Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Welcome to the jungle Daxton Hill!
Doug Faraar Touchdown Wire/USA Today The Bengals did a lot in free agency to upgrade their offensive line (a veritable and obvious necessity), and they may do more in this particular mock. But they also need help in the secondary — Chidobe Awuzie and Jessie Bates III are great defenders, and the addition of Hill, who can play everywhere from the slot to the deep third to outside cornerback, would give defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo all kinds of options.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 09:42 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Imo this was as good as a pick as we could have hoped for. There were other players that this could also be said for as well, but the safety situation being shaky after this season, getting Hill is just a smart pick. But most importantly, Hill is just a really good 'football player' which will only be a boost to the defense. Nice job Bengals!

Looks like a "we just cant pass this guy up" situation but I think we all know the underlying reason for the pick and not being able to retain Bates longterm. That said, hes a great player and now ...hopefully we start addressing the IOL and especially a 3T DT to fill the Larry void.
I was pissed Chargers got Zion....dam they look scary now after Free Agency and hitting on the last few drafts.  
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:39 AM)kevin Wrote: It makes sense. He was the best player on the board by ESPN.  In fact they had him at pick 18, Bengals got him at 31.  Bengals said they may go for depth looking to the future.  In other words, Bates is only on a 1 year Franchise Tag.  This solves drafting someone to replace Bates next year.  

For Pick 31, getting someone ranked at 18 falling to Bengals is a steal at 31.   We knew they were going Defense, anywhere on Defense, and they did.

This is a good pick....I'm also glad I had my computer on ESPN draft cast as I watched regular TV shows.  Just as watching Reds with sound off is better.

This year, watching the Reds with a blindfold is better!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:31 AM)pally Wrote: everybody but TV was reporting it

Everyone could have done what I did and completely forget last night was draft night then find out at 9:45 AM this morning..
I mean it's not exactly like some long awaited Hollywood blockbuster you didn't know the ending, but your drunk cousin blurted out the ending in the opening credits right after you spent way too much for a theater ticket and outrageously expensive popcorn that tastes like greasy toilet paper.. lol 
Just in case I have no idea what greasy toilet paper actually tastes like and I don't wanna know.. I'll take your word for it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:57 AM)Joelist Wrote: Hill is going to move right into the slot Ricardo Allen held before retiring. And Allen saw a lot of play time because Lou like three safety looks.

This.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I think the pick also lets Bates know it's time to shit or get off the pot.. I think he's a FA next season because he likes the pot.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 10:56 AM)grampahol Wrote: I think the pick also lets Bates know it's time to shit or get off the pot.. I think he's a FA next season because he likes the pot.. 

I'm not sure Hill is a direct replacement for Bates. Bates is strictly a center fielder for Cincinnati and that isn't what Hill is good at. Hill excels in the slot and playing as a box safety. He's closer to Bell than he is Bates, imo. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 10:57 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'm not sure Hill is a direct replacement for Bates. Bates is strictly a center fielder for Cincinnati and that isn't what Hill is good at. Hill excels in the slot and playing as a box safety. He's closer to Bell than he is Bates, imo. 

This.

Because of his small size and speed most people think he is a free safety like Bates. But he actually plays the role of Bell.

The way NFL defenses are adjusting to the new emphasis on passing traditional positions and roles are getting blurred.  Guys that look like safeties are lining up like linebackers.  Cornerbacks are playing safety.  Safeties are playing slot corner.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 11:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Because of his small size and speed most people think he is a free safety like Bates. But he actually plays the role of Bell.

The way NFL defenses are adjusting to the new emphasis on passing traditional positions and roles are getting blurred.  Guys that look like safeties are lining up like linebackers.  Cornerbacks are playing safety.  Safeties are playing slot corner.

Yes, exactly. An even better non-Bengal comparison would be someone like Tyrann Mathieu. I think Hill is going to be utilized exactly like Mathieu was in KC. His versatility will be important. I like the pick. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:33 AM)Trademark Wrote: that's because the TV is slow and i think that they purposely slow it down for ratings

Most people watch picks on TV and don't want the pick spoiled.  It is very bad form to post a pick prior to it being announced on TV.

And you should know this, so i don't know why you're trying to defend yourself.

You dun F'd up.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 09:11 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Who cares what Jamison Hensley thinks.

Smart teams draft BPA. Ravens did that. Ravens had a great first round

Sure didn't make Lamar happy. He fired off a expletive-laden tweet about the trading of Hollywood Brown to move into the 1st round and then a WTF when Linderbaum was selected. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 11:11 AM)Nepa Wrote: Sure didn't make Lamar happy. He fired off a expletive-laden tweet about the trading of Hollywood Brown to move into the 1st round and then a WTF when Linderbaum was selected. 

Generally, people want WR's and RB's, but you win with lineman. But, yes Lamar has like no one to throw to.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 11:11 AM)Nepa Wrote: Sure didn't make Lamar happy. He fired off a expletive-laden tweet about the trading of Hollywood Brown to move into the 1st round and then a WTF when Linderbaum was selected. 

Ravens had a great first round but I am not a fan of moving Hollywood. The Ravens desperately need weapons on the outside and he was one. They only have Andrews now as a viable target. Maybe they believe in Bateman coming up big, but you can't be a run first team and make much noise in the NFL. You are simply going to lose to teams who throw the ball well. Lamar is a good enough passer if he has weapons around him, but he doesn't. I guess the price tag for Hollywood was also tough to swallow, but still. Ravens are in a pickle imo. 
Reply/Quote

Yeah it depends on how you look at it.  They got the best C and best S in the draft, but had 3 larger needs.  So some think they did great and others think their draft is poor.
Reply/Quote
They'll figure their WRs out. Them snagging Linderbaum really ***** burns me.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 11:19 AM)Stewy Wrote: Yeah it depends on how you look at it.  They got the best C and best S in the draft, but had 3 larger needs.  So some think they did great and others think their draft is poor.

They got the top ranked C and S going into the draft based on rankings. The story is unwritten if they'll be the best. We shall see.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 11:20 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They got the top ranked C and S going into the draft based on rankings. The story is unwritten if they'll be the best. We shall see.

Of course.  I wasn't taking either side of the argument.  Bottom line is they got two good players.  We'll see how they pan out like any draft pick.
Reply/Quote
I don’t want to lose Bates. I want to have a top notch defensive backfield for years to come. And when Joey B and the boys run up the score and opposing teams start throwing the ball to get back in the game the turnovers come in bunches.

Almost every time that new Steeler QB throws the ball we can all yell pick it and chances are we get an int.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 12:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This puts Bates on the 1 year and out of town plan.

I'd say the writing is more on the wall for Vonn Bell moreso than Jessie Bates. I bet they either tag Bates again after this year or re-sign him finally. Bell is a FA after this year. 

The drafting of Hill and Bates leaving/being replaced by him are mutually exclusive.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 11:23 AM)Stewy Wrote: Of course.  I wasn't taking either side of the argument.  Bottom line is they got two good players.  We'll see how they pan out like any draft pick.

Yep. Doesn't that same script always seem to play out for them back to Suggs? They get a player projected Top 10 that falls to their pick.
Reply/Quote