Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Month of July Game Thread
yay

The Reds crush in the first inning and then suck for the rest of the game. WAY too common with this team. That was part of why I started the extended celebrations thread. The Reds remind me of a shitty boxer. Have the opponent on the ropes in the first round and then let them control the rest of the match until the knockout blow.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Why is it opposing pitchers have been bouncing pitches off Reds hitters all year long and our pitchers never, ever retaliate? What kind of gutless shit is that? Darvish has hit two today. After he bounced one off Deitrich's knee, and probably put him on the IL, he turned around and grinned. WTF?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He also grinned after he struck out . . . nothing to see here.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Gray gave a quality start but David H is having a bad season thus far. Hate to say this, but I can now see the Reds trading Castillo for 2-3 major players if the deal blows them away. Castillo is THE hot commodity now that the Reds are falling in standings. See how the Reds do over the next 10 games but it does not look good.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 12:12 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Gray gave a quality start but David H is having a bad season thus far.  Hate to say this, but I can now see the Reds trading Castillo for 2-3 major players if the deal blows them away.  Castillo is THE hot commodity now that the Reds are falling in standings.  See how the Reds do over the next 10 games but it does not look good.

They better not trade Castillo.  Every year they trade best players and fans deserve better. 

As for yesterday, Reds are still 3-1 vs Cubs in series play.  

Get after St Louis now.  GO REDS.  

If Reds trade Castillo or other good players again as last 4 or 5 years, everybody should cancel and stop paying for Fox Ohio TV.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 12:12 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Gray gave a quality start but David H is having a bad season thus far.  Hate to say this, but I can now see the Reds trading Castillo for 2-3 major players if the deal blows them away.  Castillo is THE hot commodity now that the Reds are falling in standings.  See how the Reds do over the next 10 games but it does not look good.

Castillo is signed for several seasons . . . he's not going anywhere until his last year. If he continues on this path, they'll hopefully lock him up long term but they'll probably move him in his final year when/if they're out of it.

I honestly think that Bell's overuse of Hernandez early in the year has him burned out . . . he's in his 30s . . . not every player can recover like they did in their 20s. Bell flat out sucked early on, then he had a stretch where he wasn't making too many boneheaded decisions but he just can't get out of his own way. Sometimes it looks like he makes a move just to make a move. He's making the wrong decisions again and he's doing them in bunches. A struggling, overworked Hernandez should NOT have been the first pitcher out of the pen after the All-Star break in a one run game IN COLOFREEKINGRADO of all places.  

Like I've said before, I watched Mike Scioscia make decisions for 19 years and I don't remember shaking my head or yelling at the TV but that's now almost a daily thing with Dumb Bell.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 12:12 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Gray gave a quality start but David H is having a bad season thus far. Hate to say this, but I can now see the Reds trading Castillo for 2-3 major players if the deal blows them away. Castillo is THE hot commodity now that the Reds are falling in standings. See how the Reds do over the next 10 games but it does not look good.

Trading an emerging Mario Soto for prospects would be PR nightmare right now. There’s been so many recent losing, crappy seasons after trading their best players.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be shocked though highly disappointed if the Yankees paid someone to put out a rumor about Castillo beating his wife so the Reds would trade him for a flat beer and a bag of peanuts left out in the rain overnight.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Castillo is a Cy Young possible candidate and could garner 3 top prospects maybe more. It is a reality that Reds fans must face. They simply need more arms to compete. Again, to move Castillo, it would have to be deal that blows them away. Teams mentioned are the Padres, Astros, Yankees, Blue-Jays, Braves, and Dodgers.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Hey, they put Hernandez on the DL to hide him from Bell. He had an ERA of 27.00 in July with teams only hitting .579 off of him. He was Bell’s first go to guy in the pen. The GM finally had the sense to hide him fro Bell. Pity that it’s a bit too late now!
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 05:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Castillo is a Cy Young possible candidate and could garner 3 top prospects maybe more.  It is a reality that Reds fans must face.  They simply need more arms to compete.  Again, to move Castillo, it would have to be deal that blows them away.  Teams mentioned are the Padres, Astros, Yankees, Blue-Jays, Braves, and Dodgers.

I'm on the fence about the Reds and what to do ? I'm sick of all the "rebuilding" ! On the one hand I don't think this team is that far away but there are several unanswered questions. On the other hand several players are "bubble" types.

They have some very good pieces to build around: Castillo, Gray, (could easily have 2 or 3 more wins) Garrett, Suarez, Senzel, J. Iglesias, Puig ?

Do they have a starting 2nd baseman ? Catcher ? LF ? They need another top end starter, they need bullpen help - a closer ?

I don't think Dietrich is anything more than a bench player. Is S. Gennett gonna get back to old form ? Can Barnhart get back in the saddle at the plate ? Is Winker an everyday player ? You could go on and on.
Reply/Quote
Suarez with another first inning homer!
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2019, 08:17 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm on the fence about the Reds and what to do ? I'm sick of all the "rebuilding" ! On the one hand I don't think this team is that far away but there are several unanswered questions. On the other hand several players are "bubble" types.

They have some very good pieces to build around: Castillo, Gray, (could easily have 2 or 3 more wins) Garrett, Suarez, Senzel, J. Iglesias, Puig ?

Do they have a starting 2nd baseman ? Catcher ? LF ? They need another top end starter, they need bullpen help - a closer ?

I don't think Dietrich is anything more than a bench player. Is S. Gennett gonna get back to old form ? Can Barnhart get back in the saddle at the plate ? Is Winker an everyday player ? You could go on and on.

Good Post.  The Reds simply do not have the arms to be a contender.  So it is a paradox.  The Reds may have to take a step back to move ahead two steps toward post season.  I find it ironic how the Reds approach .500, then take two steps back.  The roster isn't there.  Bell is a rookie and all managers make mistakes.  I think they could get an awesome haul of prospects for either Castillo and yes, even Gray.  

I could see them moving Gray.  He was in the top 3 in cy young voting years back.  He has a friendly contract.  Yes, the Reds do not have the arms and yes, they may have to trade either Gray or Castillo to get more arms.  The Reds could trade Castillo to the Blue Jays and get Stroman, who is 28 years of age, with 3.12 ERA in the American League which is like 2.75 ERA in the National League.  They could also get two additional prospects (Pearson-rhp or Bichette-ss and maybe Murray-rhp) and the Jays would get a young stud in Castillo.  This would be a steep asking price for Castillo but the Reds would have to listen to similar deals by other teams and be blown away.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Not everyday you see a 9-5-6 double play off of a base hit.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the Reds just became sellers after today. Just saying. Their season has been frustrating to watch.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
The team came out very flat to start the year and now to start back from the all star break. There’s no urgency! It looks like yet another freaking last place team. Bob keeps assembling the worst team in the division, at least he bought a team in a city that doesn’t demand winning.
Reply/Quote
OK, so Reds lost 1st game of St Louis series Thursday.

I warn everybody that St Louis pitching is HOT lately. Guys that were good for St Louis in past but struggled early in 2019, are pitching pretty good again. Plus St Louis has some new good pitchers on the rise. So Reds will find St Louis pitchers much tougher than earlier in season.

Still, GO REDS and bounce back on Cardinals.

I'm still against trading Castillo, Gray or all other names some are throwing out there in yet another fire sale as past few years. You know, if you were going to trade a high paid player getting older and not putting up very good numbers last 2 years, that player would be Votto. Now I'm not for trading anybody, but if they would look for who to get rid of, Castillo and Gray stay and Votto highest man on payroll goes in Money Ball. The AL has the DH, so a big money team thinking World Series may love Votto at 1st and their 1st as DH, or Votto as DH. .....As I say, I'm not for trading anybody. If Reds would cut payroll, you start with Votto. Not the pitching Reds are finally putting together.....I picked up Votto in a Cincinnati Reds Fantasy League no less, somebody cut him. I've had him a month or so, but he is in a slump again and I may have to cut Votto this weekend. There are too many HOT players to add. There is no way I would drop Castillo or Gray right now in Fantasy Ball. Reds are stupid if they sell off good players again to pay Votto's big contract.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Grew up a Reds fan. Family had season tickets from 1968 to 1994. Have seen hundreds of Reds games personally. Have been an Astros fan since I moved to Houston in 1996.

Frankly what the Reds should do is what the Astros did. Blow it up for a decade. Sucks for the fans, but it's a commitment to a plan.

Don't dabble in and out. Choose one side or the other. Try to win or try to build a war chest of prospects. There is no in between. Teams that dabble will always be .500 teams or worse.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2019, 07:58 AM)kevin Wrote: OK, so Reds lost 1st game of St Louis series Thursday.

I warn everybody that St Louis pitching is HOT lately. Guys that were good for St Louis in past but struggled early in 2019, are pitching pretty good again. Plus St Louis has some new good pitchers on the rise. So Reds will find St Louis pitchers much tougher than earlier in season.

Still, GO REDS and bounce back on Cardinals.

I'm still against trading Castillo, Gray or all other names some are throwing out there in yet another fire sale as past few years. You know, if you were going to trade a high paid player getting older and not putting up very good numbers last 2 years, that player would be Votto. Now I'm not for trading anybody, but if they would look for who to get rid of, Castillo and Gray stay and Votto highest man on payroll goes in Money Ball. The AL has the DH, so a big money team thinking World Series may love Votto at 1st and their 1st as DH, or Votto as DH. .....As I say, I'm not for trading anybody. If Reds would cut payroll, you start with Votto. Not the pitching Reds are finally putting together.....I picked up Votto in a Cincinnati Reds Fantasy League no less, somebody cut him. I've had him a month or so, but he is in a slump again and I may have to cut Votto this weekend. There are too many HOT players to add. There is no way I would drop Castillo or Gray right now in Fantasy Ball. Reds are stupid if they sell off good players again to pay Votto's big contract.
Agree that you have to have a building base Castillo and Gray are the top two guys. Votto is the new Bailey anchor for sure! The Reds are a Cluster F. They could go in any direction because even they don’t know what they want to do.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2019, 09:26 AM)Stewy Wrote: Grew up a Reds fan. Family had season tickets from 1968 to 1994. Have seen hundreds of Reds games personally. Have been an Astros fan since I moved to Houston in 1996.

Frankly what the Reds should do is what the Astros did. Blow it up for a decade. Sucks for the fans, but it's a commitment to a plan.

Don't dabble in and out. Choose one side or the other. Try to win or try to build a war chest of prospects. There is no in between. Teams that dabble will always be .500 teams or worse.

They attempted that. The recent teams that have done that don’t take ten years. The Reds fell on their faces doing that in 2 areas. First, they can’t identify top talent so they traded highly rated MLB talent for prospects that weren’t that great. They went for quantity over quality. Second, their farm system sucks and they can’t even develop high draft picks. They were making zero progress because of these things. This owner has produced 3 winning teams in 14 years. They won’t spend enough money and nepotism with the GM and manager rarely work in Pro Sports. Votto won’t be addressed until his contract is up in 4 years because he’s some kinda demigod in this city. I’m not a PC kinda guy but those are the facts that won’t be mentioned in the local media. You see, the Reds and Bengals get a pass and then the teams take care of the media and their families. The teams attitude is that if you don’t like it, leave. Did I forget anything?
Reply/Quote