Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Hue on his way to Cincy
Everybody is jumping the gun a little here...… nothing says Hue is our next HC. Yes, he was HC in succession when he was here, but that was before his debacle in Cleveland. Lot's of failed HC's go back into coaching ranks and do not get another shot at HC.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everybody is jumping the gun a little here...… nothing says Hue is our next HC. Yes, he was HC in succession when he was here, but that was before his debacle in Cleveland. Lot's of failed HC's go back into coaching ranks and do not get another shot at HC.

Have you forgotten, we are talking about the Cincinnati Bengals here??
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 12:31 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: How do you know he is the best possible coach? please explain that to me. You're pointing out all these things like they're relevant to what we have now. It's not. Completely different set of circumstances. He's not here for camp (or here last 3 years period), he doesn't know the offensive scheme, and is a worse in game manager than ML himself, which is no easy feat. 

It's funny you said anyone who thought we would bring in an outside person mid-season doesn't get business.....but here we are, getting an outside guy to come in mid-season. Rather fascinating way of using that logic, but ok. I think you meant to say only outside person who they bengals are familiar with, which is much closer to the truth.

Or someone that is familiar with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:08 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Or someone that is familiar with the Bengals.

Ok, glad we can clear that up. It's not the best possible coach coach we could get half-way thru the season, but the one they're more familiar with. Maybe third time is the charm with this line of coaching decision making?  Nervous
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Everybody is jumping the gun a little here...… nothing says Hue is our next HC. Yes, he was HC in succession when he was here, but that was before his debacle in Cleveland. Lot's of failed HC's go back into coaching ranks and do not get another shot at HC.

The fact that Hue isn't going to get another HC offer is exactly why we are concerned he's going to end up the HC here.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:17 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Ok, glad we can clear that up. It's not the best possible coach coach we could get half-way thru the season, but the one they're more familiar with. Maybe third time is the charm with this line of coaching decision making?  Nervous

Who do you think would be better? Please show me a team that brought in someone mid season with no familiarity to the team? I’ll gladly retract my statement.
Reply/Quote
Hey, Belichick trudged through Cleveland before landing in NE. and we've seen how that worked out ....  Ninja

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it (until I sober up)
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The fact that Hue isn't going to get another HC offer is exactly why we are concerned he's going to end up the HC here.

I'll worry about that if and when it happens. As for right now, he is the perfect choice to come in and assist Marvin with his now dual role.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I'll worry about that if and when it happens. As for right now, he is the perfect choice to come in and assist Marvin with his now dual role.

Fair enough.  I just assume Hue is back on that "assistant to become the HC eventually" path that he was on before the Browns offered him the HC gig.  Hain't no team gonna offer him a HC gig and save us from him being the HC this time.  We are back where we were in 2015.  Good ol' 2015!
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Fair enough.  I just assume Hue is back on that "assistant to become the HC eventually" path that he was on before the Browns offered him the HC gig.  Hain't no team gonna offer him a HC gig and save us from him being the HC this time.  We are back where we were in 2015.  Good ol' 2015!

I really don't think so. I believe if we promote from inside again, it will be Lazor….
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:26 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I really don't think so. I believe if we promote from inside again, it will be Lazor….

Could be, but I'm not really terrified of the idea of Hue being the HC.  Perhaps that's due to me just being beaten into submission after 30 years as a Bengals fan, though.  Honestly, Hue did pretty well with the Raiders and the Browns were a lost cause of a franchise for 2 of his 3 years there (and now they're just mostly bad), so I'd give him the HC nod over Lazor.  I'm not exactly floored with Lazor as an OC, so the idea of him being the next HC carries more red flags than Hue being HC.

So, resume-wise and Mike Brown's favorite-wise I'd assume Hue would have higher odds to be the next HC.  Like I said, Hue was the next man up according to Mike Brown fairly recently.  It'll be interesting to see how this all goes, at least.
Reply/Quote
Rather than give an emotional response fueled only by Hue's 3-36-1 record as Brown's HC, I'll try to be reasonable instead.

1. Hue has been successful every time he's been a coach for us. Heck, it's how he got the Browns job.

2. I cannot repeat this enough...the Browns were clearly tanking those first 2 years. The only year Hue really got was 2018, and he had a snake gunning for his job (Haley), yet still managed a 2-5-1 record and obvious improvement. They lost 3 games by a FG, 2 of them in OT. They played the Saints and Steelers better than we did.

That said, while I'm good with having Hue on the staff, I don't want him as our next HC. Not because of his Browns record (which I don't really fault him for), but because he couldn't handle the situation with Haley. I believe Haley was more at fault than Hue, but Hue wasn't able to handle it internally before it became public. He also had control issues in Oakland when he was HC.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Fair enough.  I just assume Hue is back on that "assistant to become the HC eventually" path that he was on before the Browns offered him the HC gig.  Hain't no team gonna offer him a HC gig and save us from him being the HC this time.  We are back where we were in 2015.  Good ol' 2015!

I can remember back, just a couple short years ago, when many regulars on here were beside themselves that Hue was leaving for Cleveland.  Some thought he was going up there to become the great "Bengal Destroyer".  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
No Lazor! No Hue! After almost two decades of Marvin this fan base deserves a HC they can get excited about. Find the hottest coordinator or someone from college, but ffs no promoting from within. I want them to clean house when Marvin finally walks away. Pipe dream, I know.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can remember back, just a couple short years ago, when many regulars on here were beside themselves that Hue was leaving for Cleveland.  Some thought he was going up there to become the great "Bengal Destroyer".  

People also couldn't believe he would leave here when he was going to be the HC here aaaannnny second now.  Well he's back.
Reply/Quote

(11-13-2018, 01:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The fact that Hue isn't going to get another HC offer is exactly why we are concerned he's going to end up the HC here.

Pretty much.

I would add though that the Bengals have not approached coaching changes as other teams do. Hue failing completely in two attempts will likely hurt his chances of getting a shot anywhere but Cincinnati, where we have a head coach who would not be a head coach anywhere but Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 01:19 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Who do you think would be better? Please show me a team that brought in someone mid season with no familiarity to the team?  I’ll gladly retract my statement.

I would inquire about Coughlin. Would also spit ball Van Pelt managing the game. I mean they really just need him for time-outs, going for it on 4th, etc. They don't need a new special assistant coach to manage the clock on offense.

Not many (if any at all) teams I found have brought in another coach from outside the org mid-season. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:09 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I would inquire about Coughlin. Would also spit ball Van Pelt managing the game. I mean they really just need him for time-outs, going for it on 4th, etc. They don't need a new special assistant coach to manage the clock on offense.

Not many (if any at all) teams I found have brought in another coach from outside the org mid-season. 

Is Coughlin not the Vice President of Football Operations in Jacksonville? I did say possible right? Or are we in the land of anything goes?
Reply/Quote
This one is hard for me to wrap my head around. Just let it play out I guess.

Seems like Marvin is doing defensive duties and we have a new 'special assistant to the head coach' helping Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2018, 02:18 PM)Goalpost Wrote: This one is hard for me to wrap my head around.  Just let it play out I guess.

WHO DEY!!!   HUE DEY!!!!!  Hilarious Ninja :andy:  Nervous

SEIZE the HUE DEY!!!! Hilarious Ninja :andy:  Nervous
Reply/Quote