Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters
(07-24-2017, 06:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It doesn't even have to be bias. It's human nature (re: refs). A team that's known for winning and making plays to win important games, gets the benefit of the doubt on all close calls. When there's no indisputable evidence to overturn a call...whamo, perceived bias. 

Yeah, the only problem is that these aren't close calls.  They are obvious holding calls.  Plays where our guys are literally tackled and nothing gets called.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 11:48 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, the only problem is that these aren't close calls.  They are obvious holding calls.  Plays where our guys are literally tackled and nothing gets called.

You forgot to add many times right in front of the refs.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 11:48 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, the only problem is that these aren't close calls.  They are obvious holding calls.  Plays where our guys are literally tackled and nothing gets called.

Spot on.

(07-26-2017, 07:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: You forgot to add many times right in front of the refs.

Last years game was laughable, the one in the rain.

Putting MJ in a half nelson. Mellow

I swear if the games were called even we would beat their asses down. Even with our Steeler fan Head Coach.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 09:24 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I've said it before and I'll say it again, when the head coach treats every game like the third game of the season against a non conference game, this team will never win in the playoffs and you can forget about a Super Bowl.

You bet your butt Pittsburgh gets fired up for every divisional game they play. It doesn't matter if it's the Bengals, Browns or Ravens, they get fired up. Even the Browns and Ravens get fired up for games against division rivals, but not the Bengals, every game is exactly the same. It don't matter if it's regular season or playoffs, every game is the same.

i disagree w/ your premise that we don't get jacked up as much as shitsburgh.....
you must be drinking gold colored koolaid.... Whatever
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 09:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll weigh in on this, and I'll reflect to the same words that I've used so many times before.  Winning is an attitude, it starts at the top, with the owner, and resonates throughout the organization.  Until the front office gets hell-bent on winning a championship, the rest of the organization will continue to just do what is asked of them.

Spot on Sunset !

(07-24-2017, 10:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: THE NFL:  We don't want the Bengals to win.

Mike Brown:  Ok, well I'll make it even easier on you and never hire a GM, I'll keep bad and mediocre coaches way too long, I'll bet the farm on Akili Smith, I'll drive Sam Wyche and Boomer Esiason out of town AND if we ever get a coach who can't beat the Steelers I'll give him a lifetime contract.  Hell, I'll even never build an indoor practice facility just to hedge my bets!

All joking aside, if the NFL is trying to keep the Bengals down then Mike Brown is in on the fix.

Ain't no doubt, Mike is the NFL's inside contact  Hilarious

(07-25-2017, 11:30 AM)bengals67 Wrote: I am late to this thread but one poster nailed the Marvin problem.  2-14 at home against the Steelers.

Completely inexcusable and should have resulted in Marvin being fired no later than the 2015 playoff  meltdown.

We will almost certainly lose two games to Steelers this year and probably a third loss if we make the playoffs and play them in first round wild card game.

If we do not lose to the Steelers in the playoffs we will lose to Houston.

Would Urban Meyer or any other coach at OSU still be there with a 2-14 home record against Michigan. Fact of the matter is no other NFL team or any major college team would still have a coach with Marvin's record against main rival or bowl/playoff record.

Any Marvin defenders out there- if any are left- cannot come close to naming a similar situation.

I hope you're wrong about the Steelers this season ! But agree with most of the rest.

(07-26-2017, 07:54 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: You forgot to add many times right in front of the refs.

That's what kills me the most Harley. Down in the middle of the scrum stuff is gonna get missed on occasion. But I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Geno's or Carlos's jersey stretched out 3 feet right out in the open, right in front of a ref, and no flag is thrown !

It's pathetic
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 08:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's what kills me the most Harley. Down in the middle of the scrum stuff is gonna get missed on occasion. But I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Geno's or Carlos's jersey stretched out 3 feet right out in the open, right in front of a ref, and no flag is thrown !

It's pathetic

It makes my stomach churn every time I hear an announcer say, "wow - he got way with that one." Which is often.

Reply/Quote
...and tomorrow we find out what the 2017 Cincinnati Bengals are made of. This game is a must-win!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 06:07 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...and tomorrow we find out what the 2017 Cincinnati Bengals are made of.  This game is a must-win!

Absolutely it is !

It's essentially the season if there's gonna be a season that is ? Lose this game and we're 2-4 and that's just to big a hole to try and dig out of.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 06:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Absolutely it is !

It's essentially the season if there's gonna be a season that is ? Lose this game and we're 2-4 and that's just to big a hole to try and dig out of.

This may be the game that determines the rest of Marvin Lewis career as Bengals HC.....I believe is going to resign or be fired if he does not get to the playoffs then win, this year. They started off in a hole, if they want to make a run at this thing this is a must win game, or they have no shot at the playoffs.

Marvin has shown a complete lack of capability to prepare this team for the Stoolers in the long run! 8 wins -22 losses as Bengals HC, 2 -14 at home, 1-7 in the last 8 games. The good news is he is 6 - 8 @ Pittsburgh which is by far his best percentage against them.

Whatever it is, he better find something tomorrow, or consider the ship sailed!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 06:30 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: This may be the game that determines the rest of Marvin Lewis career as Bengals HC.....I believe is going to resign or be fired if he does not get to the playoffs then win, this year. They started off in a hole, if they want to make a run at this thing this is a must win game, or they have no shot at the playoffs.

Marvin has shown a complete lack of capability to prepare this team for the Stoolers in the long run! 8 wins -22 losses as Bengals HC, 2 -14 at home, 1-7 in the last 8 games. The good news is he is 6 - 8 @ Pittsburgh which is by far his best percentage against them.

Agree, 

Pittsburgh is just as big of an elephant in the room to ML as playoff losses. And as I've said before, perhaps bigger ?

I mean if this team is to truly start running with the big boys deep in the playoffs they've gotta get past the Pittsburgh kryptonite. They've got to learn how to win !
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 07:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For the Cincinnati Bengals to get into the playoffs consistently....

<snip>

It's time for the Steelers to be scared.  Only the Cincinnati Bengals have the power to put them back where they were in the 1960s.  Last.

I like your font! Essay style writing, too.  ThumbsUp
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 07:10 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I like your font! Essay style writing, too.  ThumbsUp

Coming from you that means a lot. I like your style too.
Reply/Quote
It's going to take more than beating Pittsburgh once. We need to beat them like 5 out of 6. We've beat them twice in a year before and went 6-0 in our division and then reverted back.
Reply/Quote
Prior to Mike taking over, the Bengals were 21-20 vs the Steelers.

Since Mike took over, they are 14-40 and 5-23 at home (including 2 PO games).

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 09:20 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: Our fans honestly think the reffs are biased against the Bengals - and that bias costs us games vs teams like Pitts. 

Cmmon.  

I know right?

The Steelers routinely spank the Bengals, and abuse them like an asshole big brother. Has nothing to do with the refs. We would have beat them in the last playoff game, had we simply kept our poise.

This is a must win in my mind, because of the hole they dug for themselves. If they manage to be in contention for the division, this head to head division game will be huge.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 06:30 PM)ShowMeUrTDs Wrote: This may be the game that determines the rest of Marvin Lewis career as Bengals HC.....I believe is going to resign or be fired if he does not get to the playoffs then win, this year. They started off in a hole, if they want to make a run at this thing this is a must win game, or they have no shot at the playoffs.

They have played the Steelers tougher on the road in recent years, which definitely gives me hope they can win tomorrow.

However, I don't think this game, or the win-loss record overall will matter as far as Marvin's future here. He's 8-22 against the Steelers, 0-7 in the postseason and has struggled mightily in big stage / prime time games. None of that has deterred Mike and Katie in the slightest. The only thing that almost kept Marvin from returning was 'amount of control' issues after the 2010 season.

I think Marvin's future depends on Marvin. If he wants to be back, he will be back.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 07:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For the Cincinnati Bengals to get into the playoffs consistently and win once they get there, one mental obstacle exists.  This mental obstacle has hung over the Bengals like the Sword of Damocles for decades.  The obstacle of which I write used to be horrible.  They used to be the laughingstock of the entire NFL.  They were the perennial basement dwellers, the worst of the worst, and any team could beat them into a ketchup-like puddle of goo.  Even the Cleveland Browns could pound them into the turf on any given Sunday.

I'm talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Since the 1970s this hasn't been the case.  Pittsburgh has won more titles than anyone and since they are in the AFC North along with our beloved Bengals, it's time to talk about the Bengals' mental block about beating them.  Cincinnati fans share this.  Deep inside, we all know it's very seldom the Bengals beat the Steelers.  This has to change.  The black and yellow thugs are always in the Bengals' way and it's time to defeat this monster once and for all.  

The Cincinnati Bengals will not win a Super Bowl unless they look at the Steelers the way they look at the Browns:  An almost sure win.  I honestly think the Bengals play the Steelers scared even with the close call in the playoff game which the Bengals almost won.  The coaching staff either feeds off the players or doesn't prepare them well to face Pittsburgh and there's no reason for this.  I'm sick of it.  I'm sick of the excuses.  I'm sick of losing to those thugs.  I'm sick of their fans.  I hate their Terrible Towels.  

It's time for the Steelers to be scared.  Only the Cincinnati Bengals have the power to put them back where they were in the 1960s.  Last.

In reality, they are just another team on the schedule.  However, I see this team's psyche soaring if they can deliver a sound victory over them on the road to take a near-tie atop the AFC North.  This is a huge no-excuses game, and the Bengals are primed to knock them off and never look back.  

Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 07:45 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: We won't instill any fear in Pittsburgh and we won't consistently beat them until Marvin is gone.

I could go into great detail about this issue, but I already have countless times on these boards and I don't think it really needs explaining. Besides, I don't feel like making myself depressed and angry about it anymore.

Bottom line, we are Pittsburgh's b****. We have been for what seems like forever and Marvin clearly isn't the man to get the Pittsburgh monkey off of our back.

I think they will fear our pass rush after today...

Here Piggy, Piggy, Piggy....I want to hear him squeal....
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 02:53 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It may not be bias, but there is an avalanche of horrid calls when it comes to the Steelers.

Just go back to last year's game and watch it.  Tell me how many times the Steelers O-line got called for holding.  Now tell me how many times there was obvious holding.

It may not be bias, but there is definitely always a ton of shitty calls that tend to go against Cincy.

Save yourself the keystrokes...he is a mole looking to troll and a dick out looking for a kick.  That's why he's no man and he's always ban....ned.  Well, I was trying to finish with a rhyme. 
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think they will fear our pass rush after today...

Here Piggy, Piggy, Piggy....I want to hear him squeal....

If we get more than one sack I'll be pleasantly surprised. We always play a different game when we play Pittsburgh, and it's usually not a good one. 
Reply/Quote