Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who would you pick as the Bengals first Rounder?
I think they will take Howard because they won't extend Eifert.

Let's keep our record of refusing to extend first round picks who have turned into good to great players.

I understand Eifert is an injury machine but he is dominant when he is on the field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 10:17 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: If you are in Charge of picking up the First Rounder who would you choose and why?

Derek Barnett DE

Why? We would finally have that pass rusher opposite of Dunlap that will solidify this D-line as one of the best in football.

Derek Barnett - Geno Atkins - Andrew Billings - Carlos Dunlap

Then look to upgrading the OL from the 2nd round on. Particularly Center and adding a raw talented OT for the future.

If Barnett is not there my 2nd favorite pick is a tie between John Ross, Corey Davis, OJ Howard, Rueben Foster and could
add a few more. Seeing too many mocks with Solomon Thomas going before us but if he is there all for him as well.

Lots of ways we could go making me happy in the 1st, go BPA here, after the first is where we will make hay this year.
Reply/Quote
Me and my friend have been going back and forth about the draft this year and we basically decided that there are several of ways the Bengals could go and it would make sense but I wouldn't pass up on the chance to draft a top tier DE.

Defensive End is a need, a premier position and could very well be the best player available anyways. I don't really care which one we take but I think we will end up with Barret or Taco.

The only players I would consider over a DE would be Fournette and Adams but I still think I'd end up with a DE. If there is a crazy run on DE's before our pick I'd go with Howard.
Reply/Quote
Its going to be Howard. Eifert is gone after this season.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 02:04 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Me and my friend have been going back and forth about the draft this year and we basically decided that there are several of ways the Bengals could go and it would make sense but I wouldn't pass up on the chance to draft a top tier DE.

Defensive End is a need, a premier position and could very well be the best player available anyways. I don't really care which one we take but I think we will end up with Barret or Taco.

The only players I would consider over a DE would be Fournette and Adams but I still think I'd end up with a DE. If there is a crazy run on DE's before our pick I'd go with Howard.

I think taking Taco is a bit of a reach, i would rather trade down if we want him.

So many players i would be for though, Dalvin Cook, Fournett, Hooker, Adams etc.

Can't really go wrong.
Reply/Quote
I will try and think like the Bengals FO. #9 pick is a very expensive 1st round contract, much higher than our 21 to 24 picks.

Bengals place value on a 1st round pick in relation to the contract, so I think this removes a LB, RB and a TE for those reasons.

I see it being a DE so I could see Taco Charlton or Barnett, unless we trade down. If we trade down (thus lowering 1st round contract), I see OJ Howard or a LB  coming into play.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 02:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will try and think like the Bengals FO. #9 pick is a very expensive 1st round contract, much higher than our 21 to 24 picks.

Bengals place value on a 1st round pock in relation to the contract, so I think this removes a LB, RB and a TE for those reasons.

I see it being a DE so I could see Taco Charlton or Barnett, unless we trade down. If we trade down (thus lowering 1st round contract), I see OJ Howard or a LB  coming into play.

Makes sense. Wouldn't mind trading down and picking up Cunningham or Reddick either.
Reply/Quote
That scenario would really suck.

I'm definitely trading down (with no QBs taken, some team would like to move up in front of the Browns)

If I can't, I'm going John Ross on offense or Foster on defense.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 02:35 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will try and think like the Bengals FO. #9 pick is a very expensive 1st round contract, much higher than our 21 to 24 picks.

Bengals place value on a 1st round pock in relation to the contract, so I think this removes a LB, RB and a TE for those reasons.

I see it being a DE so I could see Taco Charlton or Barnett, unless we trade down. If we trade down (thus lowering 1st round contract), I see OJ Howard or a LB coming into play.

I would have agreed with this before the current CBA. I don't see this as accurate anymore.
Reply/Quote
Initially I wanted Foster, but lately I've been leaning toward Corey Davis
[Image: 29p43f6.png]

Quote:"Massillon High School is ahead of us," owner Mike Brown said when asked about an indoor practice facility. "We don't have one."
Reply/Quote

I see it being a DE so I could see Taco Charlton or Barnett, unless we trade down. If we trade down (thus lowering 1st round contract), I see OJ Howard or a LB coming into play.

This is a great point. The total money paid for #9 pick is a tad over 17 million. That's a pretty decent cap hit. Best potential value would probably be from a DE, WR or CB.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 04:11 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I would have agreed with this before the current CBA. I don't see this as accurate anymore.

Take a closer look at the rookie deals for top 10 picks. Then see if you see my point. Yes, 100% less than pre-2011 CBA, but going up every year so not inexpensive anymore.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 01:56 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I hope someone does or a OL. But we will probably be the team that takes a O lineman. I will destroy my TV if we do. Kinda feels strange though cause we all know that line needs help. I just don't think any are a safe pick at 9. They "may have" picked 2 O line bust back to back, I'm sure they can do it again with this group.

Do realize though that if we could trade back, get an extra pick and grab the best OT in the draft the Bengals would be better off than they are right now. Either Robinson or Lamp would immediately become our best O-lineman.

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 01:11 AM)Shady Wrote: You could be right about Taco. He does fit our mold, that's certain. But do we want the same mold? I guess we'll see if they choose him or Burnett - two very different players.  Rock On

seems like most mocks now show Burnette going to Carolina at #8...
so it seems it'll be Taco at #9 or someone else...?
we know they really would like a DE in rd #1...but BPA is always taken into consideration...
tough call....is Taco worth it..?  
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 08:44 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Do realize though that if we could trade back, get an extra pick and grab the best OT in the draft the Bengals would be better off than they are right now. Either Robinson or Lamp would immediately become our best O-lineman.

I would be all for trading back and using the extra pick on a O lineman. If the guy they want is gone at 9 he'll yea. Just depends on who's still there and if there is a player on the board that a team is willing to trade up for.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2017, 10:43 PM)Steve Wrote: seems like most mocks now show Burnette going to Carolina at #8...
so it seems it'll be Taco at #9 or someone else...?
we know they really would like a DE in rd #1...but BPA is always taken into consideration...
tough call....is Taco worth it..?  

Personally, I don't think so.

Would they really pass on:

Foster (even in light of Kevin Minter)?
Reddick?
Ross, Davis, or Williams, or Howard?
Jamal Adams?
Hooker, if he's there? 

I know Taco fits the physical model. But he's a very raw talent to take at 9. 

Check Voch Lombardi's report on him.

Voch observes that Taco is 

a.) slow to get off blocks, 
b.) dances around too much, and 
c.) doesn't use his size enough to his advantage. 

These are all coachable things, but I just think there's a chance he slides to the second round. He'd be a better pick at 41 than at 9. That's all I'm saying.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Corey Davis
I think he's a can't miss type of WR.
He does everything well as a WR.
Reply/Quote
Mike Williams
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Solomon Thomas, Rueben Foster, Derek Barnett, John Ross.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2017, 01:50 AM)Shady Wrote: Personally, I don't think so.

Would they really pass on:

Foster (even in light of Kevin Minter)?
Reddick?
Ross, Davis, or Williams, or Howard?
Jamal Adams?
Hooker, if he's there? 

I know Taco fits the physical model. But he's a very raw talent to take at 9. 

Check Voch Lombardi's report on him.

Voch observes that Taco is 

a.) slow to get off blocks, 
b.) dances around too much, and 
c.) doesn't use his size enough to his advantage. 

These are all coachable things, but I just think there's a chance he slides to the second round. He'd be a better pick at 41 than at 9. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, if the top 3 Ends are gone i trade back and either pick Ross, Davis, Howard, Foster, Reddick, Cunningham, Robinson, Lamp or Taco.

Hope we can get a trade partner if the top 3 Ends are gone cause it seems pretty obvious to be the right move.

We would get a good player without reaching all the while adding a pick.
Reply/Quote