Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Report: Bengals willing to work with Andy Dalton on trade
Am I the only one thinking that if Dalton gets traded before FA starts, AJ Green might look to go to that same team in FA?
They have good chemistry.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well hell. Does this mean the Bengals are now in the business of making other teams better?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 06:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't think there is evidence that Dalton is enough of an upgrade over Trubisky to justify bailing on a rookie contract and taking on a near 18 million dollar QB.  I can also see their front office desperately stinking behind Trubisky and hoping for a miracle. 

Daltons contract could lead to the rest of the NFL calling our bluff on not cutting him.

For the Bengals a trade would be nice but not necessarily the best outcome.  FA starts 3/18 with Andy under contract which limits who the Bengals can sign in FA.  Maybe the players they target can't be signed unless the Bengals waive Dalton.  Win-Win for Bengals and Dalton.   Finding a team Dalton likes and can take on Dalton's contract will be tough.  Finding that team and them making a trade offer the Bengals like is harder yet.
So a waiver looks to me the most likely outcome given the stated desires of Dalton and the club in that anonymous report.
Reply/Quote
Trade him for a cold hamburger and a coke. The team already made money by signing him on the cheap his last contract. With the other QBs available and his salary makes it hard to get anything of value for him. Tying up cap space on he and AJ ( 17 % of cap) who may not even play is plain crazy. If the team wanted to accommodate Dalton let him walk and make his own deal. Making Andy and AJ stay will do no good for the team. Time to move on.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 06:25 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I’m thinking realistically the most they can get for Dalton is a 3rd or a 4th ?  It’s a strong free agent QB class with Brady, Bress, Rivers, Tannehill, Prescott , Winston and maybe a guy like Newton being available via trade. Plus if we go Burrow  number 1 ,two QB needy teams will probably draft Tua and Herbert in round 1 which takes them out of the QB market. Plus teams know we need to get rid of Dalton because there’s no way we’re paying Dalton $17.5 million as a backup.

Well for Brady, supposedly the Raiders are very interested, so that would put Carr on the market for trade as well, whom I consider a tad bit better than AD.

But Carr is under contract til 2022 ends:
Derek Carr signed a 5 year, $125,000,000 contract with the Oakland Raiders, including a $12,500,000 signing bonus, $70,200,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $25,000,000. In 2020, Carr will earn a base salary of $18,900,000 and a workout bonus of $100,000, while carrying a cap hit of $21,500,000 and a dead cap value of $7,900,000.

2021 would be the better season for the Raiders to move him, as dead cap is only $2.9 mil. So to me unless Brady just does a 1 year deal, then I don't think the Raiders are really going to make a move for him. It's all JG dreaming and media outlets making useless noise.

Prescott? Cowboys will take care of him. JJ takes care of his QB's, just like MB does.

Brady will stay in NE (he doesn't need the money and he's always giving NE and friendly deal, so more of the same).
Brees won't go anywhere, he will stay in NO.

Rivers will be available, but his age is a factor and I think personally he would retire before going to any team that is not on the West Coast and close to his home/Family in San Diego.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 05:28 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: If they really wanted to help him, they’d trade him before FA. The phrase “when the time is right” tells me the team wants to maximize its return, which might not be until the draft.

(02-12-2020, 06:31 PM)pally Wrote: Teams won't buy before they can see what they can get without giving anything up

Haven't gone through all the posts, but in addition to pally's answer, I believe no trades can be made until the new league year starts in a month.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 02:08 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Haven't gone through all the posts, but in addition to pally's answer, I believe no trades can be made until the new league year starts in a month.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2019-20-important-nfl-dates/

here it is
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 01:55 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Rivers will be available, but his age is a factor and I think personally he would retire before going to any team that is not on the West Coast and close to his home/Family in San Diego.

Rivers just moved to Tampa Bay.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 02:08 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Haven't gone through all the posts, but in addition to pally's answer, I believe no trades can be made until the new league year starts in a month.

(02-13-2020, 02:11 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2019-20-important-nfl-dates/

here it is

I wonder if there is a similar “tamper window” for trades, that is available for FA.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2020, 06:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't think there is evidence that Dalton is enough of an upgrade over Trubisky to justify bailing on a rookie contract and taking on a near 18 million dollar QB.  I can also see their front office desperately stinking behind Trubisky and hoping for a miracle. 

Daltons contract could lead to the rest of the NFL calling our bluff on not cutting him.

Bluff MB?  Hahahahahahaha  He doesn't fall for bluffs. He's too much of a straight shooter. He either gets what he wants or no deal. He doesn't have a boss overlooking his actions, he's the boss.

(02-12-2020, 09:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Actually working together Bengals and Dalton can be more of an asset than working alone to trade Andy.. talking with Andy getting his feel etc can provide more information and a better communication with other teams.... the name is escaping me but how about a week or so ago when an NBA player was traded... and he went off about the trade.. no knowledge of the trade etc... I think a team would much prefer to know a player is going to be happy coming to their team and maybe more open to reworking a contract.

I agree the Bengals have to do what is best for them.. but communication can help and lets be honest from media and  other teams player perspective the Front Office does not get great raves for caring for their players... this might actually help them in that aspect.

I agree, Dalton can get a new deal worked out for 3 years or so and both win.

(02-13-2020, 02:15 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Rivers just moved to Tampa Bay.

Oh Really? Interesting. I wouldn't rule out NO and Miami.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 03:39 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Bluff MB?  Hahahahahahaha  He doesn't fall for bluffs. He's too much of a straight shooter. He either gets what he wants or no deal. He doesn't have a boss overlooking his actions, he's the boss.

Well right, but it might work if anyone really wanted Dalton.  I can just see other teams being satisfied enough with the guy they have or the FA QBs out there but again I expect MB to ask for the moon for Dalton because that's his MO.

I just don't see a team that isn't going to draft a new guy ponying up much for Dalton in the interim. Maybe NE thinks they can plug in Dalton and compete right now, but they are the last team that is going to sell the farm to MB if that's the game he wants to play. I'll be interested to see if MB can actually trade a QB now that Hue Jackson is out of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Andy can fetch a low 2 or high 3 pretty easily. The contract is not an issue because we are still under the current CBA so he is completely free to renegotiate it to reduce the cap hit.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 12:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Am I the only one thinking that if Dalton gets traded before FA starts, AJ Green might look to go to that same team in FA?

I think if he doesnt stay here AJ will try to find a team capable of making a run in the play offs as well as a qb with a stronger arm.

I think he is going to do pretty ok with burrow, but what do I know
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 04:17 PM)Joelist Wrote: Andy can fetch a low 2 or high 3 pretty easily. The contract is not an issue because we are still under the current CBA so he is completely free to renegotiate it to reduce the cap hit.

The contract is an issue. Would you give up a second or third round pick for one year of play while paying 18 mil for a low tier QB ?
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 04:19 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I think if he doesnt stay here AJ will try to find a team capable of making a run in the play offs as well as a qb with a stronger arm.

I think he is going to do pretty ok with burrow, but what do I know

He may, but would he be confident the Bengals can contend for a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years? Because that's his longevity.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 04:21 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The contract is an issue. Would you give up a second or third round pick for one year of play while paying 18 mil for a low tier QB ?

If Bengals allow other teams to negotiate prior to any trade, the one year deal becomes obsolete and could add to his value for a team that likes AD. They could do a 3 year 50 million deal with only 23 million guaranteed for example.

That is not a stretch for the Bengals QB record holder in many categories and a QB with a winning record with a crappy organization.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 10:33 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: We do find value in the 4th fairly often, so it's not all bad if that happens.

Anything earlier than a 5th round pick is a good deal imo. Multiple picks is basically theft.

His value is much more than a 5th.

His contract is cheap for a starting QB outside a rookie deal and if he walks at the end of it the team are likely to get a third round compensatory.

That should set the asking price at least a third and possibly up to a second if there's a bidding war.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 05:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If Bengals allow other teams to negotiate prior to any trade, the one year deal becomes obsolete and could add to his value for a team that likes AD. They could do a 3 year 50 million deal with only 23 million guaranteed for example.

That is not a stretch for the Bengals QB record holder in many categories and a QB with a winning record with a crappy organization.

Guess who isn't a top ten QB over the last ten years? Hint: it isn't Dalton. Because he had good stats here doesn't mean he is a top QB. His worth is to a team who wants to gap 2020 until a later round rookie QB develops.  Try to think as a fan of another team would. " You are bringing in who to be our QB?" They would be in full fledge revolt.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 05:26 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If Bengals allow other teams to negotiate prior to any trade, the one year deal becomes obsolete and could add to his value for a team that likes AD. They could do a 3 year 50 million deal with only 23 million guaranteed for example.

No it is not a stretch. Other teams will have their coaches deciding if Andy fits their system =. If they like that piece the next piece is talking to him which is where he can agree to a deal designed to lower the cap hit. Remember there is no more signing bonus from his old deal left to accelerate so he can tear that deal up at his option. Once they agree then they make the trade offer - I have to think it will be either a three or a possible low two. Unless Mikey is stupid he accepts it. Really I hope wherever it is he prospers as he not only has been a good QB but has contributed a lot to the community. 

Also I would like to see Andy in a consistent and logical offensive scheme with even decent blocking. The one time we had that he was in the MVP discussion. I also want to see Burrow in a consistent and logical scheme with decent blocking - the question is if he can have that with us. 
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2020, 12:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Am I the only one thinking that if Dalton gets traded before FA starts, AJ Green might look to go to that same team in FA?

More like AJ made Dalton seem average and He's below average.... No way AJ follows Dalton, its finally his chance to play with a real QB
Reply/Quote