Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Who's Left?
(02-14-2019, 03:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's February 14. Last year, Frank Reich wasn't hired as the Colts HC until February 11.  Step back from the ledge a bit 

We hired Austin on January 8th so I mean it's not like getting a guy in early means it'll be a good thing.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 03:25 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I’ve been on interviews where I was flown in for a couple of days where I had an offer but decided to stay put because my current employer made it more attractive to stay put.  I’ve also been pursued by other companies where because of logistics, fear of the unknown, etc that I declined interviews.

This isn’t as big a deal as y’all are making it.  Some guys were approached, some actually interviewed, and no one was hired.  It is what it is.

Not sure there’s much to the rumor of Ryan interviewing.  This is the first I’ve even heard of it, and it’s at best idle speculation.  But, that would be a HUGE get.  I’m suspecting one of the other, less known (but totally capable) defensive minds will be the choice.  And, it will happen by this weekend.

No theres no word the bengals reach out to ryan cause its just from an article a dude wrote that if we are looking for a DC with HC experience.. Go get Rex Ryan. he checks all the boxes.

^^  That is the exact same as the Del Rio and Cappers articles were except we did eventually reach out to both long after the articles surficed
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 03:28 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Marquand Manuel

(02-14-2019, 03:34 PM)pally Wrote: nope...Aaron Glenn

Manuel was fired from Atlanta because he was awful and Glenn has had one of the worst Secondaries in the NFL in 2 out of 3 seasons. And at this point they are 2 out of 3 remaining candidates we know about. Scary stuff. I would love to know why Taylor thought Jack Del Rio was not a good fit...the guy is a proven DC and it makes me wonder if he was worried about him being a former Head Coach. To me though JDR has been a head coach twice and like Wade Phillips he could have realized that sometimes it is nice to just stay in one place and be a good DC.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 01:48 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Correct on all accounts Nate. I haven't heard of anyone being offered the job yet.

Me neither, would like for someone to back this stuff up before saying it like it is gospel.

(02-14-2019, 02:15 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't think Del Rio was ever anything serious. I think their 'phone interview' was more of a courtesy than anything else, being that they're both Lamonte guys and were just sort of testing the waters.

With Capers, he'll be 69 years old when the season starts and might not want to be a full-time DC at this point in his career, which could be why he didn't want the interview.

With Grantham, it was reported that his relationship with Mullen and he and his family's fondness of Gainesville were the deciding factors in him choosing to stay at Florida. Of course, I'm sure the extension and healthy pay raise didn't hurt either.  Ninja

I think all the overreaction as far as the DC void, doesn't match up with the reality of the situation. They'll find a guy that they want, and who wants to be here. Just gotta have a little patience.

This makes complete sense, thanks Holic. Always need you around for a little perspective brother.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 02:27 PM)Okeana Wrote: here its starting to come

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-sports-rex-ryan-bengals-20190214-story.html

on a side note, my cousin saw Rex Ryan at 8 am this morning boarding a plane from Tennessee to Cincinnati

Wow, surprising. I mean, if Taylor wants Rex i am for it. Just surprised with Rex's strong personality.

But he is a good DC and knows the AFC North very well.

(02-14-2019, 02:59 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: All reports were it was their jobs if they wanted them. Grantham was here for two days and chose to go back to Florida. As far as Capers I thought he was offered the job and turned them down but I could be wrong on that one.

I have heard other reports so it definately wasn't all of them.

Capers is old dude, i think this has more to do with him turning down interviews than anything.
Reply/Quote
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/02/14/who-said-what-cincinnati-bengals-coach-zac-taylors-pursuit-dc/2869026002/

This is an interesting article, Del Rio didn't turn us down we turned him down. Also interesting in points out we didn't low ball Grantham like some here want to claim.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, surprising. I mean, if Taylor wants Rex i am for it. Just surprised with Rex's strong personality.

But he is a good DC and knows the AFC North very well.

I have heard other reports so it definately wasn't all of them.

Capers is old dude, i think this has more to do with him turning down interviews than anything.

I am glad it wasn't Capers as well. There was just a story on Cincinnati.Com https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/02/14/who-said-what-cincinnati-bengals-coach-zac-taylors-pursuit-dc/2869026002/http://

The article talks about...

Del Rio was interested and Taylor didn't want him (would like to know more about that)

Capers was mutual decision not to move forward so any reports that he turned it down or passed on the actual job were just wrong

Dennis Allen of the Saints was the number one choice for Taylor but that was always a long shot

Vance Joseph interest from the Bengals organization but he took Arizona job early

Then Grantham was zeroed in on and the Bengals were offering a competitive salary but he chose to go back to Florida (some reasons being the old Defensive Line and worried about success switching to a 3-4)

***Those reasons were listed but who knows what the actual truth was for his decision. Still makes you wonder if they are going to let a new DC have a say in the personnel they have for this upcoming season or if they just expect them to make it work with the players under contract and whatever they add in the draft.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:03 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Manuel was fired from Atlanta because he was awful and Glenn has had one of the worst Secondaries in the NFL in 2 out of 3 seasons. And at this point they are 2 out of 3 remaining candidates we know about. Scary stuff. I would love to know why Taylor thought Jack Del Rio was not a good fit...the guy is a proven DC and it makes me wonder if he was worried about him being a former Head Coach. To me though JDR has been a head coach twice and like Wade Phillips he could have realized that sometimes it is nice to just stay in one place and be a good DC.

That's my fear. I see them going with friends and inexperienced coaches. He may feel threatened by JDR.

It's also scary that they'd want to go with a 3-4 DC as we have terrible LB's and I'd say it would take 2-3 years until we could adequately run a 3-4.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:26 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I am glad it wasn't Capers as well. There was just a story on Cincinnati.Com https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/02/14/who-said-what-cincinnati-bengals-coach-zac-taylors-pursuit-dc/2869026002/http://

Del Rio was interested and Taylor didn't want him (would like to know more about that)

Capers was mutual decision not to move forward so any reports that he turned it down or passed on the actual job were just wrong

Dennis Allen of the Saints was the number one choice for Taylor but that was always a long shot

Vance Joseph interest from the Bengals organization but he took Arizona job early

Then Grantham was zeroed in on and the Bengals were offering a competitive salary but he chose to go back to Florida (some reasons being the old Defensive Line and worried about success switching to a 3-4)

***Those reasons were listed but who knows what the actual truth was for his decision. Still makes you wonder if they are going to let a new DC have a say in the personnel they have for this upcoming season or if they just expect them to make it work with the players under contract and whatever they add in the draft.

I don't see how they can change over the defense to a 3-4, AND fix the offensive line, AND get a reliable starting LB, AND add 2 new LB's.

Just don't see it.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't see how they can change over the defense to a 3-4, AND fix the offensive line, AND get a reliable starting LB, AND add 2 new LB's.

Just don't see it.

I brought it up a couple of times this morning.....maybe folks are concerned about the personnel.  Grantham seems to have confirmed that.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: I brought it up a couple of times this morning.....maybe folks are concerned about the personnel.  Grantham seems to have confirmed that.

DC's have taken worse jobs before. I think he was concerned because of what he'd have to do to have instant success in a switch to a 3-4. I think we have the personnel to switch, however it may take a year or two to gel with it. He is a top candidate in the next few years so he can wait for the ready made job.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: I brought it up a couple of times this morning.....maybe folks are concerned about the personnel.  Grantham seems to have confirmed that.

I see it as a clear concern. Not that I think Grantham is some great coach. Honestly, JDR is the only guy that would have excited me.

The other guys have all been mediocre.

Look at it this way, we have a small scouting staff. Historically poor management. We don't really add many free agents. Our only chance to compete is by getting great coaches.

Grantham is a known mediocre guy and our personnel don't really fit his scheme. We're looking at a 2-3 year defensive rebuild if we move to the 3-4 and that wastes Atkins and Dunlaps remaining career.
Reply/Quote
And the worry worry hen party is in full blown progress.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I see it as a clear concern. Not that I think Grantham is some great coach. Honestly, JDR is the only guy that would have excited me.

Look at it this way, we have a small scouting staff. Historically poor management. We don't really add many free agents. Our only chance to compete is by getting great coaches.

Grantham is a known mediocre guy and our personnel don't really fit his scheme. We're looking at a 2-3 year defensive rebuild if we move to the 3-4 and that wastes Atkins and Dunlaps remaining career.

JDR thought our personnel was good enough...
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I see it as a clear concern. Not that I think Grantham is some great coach. Honestly, JDR is the only guy that would have excited me.

How many times does this myth have to be explained away ?  The first dozen times didn't take?  Go take a walk out in the fresh air and calm down.  Sheesh.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: DC's have taken worse jobs before. I think he was concerned because of what he'd have to do to have instant success in a switch to a 3-4. I think we have the personnel to switch, however it may take a year or two to gel with it. He is a top candidate in the next few years so he can wait for the ready made job.

This is all very true, and good points....and he can get PAID in Gainesville while his son finishes up HS football to boot.

True about wasting Dunlap and Geno....but I think Todd is better coach than some feel.  I also think that's exactly why ZT targeted him.

(02-14-2019, 04:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: JDR thought our personnel was good enough...

It seems he did.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:46 PM)McC Wrote: How many times does this myth have to be explained away ?  The first dozen times didn't take?  Go take a walk out in the fresh air and calm down.  Sheesh.

Well Grantham gave it as his reason to not come here.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well Grantham gave it as his reason to not come here.

One thing's for sure, if that doesn't light a fire under those guys' collective asses, NOTHING will.

That said, it wasn't the only reason.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2019, 04:26 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I am glad it wasn't Capers as well. There was just a story on Cincinnati.Com https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2019/02/14/who-said-what-cincinnati-bengals-coach-zac-taylors-pursuit-dc/2869026002/http://

Good stuff, thanks. Whoever the new DC is he will need atleast one decent LB in FA and a good LB coach.

This is the most obvious weakness on Defense. The LB's are trash, or atleast they were under Haslett.
Reply/Quote
Has anyone seen anything about Mike Elko (Texas A&M) interviewing? I know he's been mentioned, but I've seen nothing about an actual interview. He has years of quality DC experience at the college level.
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote