Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
PnR Decorum and suspensions
When I made all those suggestions that got me banned one of them was a separate SMACK TALK PnR Forum. Because some folks love to argue (eer...I mean correct others) and some want to discuss issues. Perhaps a no holds barred zone for when we want to get in the gutter and a civil pnR for those looking for information and alternative POVs.

Hell the Smack talk PnR could even stay open on weekends; as it would require very little policing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-16-2018, 01:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: I dunno.  Would we rather have another thread started just to show someone was actually wrong?  Because I personally don't have a problem with someone showing that someone was actually wrong.

You actually bring about a good point.  Sometimes it is indeed pertinent to refresh an old thread, for the cause of showing one they made a false statement, or failed on a prediction.  A lot of how it is interpreted depends upon the tone in which it is carried out.  I can't speak for other mods, but as for myself, if I feel like the "pointing out" is done out of spite or malice, I'll likely view it negatively.  If it's done tactfully, in the friendly spirit of discussion, I'll likely see nothing wrong with it.

That is why there are 3 absolutes in the CoC, that WILL result in a permanent ban, and a lengthier list of things that MAY result in disciplinary actions.  As a staff, we try to always take steps to reach a peaceful resolution, and sometimes debate at length before handing down more serious actions.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-16-2018, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When I made all those suggestions that got me banned one of them was a separate SMACK TALK PnR Forum.  Because some folks love to argue (eer...I mean correct others) and some want to discuss issues. Perhaps a no holds barred zone for when we want to get in the gutter and a civil pnR for those looking for information and alternative POVs.

Hell the Smack talk PnR could even stay open on weekends; as it would require very little policing.

I stood behind that proposal.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-16-2018, 12:13 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: You've not watched Harry Potter?

I have not. The family has watched it many times but I have never sat down and watched along. Always been working or doing other things.
(02-16-2018, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When I made all those suggestions that got me banned one of them was a separate SMACK TALK PnR Forum.  Because some folks love to argue (eer...I mean correct others) and some want to discuss issues. Perhaps a no holds barred zone for when we want to get in the gutter and a civil pnR for those looking for information and alternative POVs.

Yeah, on the surface, a no-holds-barred arena to fight to the finish sounds like a wonderful idea.  However, in reality, most likely the butt hurt from one side and the triumphant arrogance of the other would spill outside the "arena", and infect the rest of the boards.

I think that it's highly unlikely that you'll ever see such an "arena" sanctioned by this board and it's staff.  Things like a bully beatdown make for fun "reality" TV, but they don't go over so well in actual life.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(02-16-2018, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When I made all those suggestions that got me banned one of them was a separate SMACK TALK PnR Forum. Because some folks love to argue (eer...I mean correct others) and some want to discuss issues. Perhaps a no holds barred zone for when we want to get in the gutter and a civil pnR for those looking for information and alternative POVs.

(02-16-2018, 02:28 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I stood behind that proposal.

I like the premise, I just have a hard time figuring out where the line would be. At what point would a debate over policy issues wade into the smack territory?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Interesting conversation here, guys. But I'm not quite sure why a thread about decorum would suddenly become an outlet for personal discussions about each other. Also, I'm not quite sure why we are being visited by the ghosts of posts past here.

If you guys have personal stuff to discuss between each other, we have this feature known as "Private Messages". Some of you may have seen or used these in the past. It's a great feature where you can chat and get to know each other better.

As to the idea of having a "P&R Smack Talk" thread: no. It has been discussed by the mods and admins in the past and the idea has been rejected. The prime purpose of this board is as a place to discuss the Cincinnati Bengals. Period. All other forums, including P&R, are secondary and only exist here insomuch as they do not distract from the prime purpose. In general, other forums do not distract as long as a certain degree of decorum and congeniality is met. The concept of a virtual arena for slinging personal insults at each other to the cheers and jeers of 'the crowd' for a political or religious cause runs contrary to the level of decorum and congeniality we seek to maintain so that other forums to not distract from the prime purpose. In short, we don't want this site to be the home of "Political Troll Fest 2018". If that is your 'thing', I suggest you try FaceBook or Twitter.

P&R is not the same as Smack Talk. Smack Talk, while lacking in decorum and congeniality, is directly related to the Cincinnati Bengals. Therefore, it is held at a different standard.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-16-2018, 03:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I like the premise, I just have a hard time figuring out where the line would be. At what point would a debate over policy issues wade into the smack territory?

I think this would be one of those times we would employ that "self-police" we talked about. I think most of us know when a conversation delves into the personal.

(02-16-2018, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When I made all those suggestions that got me banned ...

No one has ever been banned on this site for a suggestion. They are banned for other violations.
(02-16-2018, 03:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think this would be one of those times we would employ that "self-police" we talked about. I think most of us know when a conversation delves into the personal.

I'm sure most of us do know when a conversation delves into the personal. And because we know better, that makes it all the worse when we choose to do it anyway. I need look no farther than this thread to see examples of that.

If all of the members on this site were as diligent and faithful about avoiding personal commentary as you or Matt, I would agree with the 'self police' concept. Unfortunately, history has shown that too many are the exact opposite.
(02-16-2018, 03:57 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'm sure most of us do know when a conversation delves into the personal. And because we know better, that makes it all the worse when we choose to do it anyway. I need look no farther than this thread to see examples of that.

If all of the members on this site were as diligent and faithful about avoiding personal commentary as you or Matt, I would agree with the 'self police' concept. Unfortunately, history has shown that too many are the exact opposite.

I thank you for the compliment, but I'm not as diligent about it as I come off. I am just better at masking it. Ninja

I am trying to be better, though.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-16-2018, 04:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I thank you for the compliment, but I'm not as diligent about it as I come off. I am just better at masking it. Ninja

I am trying to be better, though.

"I got better"

(02-16-2018, 03:02 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I like the premise, I just have a hard time figuring out where the line would be. At what point would a debate over policy issues wade into the smack territory?

I see it as a space to be facetiously over the top in your misrepresentations while remaining non personal. 

"Some soy only diet liberal virgin needs a safe space because he read a negative review of Black Panther"

"Apparently Conservatives feel like their need for overcompensating for micro penises is more important than keeping kids alive"

(02-16-2018, 03:42 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: No one has ever been banned on this site for a suggestion. They are banned for other violations.

Well then your guess is as good as mine. 

(02-16-2018, 07:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well then your guess is as good as mine. 

Let me do some research and PM you back on that.

And you must have at least 5000 rep points or at least 2500 posts or both to participate.

Seems not a good idea. 

First, the "gutter" for one person may be an important social issue for another. Civility requires that we do not call other people names and otherwise personally attack them.  But it does not require that any social issue, civilly raised and discussed, remain out of bounds because it makes someone uncomfortable. 

Second, it is difficult to imagine political conversations going forward in this age of disinformation without some "correction."

Third, it would not much help our political literacy if people are encouraged to think of debate/discussion over politics as a form of "smack."  The purpose of this forum may be, as B-zona said, as a platform for Bengals discussion, but I would argue that PnR has  a higher calling. It is one of those places where people from all over the political spectrum get together and trade views. I have often found it a valuable resource.

Fourth, all who enter this forum know what they are getting into. They cannot stumble into it by accident. It is not a smack forum, but it is also not a "safe space." (LOL that's what Jungle Noise is for.)  It functions best when people police their own civility and the Mods address those who cannot.

(02-16-2018, 09:08 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: And you must have at least 5000 rep points or at least 2500 posts or both to participate.

Let's do it

(02-16-2018, 08:07 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Let me do some research and PM you back on that.

I guess you never completed the research. FWIW, I'll still go with the notion that I received a 3 month ban for suggesting what we could do to make PnR more civil. 

(02-21-2018, 12:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I guess you never completed the research. FWIW, I'll still go with the notion that I received a 3 month ban for suggesting what we could do to make PnR more civil. 

I sent you a PM.