Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Joe Mixon is a Bengal
(05-02-2017, 11:35 AM)Wyche Wrote: Pretty much my sentiments exactly...

Same here. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:28 AM)snowy Wrote: I wish folks (including Mixon) would stop referring to the assault as a "mistake". Assault is a crime, and I wish the Bengals hadn't drafted him. That said, I wish Mixon well for doing what he can to change his life, and hope he does well from here on out. Whole lotta wishin' and hopin' goin' on.

I get your concern, I don't get your comment. Is he and others supposed to refer as an accomplishment (opposite of a mistake)?

I would hope anyone who commits any crime would take responsibility by acknowledging "it was a mistake I committed that crime"

Also, I do hope anyone who feels this young man deserves the death penalty for this crime has never made a mistake, never driven drunk and is not being a hypocrite morally.

Forgiveness helps us all move forward in the eyes in God.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I get your concern, I don't get your comment. Is he and others supposed to refer as an accomplishment (opposite of a mistake)?

I would hope anyone who commits any crime would take responsibility by acknowledging "it was a mistake I committed that crime"

Also, I do hope anyone who feels this young man deserves the death penalty for this crime has never made a mistake, never driven drunk and is not being a hypocrite morally.

Quote:That said, I wish Mixon well for doing what he can to change his life, and hope he does well from here on out. 

Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I would remind everyone to stay on topic — Mixon, football, runningbacks, the Bengals, etc — and not on each other. Keep it about football and don't make it personal.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:51 AM)Benton Wrote: I would remind everyone to stay on topic — Mixon, football, runningbacks, the Bengals, etc — and not on each other. Keep it about football and don't make it personal.

Reply/Quote
13 pages...my goodness.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:51 AM)Benton Wrote: I would remind everyone to stay on topic — Mixon, football, runningbacks, the Bengals, etc — and not on each other. Keep it about football and don't make it personal.

Everything in this topic has nothing to do with football and is very personal.  I know your anti Mixon so rock on with your bad self

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Or rock on with your mixon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 12:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 13 pages...my goodness.

Every thread on Mixon seems to hit double digits. And it's always about debate of morals. It's ridiculous.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 09:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why does drinking and driving not bother you?

More people are killed by drunk drivers than in bar fights but for some reason drunk driving does not bother you at all.  Why is that?

And I do NOT think it is cool that drunk driving does not bother you.

I missed the part that I said that I agree with drinking and driving.. I get it though.. it's a thug league. Love it or leave it, right? 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Every thread on Mixon seems to hit double digits. And it's always about debate of morals. It's ridiculous.

He had one big incident and that's it. I think people are taking their anger with Pacman out on Mixon.

Pacman has multiple incidents that occurred since he's been a Bengal. Including assaulting a woman and spitting on another...and he shows no remorse.
Mixon had one major incident as a 17 year old, 3 years ago, and seems apologetic. He gets a clean slate from me because he's done nothing wrong as a Bengal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 12:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: Everything in this topic has nothing to do with football and is very personal.  I know your anti Mixon so rock on with your bad self

This needs to stop. Although I disagree with Benton, bringing up an off-field incident with a player is not a violation of the COC.

Getting personal with board members is. The reasons for both should be obvious. This is not a discussion, and any further posts that are off-topic will be deleted.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He had one big incident and that's it. I think people are taking their anger with Pacman out on Mixon.

Pacman has multiple incidents that occurred since he's been a Bengal. Including assaulting a woman and spitting on another...and he shows no remorse.
Mixon had one major incident as a 17 year old, 3 years ago, and seems apologetic. He gets a clean slate from me because he's done nothing wrong as a Bengal.

If you've noticed, I stopped most of my debating in Mixon threads because I don't care to get into moral debates with anyone anymore. Morals are something that people are very stubborn about and unwilling to change their minds on. I learned my lesson trying to bring logic into a Mixon conversation and set emotions aside about a month ago.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 03:14 PM)McC Wrote: Okay.  You don't understand the difference.  Got it, High and Mighty.  Go jump off a high and mighty building.

It has nothing to do with high and mighty. It has to do with opinions. Ours are different. Your maturity level is telling me to go kill myself and mine is telling you to have a nice day. We have different upbringing, obviously.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you've noticed, I stopped most of my debating in Mixon threads because I don't care to get into moral debates with anyone anymore. Morals are something that people are very stubborn about and unwilling to change their minds on. I learned my lesson trying to bring logic into a Mixon conversation and set emotions aside about a month ago.

You're right. It's heavy subject matter. The drafting of Mixon almost ensures that JN will look like PnR for awhile.

Which I love. Because I just love PnR.  Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2017, 08:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So in your world this kid should have no shot at redemption for what he did huh? So much for judge not....

He should have a shot at redemption. He should have gotten some serious hail time too, but he's a talented ballplayer. This team overlooks character and discipline. I don't like that we drafted him. I think that he committed a terrible crime and wasn't punished by the law. If reports of him aiming a car at someone as if he were gonna run them down is true, then he hasn't learned has he?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 09:49 AM)ZoneRead Wrote: The double standard exists. Listen I was raised to not hit a woman under any circumstances...and I have stayed true to that upbringing. Things are a little different today, women's groups scream and demonstrate about the need for equality. We have gender issues, and no one can decide which bathroom they want to take a piss in. People want equality, but only if it benefits them.That being the case, if a woman wants to fight like a man, she should be ready to deal with the consequences. She attacked him first, he responded in the blink of an eye. Sure that punch had a little more stank on it than her push and slap, but she initiated the fight. She also seems to think that her jaw has a price tag on it.

If a man initiates the contact it is off to jail.

You just said " under any circumstance".  He could have pushed her away from him and left. He used all of his 230 pounds of might on a 100 pound female and broke her face... but hey.. if he was a taxi driver and not a footballer, it would still be fine I guess.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I get your concern, I don't get your comment. Is he and others supposed to refer as an accomplishment (opposite of a mistake)?

I think folks are confusing "mistake" with "accident".

You can do something on purpose and still look back with regret. That's called a mistake. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:54 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think folks are confusing "mistake" with "accident".

You can do something on purpose
and still look back with regret. That's called a mistake. 

True

You can also commit a criminal act in the heat of the moment too.

How can anyone think Mixon woke up one morning and planned a vicious assault on a woman he did not know?

He did make a mistake in the heat of a moment and hard to argue anything otherwise in this situation.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 01:41 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He should have a shot at redemption. He should have gotten some serious hail time too, but he's a talented ballplayer. This team overlooks character and discipline. I don't like that we drafted him. I think that he committed a terrible crime and wasn't punished by the law. If reports of him aiming a car at someone as if he were gonna run them down is true, then he hasn't learned has he?

He took a plea deal that included a one year deferred sentence, community service and counseling. Since he didn't violate his probation and completed his community service and counseling, he was able to have the 1 year sentence waived after the probation ended.

Jail time may have been on the table if he had gone to court for Assault 1 or Assault 2 (likely 2, as he did break bones), but I suspect the prosecutor wanted to settle because there would undeniably be people on the jury that have the opinion of self defense justifying or lessening his offense. That's a case that, while you may be 85% sure will be a conviction, always has the risk factor of the jury. 

I've read (and seen) that prosecutors will often take the sure thing lesser sentence than risk the higher sentence to an opinionated jury, especially in cases like this that obviously have grey space. Regardless of who the defendant is.

According to this website, when asked what the jail time for breaking bones in a fight is, the responses ranged from 3 to 9 months if convicted of Assault 2. If pled down to Assault 3, 1 to 3 months of jail or community service and fines. In many cases, first time offenders (which is what Joe was) often avoid jail time.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/what-is-the-penalty-for-assulting-punching-someone-893110.html

Specifically, there was one excerpt that sounds uncannily familiar to this case:

" ...the defendant, might be able to work out some sort of a compromise of a misdemeanor where you cover any medical bills, pay a filing fee, and write say a letter of apology and if the court grants your motion the case could be dismissed. There are numerous options for a first time assault and many times if it is a gross misdemeanor, non domestic violence, type assault a combination of community service and an anger management assessment and class will help you work out a resolution whereby you keep the whole incident off your record."

So, despite the bone breaking putting it into Assault 2 or 3, if he pled down to a gross misdemeanor, the punishment seems in line with the typical punishment a regular citizen would get.

I don't think him being a ball player had all that much to do with his sentencing. Maybe he avoided a month or 2 in jail, but certainly not "serious" jail time.

As far as the justice system is concerned, he served the punishment that was deemed appropriate for his offense.
Reply/Quote