4 QB Rating poor showing, then. Get a QB to play that "poorly" to support the Bengals D and they'll easily win a game.

Didn't even need a running game. 19 carries, 40 yards.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

bengals had a Int and two fumbles against Steelers and had the lead with little time left.. I would say they did not fold last week but lost... 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 05:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I sure wish the Bengals could have a 61% completion, 349 yard, 8.5 YPA, positive TD/INT ratio, 92.4 QB Rating poor showing, then. Get a QB to play that "poorly" to support the Bengals D and they'll easily win a game.

Palmer didn't win that game for the Cardinals. One of his TDs wasn't even to the receiver he threw it too, and another was Fitz having an amazing run after the catch that got 60 extra yards on it. Not to mention he almost threw 2 more picks. He didn't play bad enough where he was a liability, but to say he won it for the Cards is just not true.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 11:44 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The guy had a 63.7 completion percentage in the regular season.  He passed for 4,671 yards, 35 TDs, and only 11 INTs and had a 104.6 passer rating. He's a top-3 MVP candidate and would likely win the comeback player of the year award if not for Eric Berry returning from Cancer treatments 9 months ago.

Those stats aren't really indicative of someone who "has other players that overcame him".  I can't tell whether that statement stems from ignorance or butthurt.

Pure butthurt.  People can't stand that Palmer is having more success in Zona than he ever did in Cincy.  That, and putting up better stats and passer ratings than Dalton.  Palmer didn't play great, but he still played better than any Bengals QB in the Playoffs since Palmer left.  Pure butthurt.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 05:52 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Palmer didn't win that game for the Cardinals. One of his TDs wasn't even to the receiver he threw it too, and another was Fitz having an amazing run after the catch that got 60 extra yards on it. Not to mention he almost threw 2 more picks. He didn't play bad enough where he was a liability, but to say he won it for the Cards is just not true.

I guess life is just luckier without Marvin. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 05:40 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I sure wish the Bengals could have a 61% completion, 349 yard, 8.5 YPA, positive TD/INT ratio, 92.4 QB Rating poor showing, then. Get a QB to play that "poorly" to support the Bengals D and they'll easily win a game.

Pretty simple to me when I view Palmer tenure in Cincinnati.. A disappointment.. He came in as #1 pick in NFL.. we put some very good weapons around him.. he ended up having a losing record as a starter for Bengals but did take them to playoffs twice where we went 0-2.  Many are critical of Dalton for lack of leadership in his first few years.. well I think Palmer seemed less of a leader than Dalton during his time here.

He went to Oakland and did not have success there either.. I am glad he is having success at Azrizona and hope they make it to the Super Bowl..but in the big picture he has underachieved as the #1 pick of the NFL draft in 2003.  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 06:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Pretty simple to me when I view Palmer tenure in Cincinnati.. A disappointment.. He came in as #1 pick in NFL.. we put some very good weapons around him.. he ended up having a losing record as a starter for Bengals but did take them to playoffs twice where we went 0-2.  Many are critical of Dalton for lack of leadership in his first few years.. well I think Palmer seemed less of a leader than Dalton during his time here.

He went to Oakland and did not have success there either.. I am glad he is having success at Azrizona and hope they make it to the Super Bowl..but in the big picture he has underachieved as the #1 pick of the NFL draft in 2003.  
Very true.  It's thirteen years later and he's still trying to cement his legacy.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2016, 05:52 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Palmer didn't win that game for the Cardinals. One of his TDs wasn't even to the receiver he threw it too, and another was Fitz having an amazing run after the catch that got 60 extra yards on it. Not to mention he almost threw 2 more picks. He didn't play bad enough where he was a liability, but to say he won it for the Cards is just not true.

Never said he won it for them, but he certainly helped more than hurt.

-He had a positive TD to INT ratio. (Never happened in 7 games under Lewis)
-He wasn't wildly inaccurate and managed a completion over 60.0% (Never happened in 7 games under Lewis)
-He didn't dink and dunk for under 6.0 YPA. (Happened 2 times in 7 games under Lewis. 6.1 in 2011, 6.5 in 2013)
-He had a QB Rating over 70. (Never happened in 7 games under Lewis)

So yes, compared to Bengals performances under Lewis, he was freaking amazing. He'd go down in Lewis postseason history legend for those stats.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It also helps when the zebras just ignore flagrant OPI that even the pro Cardinal announcers noted. Had they caught it then there is no TD for AZ to put them in front late in the fourth quarter.

Overall the quality of the officiating in the playoffs this year has been appalling.
Reply/Quote