Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
PnR Decorum and suspensions
(03-07-2016, 03:07 PM)Benton Wrote: I think it's an understatement to say things have been getting out of hand (again) in PnR threads. The mod team tries to let this place be as open as possible for discussion but (again) personal insults, name calling and attacks on each other won't be tolerated, regardless of whether or not they're in a thread or in personal messages.

Likewise, following someone from thread to thread to rehash old arguments will stop. Engage in discussions, welcome discourse, but when you've said your peace, leave it be.

With that said, we will be utilizing a new suspension system in PnR. If you engage in personal attacks, spam threads (or the forum itself with multiple threads on the same topic), or otherwise troll PnR you will be suspended from it temporarily. PnR suspensions will not necessarily result in suspensions from the rest of the board, but they might. That will be judged on an individual basis. But during the time, you will be prohibited from posting in PnR.

And I would encourage anyone who finds themselves temporarily banned from PnR not to address the issue in other forums, as that will result in more severe consequences (like I'll take you off my Christmas card list).

We also have the feature of prohibiting posters from posting in a particular thread. Again, if you find yourself unable to post in a thread you've been prohibited from posting in, I encourage you to not go address that in another thread. Consider it — and the PnR suspensions — a "cooling off" period.

When does this part get enforced? 
(03-13-2016, 07:00 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: When does this part get enforced? 

Well.....

(03-12-2016, 10:30 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: My policy is not to discuss particular disciplinary actions. However, I will make this general statement over recent disciplinary actions: All recent suspensions have been due to comments in posts concerning other posters. We do not police the topics in P&R, outside of making sure language and presentation of ideas are within board standards. People are generally free to express their ideas. And other people are free to comment on those ideas. The line is drawn when someone makes comments about another person rather than that persons expressed ideas, or making assumptions about what a person thinks beyond what they have written on the board.

Besides its all different topics. We have covered this.
(03-13-2016, 07:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well.....

Besides its all different topics.   We have covered this.

It's literally the same topic. 
Just different events.

Make yourself a "Migrant super thread" and be done with it. 
(03-13-2016, 07:26 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's literally the same topic. 
Just different events.

Make yourself a "Migrant super thread" and be done with it. 

Not even close to the same thing. Terrorism, sexual assault, immigration policy, and hate crimes using religion. Not to mention none of these are even in the same country.
(03-13-2016, 07:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not even close to the same thing.    Terrorism, sexual assault, immigration policy, and hate crimes using religion.   Not to mention none of these are even in the same country.

Four of the stories you have "migrant" in the title of the thread.

Four.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(03-13-2016, 07:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: Four of the stories you have "migrant" in the title of the thread.

Four.

Want me to replace it with _______ ?
(03-13-2016, 07:00 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: When does this part get enforced? 

When it happens.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(03-13-2016, 07:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not even close to the same thing.    Terrorism, sexual assault, immigration policy, and hate crimes using religion.   Not to mention none of these are even in the same country.

So? They are all about migrants. You wouldn't post any of them if they didn't involve migrants. 

(03-13-2016, 08:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Want me to replace it with _______ ?

Or just a super thread for your obsessive migrant news. 

(03-13-2016, 08:07 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: When it happens.

So four threads about the same "problem" in a day isn't spamming? 

Thought these new rules would make it more inviting in here. I was wrong.
(03-13-2016, 08:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Want me to replace it with _______ ?

No. I want all the migrant are evil stories in one thread.

I want all the transgenders are mentally ill stories in one thread.

But I don't run the place.  I just watch what happens. Rock On
(03-13-2016, 08:41 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: So four threads about the same "problem" in a day isn't spamming? 

Thought these new rules would make it more inviting in here. I was wrong.

While they may be variations on a theme, Lucie's threads differ enough. They address specific incidents. As this is politics and religions, pretty much everyone's threads are variations on a theme (conservative view, liberal view, religious view, atheist view, etc.).

As for your other comments:

1) There are no "new rules". The mods have new tools to enforce the old rules and a new commitment to enforcing those rules. This place has run wild with personal insults long enough.
2) Our goal, as mods, is not to make the forum more inviting for particular people by banning topics. Rather, we enforce rules. In that way, we improve posters' experiences.
3) If someone posts a thread that you have no interest in, do not visit it. If no one posts a thread that you are interested in, create your own thread about the topics you wish to discuss.
(03-13-2016, 09:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: No. I want all the migrant are evil stories in one thread.

I want all the transgenders are mentally ill stories in one thread.

But I don't run the place.  I just watch what happens. Rock On

I will take your requests to Benton and we will consider it.
(03-14-2016, 12:34 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I will take your requests to Benton and we will consider it.

We know how that will come out. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Here's the deal with thread combining.

After discussion, we found that the prior Europe/Muslim Immigrant threads could and should be combined as the threads contained related content (Europe, Muslim Immigrants) and because the only responses they seemed to be eliciting anymore were posts about how this topic has already been posted many times and memes).

As for future threads on the topic (by any poster), we will allow the thread some time to see if it develops into a coherent conversation and will decide on a case-by-case instance whether or not it needs to be combined into the combined thread.

As far as the 'transgenders are mentally ill' threads, we don't have many recent threads within the past week or so on these topics. Therefore, things stay as they are.

(03-14-2016, 02:21 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: As for future threads on the topic (by any poster), we will allow the thread some time to see if it develops into a coherent conversation and will decide on a case-by-case instance whether or not it needs to be combined into the combined thread.
I think that's a good move.  It will keep things less cluttered.  Same with all similar threads whether they be on one political person or one topic.
If people thought a thread redundant, why would they not refrain from replying and let it fall down the list ?
Why take the bait/hook ?
:hooked:
(03-14-2016, 11:24 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: If people thought a thread redundant,  why would they not refrain from replying and let it fall down the list ?
Why take the bait/hook ?
:hooked:

This is the way it was on the old board. But we have fewer posters here and, frankly, the posters are less prolific when coming up with new threads. A series of threads can stay on the front page here for over a week.
(03-14-2016, 11:37 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: This is the way it was on the old board. But we have fewer posters here and, frankly, the posters are less prolific when coming up with new threads. A series of threads can stay on the front page here for over a week.

Honestly, I see some awesome stuff on reddit and think to myself "gee, this would be great for P&R". When I do break down and share it, though, no conversation. The one exception to this has been the education thread I posted which, while it wasn't burning down the house with posts, generated some interesting discussion. Most of the time, though, topics get ignored and no real discussion happens. Doesn't encourage much in the way of thread starting.
(03-14-2016, 11:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, I see some awesome stuff on reddit and think to myself "gee, this would be great for P&R". When I do break down and share it, though, no conversation. The one exception to this has been the education thread I posted which, while it wasn't burning down the house with posts, generated some interesting discussion. Most of the time, though, topics get ignored and no real discussion happens. Doesn't encourage much in the way of thread starting.

It's your presentation. Tongue
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-14-2016, 11:37 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: This is the way it was on the old board. But we have fewer posters here and, frankly, the posters are less prolific when coming up with new threads. A series of threads can stay on the front page here for over a week.

That being the case, why are people so sensitive to seeing something posted that they know the OP is prone to present ?
The general complaint is "it's knocking the good threads off of the front page".
Why not ignore the thread they dislike and quit bumping it up with bickering ?
Why not bump the threads you find superior ?
It just doesn't make any sense to me.

(03-14-2016, 11:47 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Honestly, I see some awesome stuff on reddit and think to myself "gee, this would be great for P&R". When I do break down and share it, though, no conversation. The one exception to this has been the education thread I posted which, while it wasn't burning down the house with posts, generated some interesting discussion. Most of the time, though, topics get ignored and no real discussion happens. Doesn't encourage much in the way of thread starting.

I understand.
Everyone would rather just take jabs at one another. 
I've fallen into the same routine, more than I care to admit.
This is why I've resorted to doing (semi-)humorous drive-by posting. 

Your stuff is too high brow. Dumb it down some.

Mellow

(03-14-2016, 12:25 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: That being the case, why are people so sensitive to seeing something posted that they know the OP is prone to present ?
The general complaint is "it's knocking the good threads off of the front page".
Why not ignore the thread they dislike and quit bumping it up with bickering ?
Why not bump the threads you find superior ?
It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I understand.
Everyone would rather just take jabs at one another. 
I've fallen into the same routine, more than I care to admit.
This is why I've resorted to doing (semi-)humorous drive-by posting. 

It's vicious cycle sometimes. I think we've all fallen into it at least once. You plan on avoiding posting in a thread and then you see something so stupid, you have to comment. It's the stupidity vortex. Sucks down more men than Gianna Michaels.