Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Fallacy of White Privilege
(10-03-2016, 12:57 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Oh...OK....Beyond reproach - so, you don't actually KNOW FOR A FACT it happened.   Yeah, I've heard that line before.  YHe's pulling your leg - this story is bullshit, it's beyond incredulous on multiple levels.  It's not that he didn't call Uber - it's that he NEVER called Uber despite all the hassles, and waited over an hour to even call his friend.  This wreaks of bullshit - you're gullible.

And it's not possible relevant facts are being withheld and other parts grossly embellished?  Because when you tell me he can't get a cab for an hour....well, ok, I think that's dubious if dozens of cabs are going by.

But when you tell me 3-4 cabs left when the white guy got out, now THAT is clearly bullshit.  I'm going to guess he was being profiled for where he was going, which apparently turned out to be true....namely that there isn't a return fair from where he went.

Because most NY cab drivers are neither white nor American and just looking to make a buck.

Again, kudos on the respirator.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(10-03-2016, 12:57 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Oh...OK....Beyond reproach - so, you don't actually KNOW FOR A FACT it happened.   Yeah, I've heard that line before.  YHe's pulling your leg - this story is bullshit, it's beyond incredulous on multiple levels.  It's not that he didn't call Uber - it's that he NEVER called Uber despite all the hassles, and waited over an hour to even call his friend.  This wreaks of bullshit - you're gullible.

And it's not possible relevant facts are being withheld and other parts grossly embellished?  Because when you tell me he can't get a cab for an hour....well, ok, I think that's dubious if dozens of cabs are going by.

But when you tell me 3-4 cabs left when the white guy got out, now THAT is clearly bullshit.  I'm going to guess he was being profiled for where he was going, which apparently turned out to be true....namely that there isn't a return fair from where he went.

Because most NY cab drivers are neither white nor American and just looking to make a buck.

I'm actually giving dude credit for suggesting he made it up. If someone actually told him this and he believed it; then I don't know what to say.

Let's look at the facts:

If white dude stopped 3 cabs in 5 minutes, that would equal 46 cabs in an hour that did/ could have stopped for the "professional looking" black guy, but decided they didn't want the late night fare.

We must then understand the demographics of the drivers:

A recent yellow cab facts book shows that only 5.9% of their drivers come from the U.S (the highest number I saw was 8%).; the rest are immigrants.

So if we are to belief the story then we should look to restrict immigration as by dude's testimony: they don't like black folk.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-03-2016, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm actually giving dude credit for suggesting he made it up. If someone actually told him this and he believed it; then I don't know what to say.

Let's look at the facts:

If white dude stopped 3 cabs in 5 minutes, that would equal 46 cabs in an hour that did/ could have stopped for the "professional looking" black guy, but decided they didn't want the late night fare.

A recent yellow cab facts book shows that only 5.9% of their drivers come from the U.S (the highest number I saw was 8%).; the rest are immigrants.

So if we are to belief the story then we should look to restrict immigration as by dude's testimony: they don't like black folk.

Look, it's not that immigrants "don't like black folk," it's just that they are prejudiced . . . which is natural according to this thread.  Since no on was unjustly harmed, this doesn't even rise to the level of racism according to JustWinBaby's standard.  

JustWinBaby would never allow his natural prejudice to color his hiring of other races even though he compared them to predators he fears would harm him and thus avoids.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/race-cab-hailing-ride-black-white/story?id=7223511

Quote:In the second part of a three-part series called "Black and White Now," "Good Morning America" tackles racial profiling. Click here to see the first part in the series about race relations.

It's a highly publicized issue with a highly visible face. Nearly a decade ago, actor Danny Glover took on the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission, saying five yellow cabs in a single day refused to stop for him because he was black.

"I don't expect to have a taxi. I've been conditioned to think that someone is not going to stop for me," Glover said of the racial profiling incident.

His formal complaint sparked a nationwide debate about subtle and not so subtle racism in public places like on city streets, in restaurants and shopping malls.

That was November 1999. "GMA" wanted to see how much things had changed in 2009 and enlisted the help of well-known black attorney Christopher Darden, who was the prosecutor inO.J. Simpson's murder trail.

"Obviously there are situations where almost all of us can all agree that someone's actions are racially motivated, but racism and discrimination are typically practiced in a subtle way," said Darden, who is now a successful defense attorney.

Our Experiment: Hailing a Cab

With "GMA's" cameras rolling, Darden was easily able to hail a New York City cab in broad daylight.

"I got the first cab and there was a second one that was trying to squeeze that one out of the way," he said.

But his luck changed when day turned to night. After the sun went down, two cabs passed him. The third cab, which was driven by a black man, stopped and picked him up.

"There you have it. I guess it's true what they say, 'After dark, it's hard to catch a cab to Harlem,'" Darden said.

Black vs. White
In "GMA's" second experiment, a black man and a Caucasian man were tapped to hail cabs. They hailed more than 40 cabs and during the day neither man had a problem. But as the sun went down, the first taxi the men tried to get passed directly by the black man to pick up the Caucasian man.

Then minutes later, it happened again with another cab. It was the same story uptown and three out of the 10 cabs hailed at night passed up the black man.

"At night they will slow down to pick me up and realize that I'm a person of color then suddenly flip the switch; they're out of service and will drive on. And I've seen it as far as they will go to the next block and pick someone else up within clear sight," said Briscoe Savoy, a Brooklyn, N.Y., resident who is a photographer and participated in the experiment.

When "GMA" told the New York City Taxi Commission what happened, it issued the following statement:

"Unfortunately, the problem of taxicab drivers prejudging certain fares still exists, though to a lesser extent than in years past," the statement said.

The commission said it now puts cabbies through a rigorous training, which includes service refusal issues as well as the continuing education class they must take after their probationary year. It said cabbies follow the rules "97 percent" of the time.

Shopping While Black
It isn't just blacks who feel discrimination. A recent Gallup survey shows 15 percent of all workers, of all races, say they have been subject to some form of discrimination.

Thirty-one percent of Asians surveyed said they'd experienced discrimination -- the largest percentage of any ethnic group.

Taxicabs aren't the only place where people say they experience racism.

The phrase "shopping while black" was coined to describe racial profiling experiences that blacks have while in stores when a clerk follows them to ensure they don't shoplift.

Nine years ago, "20/20" conducted a hidden camera investigation that followed two women. One black woman and one white browsed through an upscale, suburban shopping department store.

The clerk followed the black shopper closely and apparently singled her out as a possible shoplifter. The clerk even went so far as to peek into her dressing room.

An ABC News/Washington Post poll from January found 60 percent of blacks have felt a storekeeper was trying to make them feel unwelcome solely because of their race.

So even a decade after Glover's complaint, issues of racial profiling still occur.

Go to the next page to read part one of the "GMA" series "Black and White Now."

Read part one of the "GMA" series "Black and White Now."

What a Doll Tells Us About Race
"GMA" examines race relations by revisiting a famous doll experiment.

With a black first family and fewer people citing racism as a "big problem," just how much have the country's race relations changed?

It's a question "Good Morning America" posed in its three-part series "Black and White Now," which takes a look at the current state of race relations.

In Part 1, "GMA" recreated a famous doll experiment, which gave insight into race relations and the self-esteem of children.

The Original Experiment

In the 1940s, the nation was captivated by an electrifying experiment by legendary sociologists Kenneth and Mamie Clark. They asked black children about two dolls, one white and one black.

The majority -- 63 percent of them -- said they'd rather play with the white doll. Most said the white doll was nicer than the black doll and in the most poignant answer of all, 44 percent of the black children said the white doll looked most like them.

"[It was] groundbreaking in that it sort of changed the way we look at race relations," Harvard University professor William Julius Wilson said. "Here are kids who felt that [...] being white was more beautiful than black. And that's pretty devastating."

Our Experiment
Sixty years and one biracial president later, "GMA" gathered 19 black children, ranging in age from 5 to 9 years old, in Norfolk, Va.
Some of our results differed vastly from those of the original experiment. For example, 88 percent of our children happily identified with the dark-skinned doll.

Forty-two percent of the children wanted to play with the black doll compared to 32 percent for the white doll.

"GMA" then moved on to that question about which doll is nice and which is not. Sixty years ago, 56 percent of the children chose the white doll. The majority of our kids chose black or both and 32 percent chose the white doll.

Sometimes the choice had nothing to do with race.

"The bad doll is on my right because that's just the way it looks at me. It kind of creeps me out with the beady eyes," said 9-year-old Chareese Hicks, a fourth-grade participant who picked the white doll as bad.

Yet sometimes the answer about which doll was nicer raised some disturbing questions.

"It talks back and don't follow directions," said 7-year-old Alexis Lindsey, a second-grader who chose the black doll as the bad one.

Judging Beauty

There was another question "GMA" asked. In this age of much superficial judgment, when so many magazines and ads concentrate on looks, we wanted to know about appearance. Which doll was more beautiful?

A number of kids, including second-grader Sergine Mombrun, said there was no difference.

"Just by looking at them I think both of them are pretty," the 7-year-old said. "Babies are cute."

Most of the children who agreed with Sergine were boys.

"They are the same, no difference but the skin color. [It] doesn't really matter," said 9-year-old fourth-grader Cordell Means.

Wilson offered a reason for the disparity between the girls and the boys.

"Black boys are more confident," he said. "Black girls are less confident."

"Black girls do not feel that they enjoy the respect and admiration that black boys do," he said.

Second-grader Jamya Atkins, 7, picked the white doll as soon as she sat down and before the questions began.

She said the white doll was shiny and the black doll was frowning.

Nayomi McPeters, a 7-year-old second-grader, said the black doll was the ugly doll "because sometimes this one has its feet like a monkey."

In fact, 47 percent of the girls we questioned said the white doll was prettier.

"Black children develop perceptions about their race very early. They are not oblivious to this. There's still that residue. There's still the problem, the overcoming years, decades of racial and economic subordination," Wilson said.

And even with the questions raised by this experiment, there is hope.

With Barack Obama as president, many of the children said they believe they too could be the commander in chief one day.

"Barack Obama was like my idol," said 8-year-old third-grader Jahlia Jordan. "He has persevered and gone though so much. Because he done it, I can do it, too."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-30-2016, 01:08 PM)PhilHos Wrote: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/431393/white-privilege-myth-reality

This article showed up on my Facebook newsfeed this morning and considering this topic came up in the other thread, I felt this was God's way of telling me to post it and so I did.  ThumbsUp

Thoughts? (On the article, not on God speaking to me via Facebook Mellow)

United Way CEO: When I Became Aware of My White Privilege

I think you should probably let your CEO know about the myth. 
(10-04-2016, 02:17 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: JustWinBaby would never allow his natural prejudice to color his hiring of other races even though he compared them to predators he fears would harm him and thus avoids.

Huh?

So this fantastical story is a beacon of racial prejudice in America, even though most cab drivers aren't American?

Yes, I am color blind.  If that makes me a bigot then you're a loser.
--------------------------------------------------------

(10-03-2016, 02:47 PM)xxlt Wrote: Again, kudos on the respirator.

Well, when you try to push obvious bullshit as fact maybe at least make an effort to not look like you're pretending not to be a fraud.

(10-03-2016, 07:16 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'll say you are.

Still complaining that a minority can get an "opportunity" a white person cannot is just sad.

Do you know why?

Because white people can get them too!

That is absolutely a lie.

Do you know that, or will you pretend to be ignorant?

(10-09-2016, 03:02 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Huh?

So this fantastical story is a beacon of racial prejudice in America, even though most cab drivers aren't American?

Yes, I am color blind.  If that makes me a bigot then you're a loser.

You have stated prejudice is natural. 

When asked if prejudice against other races based upon their race is racism you stated, no. 

You compared other races to animals, specifically lions 

Not hiring "lions" doesn't make you a "lion hater" because the "lions" aren't "unjustly harmed" by your "natural" prejudice, right?
(10-09-2016, 03:06 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Well, when you try to push obvious bullshit as fact maybe at least make an effort to not look like you're pretending not to be a fraud.

Why no comments on this?

(10-04-2016, 08:58 AM)GMDino Wrote: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/race-cab-hailing-ride-black-white/story?id=7223511
(10-09-2016, 10:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why no comments on this?

Really didn't think it deserved any, but OK.

First of all it was an article from 7 years ago, so if that's the most current proof one can find: Strike 1

Secondly, it said 3 out of 10 cabs passed the black guy to get to the white guy, so guess what 7 out of 10 did: Strike 2

Finally, it has been shown that the vast majority of NYC cab drivers are immigrants, so they were not reared in this "white privilege" culture: Strike 3

Is there anything else? 

(10-09-2016, 12:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Really didn't think it deserved any, but OK.

First of all it was an article from 7 years ago, so if that's the most current proof one can find: Strike 1

Secondly, it said 3 out of 10 cabs passed the black guy to get to the white guy, so guess what 7 out of 10 did: Strike 2

Finally, it has been shown that the vast majority of NYC cab drivers are immigrants, so they were not reared in this "white privilege" culture: Strike 3

Is there anything else? 

No proof that anything bhas changed in the last 7 years.  Strike one.

It does not take 100% to prove racism exists.  Strike two,

The white privilege does not applyto the taxi drivers.  It applies to the people getting the rides.  You do not even understand what we are discussing  Strike three.
(10-08-2016, 07:33 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: United Way CEO: When I Became Aware of My White Privilege

I think you should probably let your CEO know about the myth. 
I don't work for the United Way, never have (though I have worked WITH them at times).

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
(10-09-2016, 03:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I don't work for the United Way,  never have (though I have worked WITH them at times).

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

United Way. Salvation Army. You all look the same to me.   I don't see color. 
(10-09-2016, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No proof that anything bhas changed in the last 7 years.  Strike one.

The white privilege does not applyto the taxi drivers.  It applies to the people getting the rides.  You do not even understand what we are discussing  Strike three.

1) Except in the article where it mentioned drivers were getting training

2) Who the hell is talking about racism: "You do not even understand what we are discussing" 

3) That's why i say reared in this country. Wouldn't you have to be brought up in a country where this "White Privilege" to participate in it?

I know full well what we are talking about. I cannot be held accountable for your inability to grasp it.  

(10-03-2016, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm actually giving dude credit for suggesting he made it up. If someone actually told him this and he believed it; then I don't know what to say.

Let's look at the facts:

http://www.radiolab.org/story/91939-fu-manchu/
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

(10-09-2016, 02:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No proof that anything bhas changed in the last 7 years.  Strike one.

(10-09-2016, 07:54 PM)xxlt Wrote: http://www.radiolab.org/story/91939-fu-manchu/

You'll forgive me if I don't click the link; I can only assume it was relevant.

I'd like to talk more, but I have to go outside and hail a cab for my professional looking black friend. 

(10-09-2016, 08:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You'll forgive me if I don't click the link; I can only assume it was relevant.

I'd like to talk more, but I have to go outside and hail a cab for my professional looking black friend. 

Perfect! The link was posted for the benefit of others. When I posted it, it was with absolute certainty it would give several other members a chuckle while you either a) would ignore it, or b) would fail to understand the relevance. I'd prefer not to talk further, as I prefer talking to people with integrity.
(10-09-2016, 05:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Wouldn't you have to be brought up in a country where this "White Privilege" to participate in it?

No.  Not at all.

Why would you even say something like this?